Hey All, I’m hoping to run Il2 in VR. I currently have an oculus quest 2 but i may be willing to upgrade to a Reverb G2 if necessary. My main question is can my system handle VR? How well? And importantly what about my system needs to be upgraded and to what??  I’m not great With technology (need some coaching or someone to explain it and lay it out for me).

I’d like the end result for my experience to be able to be feel as realistic as possible. I don’t have an unlimited budget (can’t spent $3,000 on a 3090). I play single player but mainly fly with a virtual squadron. 
   Any help is truly appreciated!

my system specs:

- mobo asrock b365m IB-R

- i7 9700F CPU @ 3.0ghz 3000mhz 8cores

- 32gb RAM 

- 500gb SSD

- 1Tb HDD

- Nvidia GeForce Rtx 2060super

• Like 1

you CPU is the F model and have no K.

The F means that the CPU has not integrated GPU, but it doesn´t matter since you have a dedicated GPU (your 2060S).

The missing K means that your CPU can not be overcloked beyond the basic Turbo. But the Turbo can reach 4.7 GHz, which is quite good freq.

IL-2 in VR is very dependent on the CPU. But, with the adecuated setting your CPU is valid.

On the GPU side, you are a bit weak, but it is also adjustable. If you use medium clouds (or less) and medium shadows and no mirrors and no MSAAA, then I think it cold be OK.

Also, the 72Hz mode of the Quest2 is no much demanding, so I think you should be OK.

For the G2 you clearly will need a better GPU.

Posted (edited)

If i was to get a better Gpu... what should i look at (that is not outrageously expensive -can’t afford $3000 for the 3090) and what GPU will play well with my system? (Mobo etc?)

Edited by 352ndMagicMerlin

Before going to the G2 or getting a new GPU I would try first the Quest2 with your current GPU and will use a very low GPU load settings (ie: no clouds, no MSAA, low VR SuperSampling).

For the low SS I believe you should use OpenComposite and set a SS (or Pixel Density).

You can run the SYN_VAnder test (in hardware section) and compare your performance with another test of the Quest2.

So, from there we could think about the GPU. There are not too many options (2080Ti, or 3070 or 3080).

9 hours ago, 352ndMagicMerlin said:

If i was to get a better Gpu... what should i look at (that is not outrageously expensive -can’t afford $3000 for the 3090) and what GPU will play well with my system? (Mobo etc?)

I feel your pain as I’m in the same boat, I can only say wait for normal prices, that all you can do right now. 

BTW, What is the brand of the 2060s? 

I had a similar setup before with a GTX 1080 which should be almost equal to your 2060S. I recommend you buying an old RIft S instead. FPS are more important than pixel density for immersion. I have a Quest 2 and a Rift S and still prefer to play with the Rift S allthough I have now a beast of a PC. The image quality just is better despite the lower resolution. Even in quality mode of link.

Edited by MontanaZH
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, MontanaZH said:

I had a similar setup before with a GTX 1080 which should be almost equal to your 2060S. I recommend you buying an old RIft S instead. FPS are more important than pixel density for immersion. I have a Quest 2 and a Rift S and still prefer to play with the Rift S allthough I have now a beast of a PC. The image quality just is better despite the lower resolution. Even in quality mode of link.

I disagree with this. It's better to turn settings down and stick with a higher resolution VR headset. A Quest 2 supports up to 120fps now. It's also cheaper than a Rift S and can play wirelessly. 

Edited by Spasticus

Have both G1 and G2, face gasket mode is a must with the later.

Ryzen007 3800X, 32GB ram with rtx2070S is more than enough to run IL-2 on extreme settings, maybe with medium clouds and high shadows.

Also I would add, G1 with valid warranty and spare cables is still good option.

DCS however would not work with my current setup.