Developer Diary 279 - Discussion

Amazing work as always.  Love the new Spitfire.  I like the way the towns in the Normandy map blend more organically into the countryside with small houses lining the roads in and out of the city.  It would be great to add this to the towns in Bodenplatte at some point in the future.  Also thanks for enhancing the railyards they look fantastic!  Looking forward to the new ground textures as well.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Barnacles said:

so that's practically confirming the next installment will be a 1946 style "what if the war continued longer" scenario. 

You mean there's a Lerch in the works?  🤣

The V1..... could the Channel and the Battle of Britain be in the planning for the next module..... 

Also having seen the amazing weather system brought into DCS, I wonder if devs have plans to revamp there system in the coming couple of years?

• Like 1

Lots of great stuff in the update, many things to get excited about!!

To me, the most exciting part is how much attention to detail I see in the BON map.

Those towns look much more organic with winding streets and a clear difference between taller buildings at the core of the town and lower structures as you get to the periphery.

One ambitious ask from me would be to have some smaller hamlets spread around the map between larger cities, AND/OR if possible some farmsteads with some dedicated  textures for the crops. I know it's a big ask for a small team that needs to cover a huge area, so I'm keeping my expectations low regarding this particular wish.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Great update and am very looking forward to getting in on these new targets and aircraft however I must highlight the error in one of the posters lest it translate into the sim! 

The Spitfire Mk. IXe Poster has an error with the Aussies schemes. The text underneath them identifies them as RAF (Royal Air Force). This is incorrect and it should read RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force). For us Aussies it is a kick in the teeth. I am sure all Aussies would want our force correctly named.

edit: I just checked - it is RAF in game. Please oh please correct this to RAAF in the next update, an easy text fix!

PlsCorrectToRAAF.png

Edited by Mauler
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great news update :good:

I've said this before but I'll say it again, IL2 BOX is streets ahead of lots of other game software in the way they don't just add new content, but retro-fit and upgrade existing content to meet the new standards. Which is a mammoth task (tusk) and one that get bigger and bigger.

The example in this update that really appeals to me is this:

We also have added more railyards to BOBP cities and here is the current list that has increased to a total of 19.

Great job, great work and much respect.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

"DVD definitely adds another interesting layer to our damage modeling"

-> Well, definitely ok for the first look, but when I take a closer look well it can be certainly done much better.

Best example to see when you look at the AP/HE round hits and their direction doesn't match when two tanks shoot each other. Next the hole from AP/He round hits are halved or doesn't match correct how in real-life................

DVD_05.jpg.30d24bc2f75c6cf36b29cceeb588b4e4.thumb.jpg.4a9fb13f91befd8dfee55ebb002a5fe5.jpgDVD_01.jpg.757ba13d3827d75545332a62a32ce971.thumb.jpg.1ca74263319bcce5df897c307ea77ed3.jpg

• Haha 7
  • Confused 2
1 hour ago, Mysticpuma said:

Le V1 ..... la Manche et la bataille d'Angleterre pourraient-elles être dans la planification du prochain module ..... 

Ayant également vu l'incroyable système météorologique introduit dans DCS, je me demande si les développeurs ont l'intention de réorganiser leur système dans les prochaines années.

1 hour ago, Livai said:

-> Well, definitely ok for the first look, but when I take a closer look well it can be certainly done much better.

Best example to see when you look at the AP/HE round hits and their direction doesn't match when two tanks shoot each other. Next the hole from AP/He round hits are halved or doesn't match correct how in real-life................

DVD_05.jpg.30d24bc2f75c6cf36b29cceeb588b4e4.thumb.jpg.4a9fb13f91befd8dfee55ebb002a5fe5.jpgDVD_01.jpg.757ba13d3827d75545332a62a32ce971.thumb.jpg.1ca74263319bcce5df897c307ea77ed3.jpg

I think it looks great, not perfect but really good.

and Im really glad that we have something like this.

To have marks for penetration at angle its probably impossible or it will requiere too much work.

also look at the Cologne Sherman photo (with the dead driver) how strange sometimes round that penetrated (or partialy) can looks like.

3 hours ago, Beebop said:

You mean there's a Lerch in the works?  🤣

Well... the plausible thing would be a 'Operation Unthinkable' scenario set around ~1950... re-using late war Soviet aircraft and early NATO jets... and acting as a prelude to the 1950-1955 Korean War era.

However, I think we can safely say... that the 1948 skin is there just because it is an interesting skin... (the same way we have prototype skins that never saw operational combat service)!

Anyway - this will be a very exciting patch.

Great stuff all about. But it will be emotional shooting down a V1 for the first time since Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. 😢 (now getting the V2 proved a bit harder, even if using the Komet to chase it on take off 🤣 )

Edited by J2_Bidu
15 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Pleasantly surprised to see VOS-7, too. If recon-style gameplay was properly implemented they'd make a very unique career mode

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that also as I suspect that might also be an Fleet Air Arm machine? As the aircraft were apparently pooled together for the operation and VCS-7 was using British machines. And also The Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm gives the squadron code for 897 Squadron as being 4A+ in June 1944. The book states that the squadron was equipped with Spitfire L.Vb and was under 3rd Naval Fighter Wing (attached as the Air Spotting Pool of 34 Reconnaissance Wing) based at Lee On Solent, so alongside VCS-7.

Oh that aircraft being painted gives me good hope that Lee On Solent is going to be included as an airfield on the Normandy map also!

Edited by Oliver88

DD Looking good as all ways. The DVD really looks impressive, WoW, as do the maps, models and posters of the Spit's.

Thank you Jason and Team A++, you are all awesome!

:salute:

9 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

The terrain textures are not final and borrowed from the Rhineland map at the moment.

Normandy_Towns_05.jpg

Is that why there are so many trees around the buildings in this town?

A fellow with a chainsaw would never be out of work here.

BWaaaaaaaaaaaa, put put put put put put! Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, put  put put put put! BWaaaaaaaa..............

The sound of me bumping the blip switch in my brand new Neup 28 when coming in to pancake! Can't wait!:pilot:

Hope that Team member makes it through Covid alright. Blessings of a swift recovery on him or her. Keep up the good work. The GAZ-MM is looking good as well as the DVD and Tactical Codes feature.

That Nieuport 28.C1 though is what I am looking forward to the most with the Spitty playing a close second chair violin.:popcorm:

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, J2_Bidu said:

Great stuff all about. But it will be emotional shooting down a V1 for the first time since Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. 😢 (now getting the V2 proved a bit harder, even if using the Komet to chase it on take off 🤣 )

Yeah... I know... I was flying with a Ju-87 in desert on a winter map... and I had a flashback to the Ju-87 graphics from TFH ported by modders to the Russian Front SWOTL mod... and having the incorrect colours... if it suddenly appeared to fly sideways for no reason I'd have gotten really emotional!

• Haha 1

Not to be that ungrateful guy, but...

Knowing we will be using the Rhineland map with the Spit XIV, why wouldn't most of the stock skins be representative of the 2nd TAF. Units that were actually based on the map we have would have been nice? Plenty of skinners here that know the material and the research required to at least get the markings right.

That said, thanks for the hard work team!  It's all about shots on goal and you guys keep doing that! :new_russian: ;)

43 minutes ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Not to be that ungrateful guy, but...

Knowing we will be using the Rhineland map with the Spit XIV, why wouldn't most of the stock skins be representative of the 2nd TAF. Units that were actually based on the map we have would have been nice? Plenty of skinners here that know the material and the research required to at least get the markings right.

That said, thanks for the hard work team!  It's all about shots on goal and you guys keep doing that! :new_russian: ;)

It's not just a plane for Bodenplatte. 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

It's not just a plane for Bodenplatte. 

True statement. However, there isn't any other map we have/will have this year that the Spit XIV saw a majority of manned aircraft vs manned aircraft combat on.

• 1CGS
11 hours ago, Mauler said:

Great update and am very looking forward to getting in on these new targets and aircraft however I must highlight the error in one of the posters lest it translate into the sim! 

The Spitfire Mk. IXe Poster has an error with the Aussies schemes. The text underneath them identifies them as RAF (Royal Air Force). This is incorrect and it should read RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force). For us Aussies it is a kick in the teeth. I am sure all Aussies would want our force correctly named.

edit: I just checked - it is RAF in game. Please oh please correct this to RAAF in the next update, an easy text fix!

PlsCorrectToRAAF.png

I fixed the posters.

Jason

• Thanks 7
10 hours ago, Livai said:

DVD is a huge step up from what we have and I think it is excellent so far. There may be small errors/bugs but imo overall it looks great. Good news is it can always be improved upon if need be.

I can't wait to see it on the aircraft. There is a lot of potential for the DVD system imo.

DD news looks great and the improvements to the BOBP map are very welcome. I can't wait to see what we are going to get with the Normandy map, so far it looks great. I hope Normandy will have more small towns/villages though (maybe even some country farms) and not just focus on the cities.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

DD news looks great and the improvements to the BOBP map are very welcome. I can't wait to see what we are going to get with the Normandy map, so far it looks great. I hope Normandy will have more small towns/villages though (maybe even some country farms) and not just focus on the cities.

The Dover series uses generic textures and matching small houses to represent the farmhouses scattered around.
I believe that Normandy and Rhienland map will eventually be able to do a good job in this part.

11 minutes ago, 1/SG2_Faint said:

Ingame radio ? Naaa... New planes (not a ctrl+c ctrl+v) ? naaa. New content ? Na ! Off servers ? Nööww. Netcode ? Noo. Other problems ? Nooo. Tons of users-requests ? NOOOOO!!!!

Some patience might help.

Mosquito, ME410, razorback P47 and P51, look like complete new planes to me.

Don't forget that in real life too, many of the planes were just variations of one another.

Is it the devs fault that the Germans only had 2 main fighter planes?

11 minutes ago, 1/SG2_Faint said:

Scratches on tanks ? Yes ! We need it !

They're actually cool and it's coming for the planes too.

Have a nice day.

• Upvote 2

Bravo for this modeling work, both for the DVD and for the cities ... living in Rouen, I can tell you that we recognize the city and the topography of the places at first glance (even if for the city at 100 bell towers, a few churches are missing ... just kidding) ...

with this update, are we going to fix some bug for tank crew, like the cannon that moves when we switch from some position (driver, chef...) to shooter position? will the order system be modified / simplified, with the possibility of making certain keyboard shortcuts?

Edited by moustache
17 minutes ago, ST_Catchov said:

Any idea when the Nieuport 28 will be completed? She's gorgeous and I'm looking forward to getting my dirty mitts on her very much!

If I'm not mistaken, it's gonna be in the next update.

Have a nice day.

37 minutes ago, 1/SG2_Faint said:

Ingame radio ? Naaa... New planes (not a ctrl+c ctrl+v) ? naaa. New content ? Na ! Off servers ? Nööww. Netcode ? Noo. Other problems ? Nooo. Tons of users-requests ? NOOOOO!!!!

Scratches on tanks ? Yes ! We need it !

I think this is some pretty good update. If you disagree, I'm fine with that. But man, don't be an ungrateful, bratty a**.

In case if you don't want to be looked upon as one, that is.

• Upvote 5
38 минут назад, FlyingShark сказал:

They're actually cool and it's coming for the planes too.

Is this really important ? will it bring new players ? Will it give me a motivation to doubleclick on il2.exe ? I dont think so... 

• Confused 1

the level of details of the terrain looks really nice, I am sure it will provide some interesting gameplay  in tanks as well, hopefully with less "invisible trees" than the other maps :). DVD lookd great and Tactical code will be a huge improvement for tank MP gameplay (it's even more needed than for planes I think)

Edited by super-truite
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, FlyingShark said:

If I'm not mistaken, it's gonna be in the next update.

Have a nice day.

Hope you're right Shark. But the statement below is a little vague regarding timing ... if it is indeed referring to the Nieuport? Hopefully Jason clocks in ....

And absolutely no mention of the Hanriot! :biggrin:

Jason said "We also continue to make new airplanes and other models that will be incorporated into the sim this year and beyond"

36 minutes ago, ST_Catchov said:

you're right

It's been explicitly stated that the Nieuport will be in the next update.