Hi there,

I have a question 

Pe-2 ver 87 with armament 10xRockets 

First 6 is shooted by single, as I need.

But when remains last 4 (2 and 2 on each wing most far from center) They are shooted always together. So One push the trigger means 2 rockets are launched together from one wing and then from the second.

Is this OK? As it should behave with historical precision?

Just wanted to ask.

Thanks

Yes, it is a lovely thing about this sim - it is so accurate it models the bugs, bodges and cludges in the original aircraft (Heck, on the Yak-7 sometimes the cockpit canopy doesn't reliably latch open properly and slides forward again... because the real one was like that apparently).

Honestly, given this level of detail - I don't know why people seem to hesitate so much about giving a jam chance to some of the cannons! Yes, it is hard to know for sure how often they jammed in the field - but we know that it was often enough to change how pilots used the Mk-108, MG/FF, even the Hispano...

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Yes, it is a lovely thing about this sim - it is so accurate it models the bugs, bodges and cludges in the original aircraft (Heck, on the Yak-7 sometimes the cockpit canopy doesn't reliably latch open properly and slides forward again... because the real one was like that apparently).

Honestly, given this level of detail - I don't know why people seem to hesitate so much about giving a jam chance to some of the cannons! Yes, it is hard to know for sure how often they jammed in the field - but we know that it was often enough to change how pilots used the Mk-108, MG/FF, even the Hispano...

you're forgetting the .50 cal. which according to some P-51 pilots "jam if you squeeze the trimmer for more than 3 seconds at a time"

1 hour ago, Asgar said:

you're forgetting the .50 cal. which according to some P-51 pilots "jam if you squeeze the trimmer for more than 3 seconds at a time"

Not to mention the ShKAS... one of the downsides of its exceptional performance was somewhat less reliability (although pretty good compared to the Ultra-ShKAS). Although this might've been largely cleared up by the time period in question?

Edited by Avimimus

I dont think weapon malfunctions would be good to have in mp. 

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

often enough to change how pilots used the Mk-108, MG/FF, even the Hispano...

Idk about the mg/ff (not in game) but the mg/ffm tested on dornier 217 had an absurd round count before malfunction 

Just now, Hajo_Garlic said:

I dont think weapon malfunctions would be good to have in mp. 

Idk about the mg/ff (not in game) but the mg/ffm tested on dornier 217 had an absurd round count before malfunction 

I'm sure it could be made an option. I'd certainly want it myself, but there is a reason why we have difficulty options!

Hm... Yes, I think the Mg-FF/M was much more reliable and had most of the jamming issues resolved. However, Fw-190 pilots actually had the practice of expending a few rounds from the outer wing guns during a turn to try to reduce jams. Obviously, there are several type of gun jams, and the Do-217 wouldn't be in the same situation.

I'd honestly like a small base chance of jamming for some guns (something that would only happen once every dozen or so flights) and an additional chance of jamming if excessively long bursts are fired. It'd give a reason to sometimes pick the Mg-151/20 over the Mk-108 :) It'd be a great difficulty option to have...

11 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Not to mention the ShKAS... one of the downsides of its exceptional performance was somewhat less reliability (although pretty good compared to the Ultra-ShKAS). Although this might've been largely cleared up by the time period in question?

As far as I've read, neither the ShKAS nor the ShVAK were particularly prone to jamming. The rotating "bird cage" ensured an extremely smooth cycling necesary for very high RoF, and the relatively soft steel and loose tolerances used in manufacturing also helped (but severely reduced service life, though not as badly as the UB) However, apparently, when a ShKAS/ShVAK did jam, it jammed HARD. 

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

I'm sure it could be made an option. I'd certainly want it myself, but there is a reason why we have difficulty options!

Hm... Yes, I think the Mg-FF/M was much more reliable and had most of the jamming issues resolved. However, Fw-190 pilots actually had the practice of expending a few rounds from the outer wing guns during a turn to try to reduce jams. Obviously, there are several type of gun jams, and the Do-217 wouldn't be in the same situation.

I'd honestly like a small base chance of jamming for some guns (something that would only happen once every dozen or so flights) and an additional chance of jamming if excessively long bursts are fired. It'd give a reason to sometimes pick the Mg-151/20 over the Mk-108 :) It'd be a great difficulty option to have...

I never heard that about the ffms in the 190, interesting. I thought the mk108 only had issues while firing under g loads of ~3.5 iirc too but I guess the option wouldn’t hurt. It just seems a little like a dice roll I guess and considering we have factory fresh aircraft which I think would include the weapons I dont think weapon malfunctions would be common enough to bother with modeling, but that’s just my opinion. 

34 minutes ago, Hajo_Garlic said:

It just seems a little like a dice roll I guess and considering we have factory fresh aircraft which I think would include the weapons I dont think weapon malfunctions would be common enough to bother with modeling, but that’s just my opinion. 

I think reading after-action reports where jams happened makes me want to ahve the option of the experience. :) For instance, I think it was in "Black Crosses off my wingtips" where the author was creeping up on a flight of 109's and had one of his Spit's Hispanos jam. So he had to aim to one side of the Bf-109 so that the recoil would drag his line-of-fire across the target. He ended up getting the Bf-109 but the lack of symmetrical recoil obviously made the marksmanship quite a bit 'more interesting'. Reading accounts like that makes me want to experience this sometimes - even if only very rarely.

Also, especially in a SP campaign, it'd be nice if not all aircraft were factory fresh (e.g. some AI aircraft should have reduced performance due to wear etc.) Multiplayer may be different.

Edited by Avimimus