https://uploadvr.com/rift-s-dead

We all pretty much saw this coming. 

Obviously Oculus is doing quite well with their Quest 2 offering.

Hopefully others will continue to develop more for the higher end PC-VR enthusiast.

I imagine ole Zuck is pleased to mothball the "Rift" name, as that was tied to Palmer Lucky. 

Edited by dburne
Posted (edited)

https://uploadvr.com/quest-2-outsells-oculus-headsets-combined/

Interesting statistic:

"Facebook’s executives believe Quest 2 is on course to become the first “mainstream” VR headset and the company continues to hire at an extraordinary rate. Nearly 20% of Facebook’s employees work on areas related to VR and AR technology, and future Quest headsets are likely to include face tracking technology."

Love them or hate them, Facebook continues to drive VR forward more than anyone.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

I just returned my Rift S as the Oculus support team was unable to find a fix for the 'USB Disconnected' error after every reboot. Looking at the forums, I wasn't alone. I am looking at a Reverb G2 instead.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:47 PM, dburne said:

I imagine ole Zuck is pleased to mothball the "Rift" name, as that was tied to Palmer Lucky.

Regarding Palmer, this is what he said about it:

Untitled.png.a129cd523f30ce7bead6dfb9d0ee3ac5.png

Facebook has "perverted" the original vision of the Oculus of Palmer, where he was behind a high-end headset and putting the PC at the center.

The current Facebook account requirement is a non-sense. And risky as it has been demostrated with the continuous leaks of data (533 million accounts leak).

Imaging that you have to compulsory open an account when you buy an HP laptop, or an EPSON printer, or an LG TV, or an BOSCH fridge, or a DENON Hi-Fi, or a Ford car, etc.

I could understand an Oculus account as before (for acquiring game and apps, etc) but not to tie that with Facebook which is a social stuff. Or at least to give the option for fuse or not the account. But no, they (He, the Evil) decided to force you.

Well, he could have. I don’t claim to know the part he played in it, but as the owner and founder of the company I believe he would have had a say in the sale/acquisition of the company. 

5 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

Well, he could have. I don’t claim to know the part he played in it, but as the owner and founder of the company I believe he would have had a say in the sale/acquisition of the company. 

Oh yeah he was all about the green baby.

Not sure how anyone could be surprised that a company owned by Facebook, might require a Facebook account to tie in to the device.

Granted I left Oculus after this for the HP Reverb G2 and am quite pleased with my headset. I was certainly no fan of this requirement.

Obviously though Oculus is doing quite well with their Quest 2 device - Facebook account required. It has already outsold all other PC-VR headsets combined.

Very good for the growth of VR overall.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, GOA_Wehraboo*VR* said:

Well, at last i get my Rift S on the last christmas.. Now what matters is take care of it, and hope that works many many years.

S.

Yeah I am still holding on to mine to have as a backup for if anything should happen with my Reverb G2 which is always possible it seems. Luckily I have been fortunate so far as mine has been glitch free from the start.

• Like 1

So is the g2 what everyone is going to? Honestly I guess I just keep buying this sim to support Jason. I never actually play it. 10 hours tops total time i bet.

(As apposed to the thousands of hours in IL2, IL2 FB, and 1946)

The only thing that's really keeping me from coming back to the sim is flight controls. Al my stuff is a decade old. I bought second hand peddles 12 years ago...used em for about 4 hours. They are still under my desk. I don't even know what ppl are using anymore. And I'm not even sure if my system can handle vr. It's getting 16g more ram next week and a new 2tb ssd hd. That should help but I'm not sure if my 4 year old GPU is up to it. look at my specs can i even run a vr headset?

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
             System Model: G752VL
                     BIOS: G752VL.304 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
                   Memory: 12288MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 12226MB RAM
                Page File: 7991MB used, 7200MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: GeForce GTX 965M
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1619&SUBSYS_1CED1043&REV_A1
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 8120 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2007 MB
       Shared Memory: 6113 MB
        Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

@[310th]310thCopperhead,

I think it would be a very frustrating experience to have VR running on your system. If I remember correctly, your graphics card might be the absolute minimum required card for VR. 

like you, I had bought this reincarnation of the game quite some time ago, but never ran it as my circa 2014 CAD laptop (what Dell calls a “mobile workstation”) was not running it. I’ve run 1946 on that laptop with 10 year old x45 and ch pro rudder pedals.

I bought a desktop (10th gen intel i7, Rtx 2080 GPU) specifically for VR and G2 is my first (and only) HMD, so can’t comment on other HMDs, but my desktop can drive G2 fairly well with balanced settings, to put it in perspective to what you have. 

Let us not bend reality with politeness, this old PC can't run IL-2 VR. There is a line you have to draw somewhere, and unfortunately it is way past that.

Running something at 30fps is technically still running. But so is a horse on the Autobahn. It also does not reach minimum speed required.

So, @[310th]310thCopperhead, before you put money into a VR headset and then cannot run it - the answer is unfortunately a no. Sorry mate.

P.S. You'd need a new System. There's no upgrade-path here either, you'd have replace CPU, MB, RAM, GPU, HDDs, and probably even the case (for adequate airflow).

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Let us also not confuse bluntness with honesty either. GTX960 is the absolute minimum required for rift. And there are forum members still run VR with their 6th generation i7 judging by their signatures.

I gave my opinion and my experience with G2, there was no bending of reality involved.

The big problem is the graphics card availability at the moment. It might not be too bad if you buy a prebuilt one though. I think that most companies do hold back cards for their own builds.

1 hour ago, DD_Crash said:

The big problem is the graphics card availability at the moment. It might not be too bad if you buy a prebuilt one though. I think that most companies do hold back cards for their own builds.

It used to be that (a mere 1.5-2 months ago) you’d pay only $400 premium for a prebuilt with i9 10900k, evga FTW3 3080. Unfortunately now, not only do you pay a much much higher premium, but also expect to wait until at least till mid summer to get it (brand/model also not guaranteed)...

Buying new PC/components is a very unfortunate situation to be in right now, and even worse, will be the situation for the foreseeable future. 

On 4/10/2021 at 4:26 AM, [310th]Copperhead said:

So is the g2 what everyone is going to? Honestly I guess I just keep buying this sim to support Jason. I never actually play it. 10 hours tops total time i bet.

(As apposed to the thousands of hours in IL2, IL2 FB, and 1946)

The only thing that's really keeping me from coming back to the sim is flight controls. Al my stuff is a decade old. I bought second hand peddles 12 years ago...used em for about 4 hours. They are still under my desk. I don't even know what ppl are using anymore. And I'm not even sure if my system can handle vr. It's getting 16g more ram next week and a new 2tb ssd hd. That should help but I'm not sure if my 4 year old GPU is up to it. look at my specs can i even run a vr headset?

Sounds you mainly got a case of "real life getting in the way of simming". Happens to most of us, eventually... (For me ten years ago...)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Freycinet said:

Sounds you mainly got a case of "real life getting in the way of simming". Happens to most of us, eventually... (For me ten years ago...)

Yeah I spent many years traveling every week for work and living out of hotels.

After I retired almost 5 years ago my simming got kicked into high gear, and has no signs of stopping.

Just in time for VR which was awesome.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1