Command "cover me" always fires green flare ?

In single person missions - the Command as flight leader to "cover me" always fires green flare ? and "return to base" fires white flare 

I've changed the key commands, blocked out the "fire flare" commands....  doesn't matter which aircraft I fly 

Any ideas?

Yeah it's linked to the command itself, so no way to disable it.

I think this is to make the system "work" with early planes without radio; e.g. in the BOM time frame, not all Soviet planes had radios. (In-game radio commands seem to work even with non-radio equipped planes though; for instance in WW1 planes you can still issue formation commands.)

If I'm not mistaken, flares were also used in real life for such purposes, and as such you'll find many planes equipped with special flare gun holes in the canopy.

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed
4 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

If I'm not mistaken, flares were also used in real life for such purposes, and as such you'll find many planes equipped with special flare gun holes in the canopy.

This was at least in the Lw propably thought of as „in case of emergency“ and I never read of flares being actually used in flight by Germans. Doesn’t mean it never was - I just think it wasn’t common practice. 

6 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

This was at least in the Lw propably thought of as „in case of emergency“ and I never read of flares being actually used in flight by Germans. Doesn’t mean it never was - I just think it wasn’t common practice. 

They frequently carried flares somewhere on their flight gear. I have noticed that it usually seems to be combined with a life vest so they are probably more for rescue than signaling in the air. I have read more examples of using hand signals and radio calls from Luftwaffe but can't recall firing flares in the air to signal an attack. Seems like there might be more important things to do at that moment.

pilot.jpg.279b942379a74c26f08a338324b65924.jpg

188866567_pilot2.thumb.png.ddc18caf25d1014aafe14a722330ade2.png

I have read of specific incidents of pilots firing a flare into the cockpit after crash landing behind enemy lines to destroy their aircraft.

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

The Me 262 had a remote flare launcher that was commonly used to signal to ground personnel when there were enemy aircraft in the vicinity of the airfield.

15 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

If radios were available and functional, then yes, they'd use those unless in very specific circumstances such as LukeFF already mentioned. But radios were not always available for all aircraft and nations in all time periods. Especially now with FC.

I recently read a passage (can't remember where) about the Luftstreitkräfte in summer 1918, where pilots were explicitly forbidden from engaging aircraft until the flight leader fired a red flare.

3 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

I recently read a passage (can't remember where) about the Luftstreitkräfte in summer 1918, where pilots were explicitly forbidden from engaging aircraft until the flight leader fired a red flare.

I bet it wasn't a history of Jasta 11... MvR got pissed if his fledglings didn't go after the enemy and transferred them out.

The British certainly fired them to signal an aerial attack, no reason the Germans weren't doing the same. It's hard to find first hand German accounts though. :(

14 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

I bet it wasn't a history of Jasta 11... MvR got pissed if his fledglings didn't go after the enemy and transferred them out.

The British certainly fired them to signal an aerial attack, no reason the Germans weren't doing the same. It's hard to find first hand German accounts though. :(

I found the passage, and you owe me mate ;) What did you bet for again?

From Richthofen's Circus - Jagdgeschwader Nr I by Greg VanWyngarden, page 98:

"[JG 1 commander Hermann Göring] ordered that general flying discipline would be increased, and that attacks would be ordered by the patrol leader with a signal flare."

(MvR was already dead at that point, and although technically it's a history of JG 1, Jasta 11 was part of JG 1 so it applies to Jasta 11 as well).

Overall, and for all his obvious defects later in history, I get the impression that Göring wasn't a bad commander and was someone who wasn't afraid to take some unpopular decisions if the situation demanded it. Which was certainly the case here, as later on in the book there are at least two instances where people died because some rookie pilot decided to engage an enemy when he shouldn't. As was the case for the Luftwaffe in the equivalent stage of the other World War, the Luftstreitkräfte apparently weren't able to provide pilots with adequate training anymore before they sent them to the front...

6 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

I found the passage, and you owe me mate ;) What did you bet for again?

From Richthofen's Circus - Jagdgeschwader Nr I by Greg VanWyngarden, page 98:

"[JG 1 commander Hermann Göring] ordered that general flying discipline would be increased, and that attacks would be ordered by the patrol leader with a signal flare."

(MvR was already dead at that point, and although technically it's a history of JG 1, Jasta 11 was part of JG 1 so it applies to Jasta 11 as well).

Overall, and for all his obvious defects later in history, I get the impression that Göring wasn't a bad commander and was someone who wasn't afraid to take some unpopular decisions if the situation demanded it. Which was certainly the case here, as later on in the book there are at least two instances where people died because some rookie pilot decided to engage an enemy when he shouldn't. As was the case for the Luftwaffe in the equivalent stage of the other World War, the Luftstreitkräfte apparently weren't able to provide pilots with adequate training anymore before they sent them to the front...

Nope... That makes me right and wrong, haha. I figured it might be Goring. No one liked him even though he was a good pilot. Too bossy. That would have been after they were flying Fokker DVIIs in larger groups. 

You did find it though so I guess I owe you a beer! :drinks:

Edited by Jaegermeister
1 hour ago, Jaegermeister said:

Nope... That makes me right and wrong, haha. I figured it might be Goring. No one liked him even though he was a good pilot. Too bossy. That would have been after they were flying Fokker DVIIs in larger groups. 

From what I read, there are basically two points of view. The older pilots tended to dislike him because he was bossy, as you say, and didn't allow them to play the hero by going on crazy missions like lone hunts. The younger ones generally seemed to like him because most of his rules were pretty sensible and increased their chances of survival.

Interestingly, and to somewhat return to topic, when searching for this quote I came across a couple where it were the Brits firing flares to either signal attack or call for help. So at least for the British it seems to have been a reasonably well established practice. 

1 hour ago, Jaegermeister said:

You did find it though so I guess I owe you a beer! :drinks:

I'll have a Van Moll Juice Rocket NZH-107 then 🍻
Simply because it's the only somewhat decent beer I've got in my fridge right now. Only cheap Bavaria lager besides that. Still beats the worst crap like Heineken or - *gulp* - Bud. Still somewhat ashamed though that I haven't got anything better...

2 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

From what I read, there are basically two points of view. The older pilots tended to dislike him because he was bossy, as you say, and didn't allow them to play the hero by going on crazy missions like lone hunts. The younger ones generally seemed to like him because most of his rules were pretty sensible and increased their chances of survival.

Interestingly, and to somewhat return to topic, when searching for this quote I came across a couple where it were the Brits firing flares to either signal attack or call for help. So at least for the British it seems to have been a reasonably well established practice. 

I'll have a Van Moll Juice Rocket NZH-107 then 🍻
Simply because it's the only somewhat decent beer I've got in my fridge right now. Only cheap Bavaria lager besides that. Still beats the worst crap like Heineken or - *gulp* - Bud. Still somewhat ashamed though that I haven't got anything better...

Yes, the British seemed quite fond of signaling the charge with a flare over the side. 

I've only made it about half way through that particular book. I'll have to pick it back up soon as I have some time and a cup of coffee. In the meantime, I'll settle for a cold Dos Equis Mexican Lager. It's a little on the light side for a German style Lager, but way better than the domestic stuff around here that you alluded to.

Cheers! :drinks: