clickable cockpits, what's the appeal?

Riderocket

BraveSirRobin
1 minute ago, unlikely_spider said:

Once in the Tomcat while in VR (if you may indulge me to speak about a modernish plane here for a moment), I was looking down at the radio panel to change the channel I was on. But the sun was shining directly on the panel and the LCD was washed out and I couldn't see the value. So I rolled my plane so that shadow crept across the panel and I could see the numbers, then turned the requisite knob to the channel I needed to be on.

Maybe that speaks more to the complex radio mgmt that DCS has vs GB, but it also directly involved interaction with the cockpit vs just hitting a keyboard combo or HOTAS switch to get what I wanted. The immersion is unrivaled and that moment really struck me as to how realistic things can be when done properly.

Sorry, but that is just silly.  In real life you would just block the sun with your hand.    

Instead you decided to convince yourself that gamey workarounds are real life.

• Haha 1
unlikely_spider
2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I like that level of detail too. But you’re missing the fact that each DCS aircraft takes about 18 months to make and costs $49. For GB to incorporate that level of detail for 50 aircraft is impossible. 

Sure, I don't think anyone is disputing that. I just wanted to explain why clickpits appeal to me.

• Like 1
AndyJWest

Ignoring the cost, and the development time, the need to move into larger accommodation, having a fully-functional replica cockpit in a full-motion-simulator built especially for each aircraft type would appeal to me. 

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Confused 1
BraveSirRobin
1 minute ago, AndyJWest said:

Ignoring the cost, and the development time, the need to move into larger accommodation, and the maintenance costs, having a fully-functional replica cockpit in a full-motion-simulator built especially for each aircraft simulated would appeal to me. 

It feels like the devs should do this for us if they really care about immersion.

unlikely_spider
10 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Ignoring the cost, and the development time, the need to move into larger accommodation, having a fully-functional replica cockpit in a full-motion-simulator built especially for each aircraft type would appeal to me. 

Or just get a VR headset 🙂

Enceladus
2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

But you’re missing the fact that each DCS WWII aircraft takes about 18+ months to make and costs $49

Well, since 2012, 9 WW2 DCS planes have been added, and since 2013, 41 planes have been added by Team Fusion to the IL-2 Dover series, not including modifications and Trop. variants.

You can see how having a team fully committed to WW2 planes and making the cockpits only include items essential for flight and combat enables more planes to be made in roughly the same timeframe.

:salute:

• Haha 1
SharpeXB
7 hours ago, Enceladus said:

Well, since 2012, 9 WW2 DCS planes have been added

There are K-4, 190 A-8, 190 D-9, P-47, P-51, Spit Mk IX, I-16. That’s 7 completed aircraft. 

Mosquito and F4U are still in development, so not counted. And “since 2012” = 9 years!

Completing 50 aircraft at that pace would take 64 years! 😮

7 hours ago, Enceladus said:

You can see how having a team fully committed to WW2 planes and making the cockpits only include items essential for flight and combat enables more planes to be made in roughly the same timeframe.

Yeah but having clickable cockpits without full systems is pointless because that level of functionality can be accomplished with a keyboard for much less cost. TF clearly operates at a loss unlike ED and 1CGS. And TF has no choice but to continue an already bad decision made in CloD. Perhaps it was not a good idea to give a bailout to CloD because now the fanboys will be saying “look we can have clickable cockpits” whereas in reality CloD bankrupted it’s original developer and that’s been forgotten now. 

And as far as I can tell, despite all these aircraft DWT offers nothing else. Does it have a career mode you can fly all 41 of these aircraft in? Because GB does. In lieu of operable magneto switches GB allows you to fly a full SP career, spanning several theaters, in every one of the 50 aircraft. In CloD and DTW there’s nothing to do in these planes but play with switches. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Confused 1
AndyJWest
12 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Or just get a VR headset 🙂

VR doesn't give tactile feedback. Or G forces. Or the pain in the right knee you get climbing into the pilot's seat of a DC-3, as you clout it against the elevator trim wheel. Which reminds me, I don't just want the cockpit modelled visually. It has to smell right too. Any DC-3/C-47 simulator for example that doesn't smell of avgas, Lucky Strikes, hydraulic fluid, burnt insulation, bacon sandwiches, deceased rodents and urine is clearly arcade. 😛

SharpeXB
18 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

It has to smell right too. Any DC-3/C-47 simulator for example that doesn't smell of avgas, Lucky Strikes, hydraulic fluid, burnt insulation, bacon sandwiches, deceased rodents and urine is clearly arcade

Be careful what you ask for! 😆

https://www.olorama.com/virtual-reality?gclid=Cj0KCQjwk4yGBhDQARIsACGfAetzw0Mcy_4i_YhMOvvyyrZV-Yd18h3Ca8YLVkhc887o3KYtP7PjHAcaAnU9EALw_wcB

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Confused 1
AndyJWest
4 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The VR system seems to be limited to 10 smells. Clearly not enough to accurately model a DC-3 cockpit. Maybe the 40-smell VIP home theatre version might just do the job, at a pinch. We should probably ask  Dakpilot what he thinks about this. Are 40 smells enough?

Or maybe DC-3 pilots don't actually have a sense of smell any more, for much the same reason that they can't hear anything under 110 decibels...

=621=Samikatz

As someone who owns, plays and on the whole likes CloD/DWT, the clickpits are not part of that at all. I set everything up on take-off and then never touch my mouse again. If it's important, it's on my HOTAS

Dakpilot
1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

The VR system seems to be limited to 10 smells. Clearly not enough to accurately model a DC-3 cockpit. Maybe the 40-smell VIP home theatre version might just do the job, at a pinch. We should probably ask  Dakpilot what he thinks about this. Are 40 smells enough?

Or maybe DC-3 pilots don't actually have a sense of smell any more, for much the same reason that they can't hear anything under 110 decibels...

Tricky one.. 

In Africa there Probably has not been  DC-3 which has not had sacks of kapenta in it, a tiny foul smelling dried/smoked lake fish, and they always spill out of the sacks and get down between the floor boards, goat wee is another not so nice one, some-one usually barfs, there is always and underlying sweaty smell from the loaders, 

Okapi or Gauloises are the smoke of choice, both pretty pungent.

Manioc/casava is one of the more common foods, pax more often than not have some stashed, roasted and wrapped in plantain leaves, unfortunately (to me) it is the only thing I've come across that manages to smell like puke and poop at the same time. 

Suprisingly DC-3 crew have a very finely tuned and highly trained sense of smell, most of the local brewery's use formaldehyde as an additive  and the odd employee can sometimes be a bit liberal when adding to the mix.. So you need a good nose to sniff out a wrong un, even when ice cold!! 

No toilet on a real man's DC-3

so you don't want to have had a few bad Simba's or an off Turbo King (yep it's a real beer)  and add to the mix! 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Edited by Dakpilot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 1:31 PM, SharpeXB said:

CloD shouldn’t be held up as an example of anything except what not to do when making a flight sim. 

I would also say the same about Pacific Fighters and Flying Circus. Yes, those games didn't put the developers out of business, but they (along with the original CloD) are dishonorable mentions of the IL-2 series.

Even if CloD didn't have clickpits, based on all the other bugs such as this and this, as well as a statement from Buzzsaw Joke II :: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz General Discussions (steamcommunity.com),  it still would have ended in disaster for 1C and at best they would have packed it up after Moscow.

Also, I'd get DW-T over stand-alone Pacific Fighters any day; primarily because of a flyable torpedo bomber for each side and a great depiction of ships, things that PF didn't have.