newbravado

Hey Guys, Just got a HP Reverb G2. It's a whole new world.

I feel like I'm playing IL2 for the first time (almost)

Here's some problems I am seeing and maybe you VR Gods know the answers. Help get me going faster.

First in the hanger, the selection screens are too close. I can't move in the hanger at all. Like not being able to view the aircraft 360 degrees. I'm stuck in one place.

Is this normal?

Second, In plane, I'm sitting near the dash, so I have to physically move my chair away from my desk to get the proper distance, but then I'm too far away from my keyboard and joystick.

Third, I'm sitting just a little too high, my head is at the top of the canopy. How do I adjust this?

Actually took a maiden flight, Wow what a rush! Crashed the landing, But that will take a little time.

dburne

You need to bind re-center VR view to a button on your stick or throttle. Launch the game in VR, get yourself positions and hit that button.

It is in settings menu - either under camera or pilot head control. I think it says "Default VR View".

You can also bind some VR zoom levelsto buttons in there as well.

ktriggerk0ld

I think the default key is Num 5 (nuber pad 5) to recenter the view. Try it if you haven't already.

The hangar is the start menu, I don't think you can move around it to get a 360 view of the aircraft. If you can, it'd be new to me too.

newbravado

Finally home. 

Due to the amount of new cables I'm faced with, I'm slowly working out solutions.

Such as getting rid of the old surge protector with a 18 inch cord, and getting a new one with a 6 foot cord etc.

I'm sure you know that story.

Thanks for the replies, I'll give them a try.

335th_GRFirdimigdi
9 hours ago, newbravado said:

First in the hanger, the selection screens are too close. I can't move in the hanger at all. Like not being able to view the aircraft 360 degrees. I'm stuck in one place.

Is this normal?

Second, In plane, I'm sitting near the dash, so I have to physically move my chair away from my desk to get the proper distance, but then I'm too far away from my keyboard and joystick.

As @dburne said map the VR recenter control.

However for adjusting cockpit position you'll need to use the "Save current corrections in head snap position" (default is F10 under Pilot Head Control as well, two lines under "Default VR view"). To adjust, physically move in to the position you find comfortable in the cockpit and press that binding (helps to temporarily assign it to a mouse click or something portable in case your keyboard is too far away) then return to your normal sitting position and press the "Default VR view" so it centers on the previously saved location. Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1
newbravado

Thanks for the help guys. 

It did the trick. You saved me hours of experimenting.

The VR experience is amazing.

I'm going to have to re-train myself on everything. 

I've already been changing hot keys. (I might lose my canopy mid-flight)

The toughest will be checking six.

I was thinking it would be nice to have an all VR multi-player server. Just an idea. That way we would all be on the same playing field.

Again, thanks for the assist.

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
48 minutes ago, newbravado said:

For checking your six - Really useful for putting your Chiropractor (or Physio) out of business.

Re canopy loss mid flight - Been there done that!, gets quite noisy!

Welcome to VR land!!

• Upvote 1
[CPT]Crunch

If you want to move in a circular motion around the aircraft in the hanger and admire the paint and weapons load out, you can do it in the Quick Mission second map screen, where it offers you a second chance at tuning your weapons.

Use your mouse to ring around the plane and VR zoom works to view closer.

Edited by [CPT]Crunch
  • Thanks 1
Dagwoodyt
On 4/18/2021 at 8:52 PM, newbravado said:

Thanks for the help guys. 

It did the trick. You saved me hours of experimenting.

The VR experience is amazing.

I'm going to have to re-train myself on everything. 

I was thinking it would be nice to have an all VR multi-player server. Just an idea. That way we would all be on the same playing field.

Again, thanks for the assist.

VoiceAttack decreases button presses substantially. Button presses can still be used as a backup.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
newbravado

I notice my mouse wheel no longer zooms in and out while in flight.

I actually attacked a parked 109 yesterday cause I couldn't ID it properly. A quick zoom in would have solved that.

(I thought I was attacking an enemy airfield...don't ask.)

I hear about VR Zoom, just haven't found how to set it up. I checked in settings with no luck.

Vortice

Right control + number pad 1 = smallest zoom level

Right control + number pad 2 = next zoom level

Right control + number pad 3 = further zoom level

Right control + number pad 0 = greatest zoom level

You have to hold to zoom and release to return to normal view.

I have mapped these commands in VoiceAttack and call them zoom one, zoom two, zoom three and zoom four respectively.

Edited by Vortice
newbravado

Thanks I'll give these a try.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've been used to using the mouse wheel.

[CPT]Crunch

Mouse zoom only works with outside views, inside the pit with VR there are keyboard commands as posted above or you can bind any of those VR levels of zoom to a controller button on your stick or throttle in the controllers settings set up.

newbravado

Thanks, I've rebound every button I have. It's an ongoing process.

335th_GRFirdimigdi

Also make sure to set the zoom speed under Options > Camera to whatever is comfortable for you, the default IMO is a bit too slow for VR.

newbravado
Posted (edited)

My VR findings for what its worth.

I was rendering in VR at @24 fps. This was playable but I thought I could do better and started experimenting.

Turned off HDR, no effect. (made things look dull also)

Turned down draw distance from 150km to 70km. No effect.

changed clouds from ultra to high. No effect.

Changed MSAA to FXAA and got an immediate boost from @24 to @56 fps.

FXAA looked terrible on my flat monitor, but looks good on VR.

MSAA looks great on a monitor, and looks great in VR, but it will cost you in fps.

One thing I noticed about VR, on a monitor combat is 70% and flying is 30%.

Now flying is 80% and combat is 20%. My opinion.

Edited by newbravado
commentary
=420=Syphen

Consider lowering your render resolution in SteamVR for IL2 incrementally till you can hold 70-90FPS.  It makes spotting easier.

newbravado

Thanks, I will look into that.

Just did another test and found that with FXAA my fps were around 64.

The fine tuning continues.

BH_Adabadoo_VR

with reverb g2 you can go down to 60% in steamvr video res and it still looks great

i also use fxaa in vr

newbravado

Strange finding. I need glasses to read. But in VR I don't need glasses at all.

J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr
3 hours ago, newbravado said:

I need glasses to read

Same with me , I have old man's eye too 2+ - but I don't need glasses in glasses too 😁

BH_Adabadoo_VR
11 hours ago, newbravado said:

Strange finding. I need glasses to read. But in VR I don't need glasses at all.

That's actually normal for vr.

If you only need glasses for reading then you won't need them for vr.  The headset lenses focus st infinity to relax the eyes and remove eye strain.

You can't focus that close for any length of time.

If you need glasses for distance vision you still need glasses in vr.

dburne
1 hour ago, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

That's actually normal for vr.

If you only need glasses for reading then you won't need them for vr.  The headset lenses focus st infinity to relax the eyes and remove eye strain.

You can't focus that close for any length of time.

If you need glasses for distance vision you still need glasses in vr.

Same here, I have to have reading glasses to be able to read smaller print, not so much in VR.

newbravado

No glasses for reading in VR is quite strange, but I'm not complaining.

• 2 weeks later...
newbravado

Quick question, In the hanger, the map is in my face. Any way to back it off?

Couldn't find an answer for this on the boards.

335th_GRFirdimigdi

It it's like that even when you recenter position then you can edit startup.cfg and change the variables named or_hud_size (controls the size of all menus, not just hud as the name implies) and or_hud_rad (controls the curvature of the menus - for example I prefer mine flat instead of curvy because the latter adds a bit of distortion I don't quite care for).

newbravado

Thanks, that helped.

I also had an issue where the VR skewed to the left. The grid arrow in SteamVR facing the grid to the left of center. so I was now facing what appeared to be to the right of center. Using the Steam VR centering button didn't really work as it would revert back off center at any moment. The solution was to go back into the WMR setup and re-do the sitting position setup. Why it skewed off center in the first place I have no idea.

Thought I'd just throw this in here incase someone else comes across the same problem. If they can figure out what the hell I'm talking about. Sometimes words are not enough.

newbravado

Another continuing problem, but not the end of the World, is the sound. 

Every once in a while the sound will cut out. Then a few seconds later will come back on.

I searched through my sound settings but cant find any obvious trouble. I read of an Oculus user having the same issue, so I guess maybe it's a Steam VR driver issue?

I can live with it, but I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing this.

335th_GRFirdimigdi

IIRC HP suggests you should not set the volume higher than 90% but I think there was also a relevant firmware update for that last month. Although the reason for that was because it would somehow affect the display (people complained about the screens going black "randomly"); so perhaps it's something similar?

I've not encountered this but also when I'm using the headset's audio I keep the volume at about 50-60% (with the game set to about 30% in the windows mixer).

LLv26_Hartman

@newbravadoI got a new rig last week and it has MSI Tomahawk morherboard. I have Reverb g2 VR and got this same phenomena with my VR. Sound disappeared and came back around ten seconds intervals. I solved the problem by changing USB cable on another port. 

• 2 weeks later...
newbravado

I actually switched over to another port and for whatever reason it worked thanks.

On another note probably not for this forum, but...

After installing Nvidia driver 466.63 I got a strange buzzing sound followed by WIndows stating I had a crash, it would take the info for the crash and re-start my system.

Looking into this on some forum (Reddit, Nvidia?) I see others are experiencing the same thing. So I reverted back to 466.47. Some are having issues with this version as well, but I haven't...yet.