Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey Guys, Just got a HP Reverb G2. It's a whole new world.

I feel like I'm playing IL2 for the first time (almost)

Here's some problems I am seeing and maybe you VR Gods know the answers. Help get me going faster.

First in the hanger, the selection screens are too close. I can't move in the hanger at all. Like not being able to view the aircraft 360 degrees. I'm stuck in one place.

Is this normal?

Second, In plane, I'm sitting near the dash, so I have to physically move my chair away from my desk to get the proper distance, but then I'm too far away from my keyboard and joystick.

Third, I'm sitting just a little too high, my head is at the top of the canopy. How do I adjust this?

 

 

 

Actually took a maiden flight, Wow what a rush! Crashed the landing, But that will take a little time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to bind re-center VR view to a button on your stick or throttle. Launch the game in VR, get yourself positions and hit that button.

It is in settings menu - either under camera or pilot head control. I think it says "Default VR View".

You can also bind some VR zoom levelsto buttons in there as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the default key is Num 5 (nuber pad 5) to recenter the view. Try it if you haven't already.

The hangar is the start menu, I don't think you can move around it to get a 360 view of the aircraft. If you can, it'd be new to me too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally home. 

Due to the amount of new cables I'm faced with, I'm slowly working out solutions.

Such as getting rid of the old surge protector with a 18 inch cord, and getting a new one with a 6 foot cord etc.

I'm sure you know that story.

Thanks for the replies, I'll give them a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, newbravado said:

First in the hanger, the selection screens are too close. I can't move in the hanger at all. Like not being able to view the aircraft 360 degrees. I'm stuck in one place.

Is this normal?

Second, In plane, I'm sitting near the dash, so I have to physically move my chair away from my desk to get the proper distance, but then I'm too far away from my keyboard and joystick.

As @dburne said map the VR recenter control.

However for adjusting cockpit position you'll need to use the "Save current corrections in head snap position" (default is F10 under Pilot Head Control as well, two lines under "Default VR view"). To adjust, physically move in to the position you find comfortable in the cockpit and press that binding (helps to temporarily assign it to a mouse click or something portable in case your keyboard is too far away) then return to your normal sitting position and press the "Default VR view" so it centers on the previously saved location. Hope that makes sense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help guys. 

It did the trick. You saved me hours of experimenting.

 

The VR experience is amazing.

I'm going to have to re-train myself on everything. 

I've already been changing hot keys. (I might lose my canopy mid-flight)

The toughest will be checking six.

 

I was thinking it would be nice to have an all VR multi-player server. Just an idea. That way we would all be on the same playing field.

 

Again, thanks for the assist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, newbravado said:

 

I've already been changing hot keys. (I might lose my canopy mid-flight)

The toughest will be checking six.

 

 

 

For checking your six - Really useful for putting your Chiropractor (or Physio) out of business.

Re canopy loss mid flight - Been there done that!, gets quite noisy!

 

Welcome to VR land!!

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to move in a circular motion around the aircraft in the hanger and admire the paint and weapons load out, you can do it in the Quick Mission second map screen, where it offers you a second chance at tuning your weapons.

 

Use your mouse to ring around the plane and VR zoom works to view closer.

Edited by [CPT]Crunch
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2021 at 8:52 PM, newbravado said:

Thanks for the help guys. 

It did the trick. You saved me hours of experimenting.

 

The VR experience is amazing.

I'm going to have to re-train myself on everything. 

I've already been changing hot keys. (I might lose my canopy mid-flight)

The toughest will be checking six.

 

I was thinking it would be nice to have an all VR multi-player server. Just an idea. That way we would all be on the same playing field.

 

Again, thanks for the assist.

VoiceAttack decreases button presses substantially. Button presses can still be used as a backup.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice my mouse wheel no longer zooms in and out while in flight.

 

I actually attacked a parked 109 yesterday cause I couldn't ID it properly. A quick zoom in would have solved that.

(I thought I was attacking an enemy airfield...don't ask.)

I hear about VR Zoom, just haven't found how to set it up. I checked in settings with no luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right control + number pad 1 = smallest zoom level

 

Right control + number pad 2 = next zoom level

 

Right control + number pad 3 = further zoom level

 

Right control + number pad 0 = greatest zoom level

 

You have to hold to zoom and release to return to normal view.

 

I have mapped these commands in VoiceAttack and call them zoom one, zoom two, zoom three and zoom four respectively.

Edited by Vortice
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mouse zoom only works with outside views, inside the pit with VR there are keyboard commands as posted above or you can bind any of those VR levels of zoom to a controller button on your stick or throttle in the controllers settings set up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My VR findings for what its worth.

I was rendering in VR at @24 fps. This was playable but I thought I could do better and started experimenting.

 

Turned off HDR, no effect. (made things look dull also)

Turned down draw distance from 150km to 70km. No effect.

changed clouds from ultra to high. No effect.

 

Changed MSAA to FXAA and got an immediate boost from @24 to @56 fps.

 

FXAA looked terrible on my flat monitor, but looks good on VR.

MSAA looks great on a monitor, and looks great in VR, but it will cost you in fps.

 

One thing I noticed about VR, on a monitor combat is 70% and flying is 30%.

Now flying is 80% and combat is 20%. My opinion.

Edited by newbravado
commentary
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, newbravado said:

Strange finding. I need glasses to read. But in VR I don't need glasses at all.

That's actually normal for vr.

If you only need glasses for reading then you won't need them for vr.  The headset lenses focus st infinity to relax the eyes and remove eye strain.

 

You can't focus that close for any length of time.

 

If you need glasses for distance vision you still need glasses in vr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

That's actually normal for vr.

If you only need glasses for reading then you won't need them for vr.  The headset lenses focus st infinity to relax the eyes and remove eye strain.

 

You can't focus that close for any length of time.

 

If you need glasses for distance vision you still need glasses in vr.

 

Same here, I have to have reading glasses to be able to read smaller print, not so much in VR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

It it's like that even when you recenter position then you can edit startup.cfg and change the variables named or_hud_size (controls the size of all menus, not just hud as the name implies) and or_hud_rad (controls the curvature of the menus - for example I prefer mine flat instead of curvy because the latter adds a bit of distortion I don't quite care for).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...