Developer Diary 278 - Discussion

18 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

expand and reorganise the team.

Said it before, this whole shebang is gearing up to turn into one big FPS game with a flight sim thrown in.

Look at the level of detail on that paratrooper, look at the level of detail on the tanks and now the upcoming vehicles getting released.

Do you really need that detail when you are screaming by at 300mph?

It's in the wind troops, start counting down.

46 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Said it before, this whole shebang is gearing up to turn into one big FPS game with a flight sim thrown in.

Look at the level of detail on that paratrooper, look at the level of detail on the tanks and now the upcoming vehicles getting released.

Hmm....all the human models are super detailed, the tanks are super detailed - it’s a branch of GBS after all - but I’d like to imagine they’re gearing up for carrier warfare.

The Med, the Pacific or Korea.

Any and all are good for me😃.

• 1CGS
2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

No. Total nonsense. We will always be a vehicle simulator, primarily aircraft. 

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 8
2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I like the detail, it's nice to look back at the troopers predrop while invading Normandy in the C47 😉

• Upvote 2

Nice,

Just one question....

Will the devs be re-releasing all the 4k skins we have in game without the tactical markings so we can add our own,

or will the markings be just for the default skins?

And will this include the correct Staffel, Gruppe, Geschwader markings/colours..

or just letters and numerals?

41 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

How will you look back at the paratroops when the C-47 is not flyable mate?

Because it will be one day 

☺️

Wow, the paratrooper model looks insanely good.

I happily bought Kuban at full price recently, and after i finish the Sea Dragon campaign i will definately buy Moscow, which is still missing. In case it hits sale before i think i won't even wait that long, lol 😄 Tank Crew is on my list too, but tbh i will not be grabbing it at full price, which is mainly because of the lack of infantry.

Anyhow, there is so much support and love put into this sim that i hope we will see great content like this in the future and i will invest in it where i can.

sure I will support and sure by purchasing directly through your website as it's properly connected to the Steam BoS that I bought in 2014. But will wait for some discount. I understand the work behind all this, but 80 usd for each campaign is a bit too much, 20 usd for planes too. In any case good work. go on like this and by improving what you already published and I will support you forever. I appreciate you. happy Easter! 

• Confused 1

Looks awesome! It's great to see some new WWi material coming out and I am really looking forward to the paratroopers jumping out of the C-47s so we can get some Operation Varsity action going!   

Varsity.jpg.680eaf322fe6a0a0fb27efbfa1aaea32.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

How will you look back at the paratroops when the C-47 is not flyable mate?

It will be, don't worry. 

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro
16 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

This is satire making fun of people who actually think that, right?

Thank you very much for the update, really appreciated.;)

The paratrooper is a lovely model but wasted unless they are able to do something other than drop from the aircraft, we will see very little of them really unless as a cinematic up close, what is needed to fully appreciate that artistry is that they interact with the environment in other ways than just falling to earth and not just be a stationary figure once on the ground.   Is this the start to adding some kind of moving armed soldier to the sim to enhance the T.C. experience?

Are we getting a British paratrooper as well bye the way, would be nice.:cool:

I know some are berating the attention paid to ground forces but as someone who has been with IL-2 since the start I have lost track of how many times these features were requested by players and mission builders to add a little life reality to their scenes, I for one would love to see the utility vehicles such as the Jeep player usable so campaigns can begin where the pilots are billeted, many times this was outside the base,  actually getting to the aircraft from there could be the first mission and give the pilot the chance to see the environment up close on the way to his/her aircraft, it does not need to be any more than that, just drive there.:drinks:

Not a N-28 fan but the update does look rather nice, should be a welcome addition to FC-2.

Hopefully the codes will generate on all aircraft in a scene like in the old IL-2, at least that gives a little individuality to the stock skins especially if they resemble the real coding system applied to different nations.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

The damage model DVD adaptation

When your Gunner Shoots your Tail in IL-2 as example, when DVD adapatation match Indiana Jones damage model for WW1 planes

• Confused 1
3 minutes ago, kendo said:

I think you are setting your sights too low. How about simulating the entire pilot's day starting with breakfast, and the difficult choice - Corn Flakes or bacon and eggs? Of course, they would need to simulate the in-flight effects of the food the pilot consumed. Expecting difficult opposition that day - maybe go for that second egg? Or, could it be better to fly on an empty stomach? Of course this would necessitate revised G-modelling to take account of this important factor.

And toilet breaks. Crucial thing there, before flying.

And sleep! What affects a pilot's performance more than whether he has had a good night's sleep.

That's it, we need a Sleep Simulator. This whole thing is just arcade nonsense without it.

Agreed, absolutely, that would truly make the experience very immersive, I would also add the ability to fart after breakfast is essential if beans were on the menu.:cool:

Seriously, compared to the tanks driving a Jeep and just that as I pointed out would be a relatively simple thing, not asking to climb out and walk to the plane, get in and strap in and so on, just drive the vehicle nothing more, that would not only enhance game play but give you the ability to drive the maps just for the fun and for those involved, development.   I might add, did it while making a map for the old game to check roads were level, ish.;)

Kept to a certain level there is nothing arcade about it, T.C. as well as the flight segment of the game would find it beneficial for mission/campaign development, not like this is not already available, just requires the ability to use a particular vehicle by the player.

Take care and be safe.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

Looks awesome! It's great to see some new WWi material coming out and I am really looking forward to the paratroopers jumping out of the C-47s so we can get some Operation Varsity action going!   

Spoiler

Varsity.jpg.680eaf322fe6a0a0fb27efbfa1aaea32.jpg

Yes, I hope so too but the planes in the picture aren't C47's but C46 Commando's. I hope we can get one of those in the game one day, although chances are very slim and I would already be happy if we get the C47 flyable sometime.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Upvote 2
On 4/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, Obelix said:

When I saw the US paratroopers, I felt like flying a C-47.... I had a dream 😘

I have the same dream 😴😍

Regarding ww1: I want to buy everything as soon as possible ... collector aircraft, weapon mods, AI only two-seaters as a "prey package". WHAT EVER !
I'm just waiting to throw some money at the developers.
Regarding ww2: if it's on sale.
I think i'm already too spoiled by ww2 content to still be this excited here.

Edited by Sowercrowd

For the C47, or any non-direct combat aircraft to work in a sim/game environment it needs to be able to contribute via the game's scoring system to the eventual outcome, in the same manner that direct combat aircraft do. This applies to either single or multiplayer.  If not it's all just "feels" and the Douglas will find the same fate as the Junkers 52, flown a few times because it's new, then left gathering dust in the hangar.

The same thing happened in IL2 '46 when we got the C47 and Stinson "Grasshopper" via mods.  They were nothing but a slow flight to a smoking hole in the ground, even with careful mission making.  The compressed nature of simulation just does not work well for these aircraft.  Human players will seek them out as easy kills, and the AI, either in aircraft or AAA guns, will cut them to pieces.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, really I'm not.  But this has been the experience with transport/liason/observation aircraft in sims.  Then take into consideration that they will not generate sales numbers to offset their development costs, and, well, the writing is on the wall here.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

For the C47, or any non-direct combat aircraft to work in a sim/game environment it needs to be able to contribute via the game's scoring system to the eventual outcome, in the same manner that direct combat aircraft do. This applies to either single or multiplayer.  If not it's all just "feels" and the Douglas will find the same fate as the Junkers 52, flown a few times because it's new, then left gathering dust in the hangar.

The same thing happened in IL2 '46 when we got the C47 and Stinson "Grasshopper" via mods.  They were nothing but a slow flight to a smoking hole in the ground, even with careful mission making.  The compressed nature of simulation just does not work well for these aircraft.  Human players will seek them out as easy kills, and the AI, either in aircraft or AAA guns, will cut them to pieces.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, really I'm not.  But this has been the experience with transport/liazon/observation aircraft in sims.  Then take into consideration that they will not generate sales numbers to offset their development costs, and, well, the writing is on the wall here.

You mean we'll most likely be paying twenty bucks to be a target drone. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The same thing happened in IL2 '46 when we got the C47 and Stinson "Grasshopper" via mods.  The were nothing but a slow flight to a smoking hole in the ground, even with careful mission making.  The compressed nature of simulation just does not work well for these aircraft.  Human players will seek them out as easy kills, and the AI, either in aircraft or AAA guns, will cut them to pieces.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, really I'm not.  But this has been the experience with transport/liazon/observation aircraft in sims.  Then take into consideration that they will not generate sales numbers to offset their development costs, and, well, the writing is on the wall here.

No this is wrong. First of all, there is at least one server in which the JU-52 (and of course a possible flyable C-47) is widely used for supplies and earns points for those who use it. It is even very useful for his camp when dropping paratroopers (even if in this case, there is no point to be gained). This server is the FINNISH one. 

In addition, I know a lot of players who will be ready to buy it, me included, with additionnal quantity as gifts for the community.

It is obvious that it would have been better if it was included in the aircraft pack with "Bodenplatte" released, just for the "Market Garden" operation. But as it did not happen, I would like to see it as a collector plane.

Edited by CCG_Pips
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The developers clearly believe that 'niche' collector aircraft like the Ju-52 are financially viable or they wouldn't have given us the Po-2, which is similarly defenseless in the face of enemy fighters but still fun to fly. And of course the c-47 already has a flight model and damage model in place, so much of the work is already done. If necessary the work could be contracted to a 3rd party team like development of the Po-2 was.

• Upvote 1

None of us not actually working on the dev team know how decisions are made on what will be the next collector item or DLC will be.  I'm still shaking my head on some of the recent decisions made here as far as what it getting sold as collector products...   but it is what it is.  When they announce whatever the next thing is they've decided to make a collectors item, if it interest you personally, buy it, if it doesn't,  don't buy it.  It's really that simple.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, really I'm not.  But this has been the experience with transport/liason/observation aircraft in sims.  Then take into consideration that they will not generate sales numbers to offset their development costs, and, well, the writing is on the wall here.

I get to enjoy my Ju52 several times a week running resupply, we really need the C47 on FVP!

As soon as my new yoke arrive I will yet again fly JU 52

I will definitely fly C 47 if available. But there are improvements needed for a genuine game related use of them.

What we have now is more make do solutions.

Making a real gameplay about supply, paratroopers and recce duties, would make this game pretty exclusive.

• Like 1

User #1: Oh, great. Yet another bf109 variant. Why should I pay for yet another entry in an endless chain of copy and paste 109 variants? Give us something interesting.

User #2: Why the heck would I ever fly this limited use-case, niche plane in a combat sim? You're spending valuable development time on this, when [late war variant X of Spit/109/190] is not even available?

• Upvote 2

So far I have purchased everything that has been offered, including the Ju52 and Po-2.  I would rather see the development time and budget go to a flyable B26, B25, or even an A20G, than to the C47, as the bombers will be far more useful to more players than the transport plane will be.  If the C47 is made flyable, I will have to think long and hard before spending my hard earned cash on it, as it's something that I will end up not using much.  Any, or all, of the bombers on the other hand, will be instant, on the spot buys from me and my group of friends, only one of which owns the Ju52.

And here we come to the reality of this issue.  The folks that want flyable transports are very vocal on the forums, as they have every right to be, and thus make it seem like there is a large cadre of people clamoring for these aircraft.  It's a common forum dynamic in any game.  Yet the reality is that of all the people I know that fly the sim, only 2 actually purchased the Ju52.  Two.  One of which was myself.  I dunno, I just think there are better ways for the team to spend time and money, but if it comes it comes. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

And here we come to the reality of this issue.  The folks that want flyable transports are very vocal on the forums, as they have every right to be, and thus make it seem like there is a large cadre of people clamoring for these aircraft.  It's a common forum dynamic in any game.  Yet the reality is that of all the people I know that fly the sim, only 2 actually purchased the Ju52.  Two.  One of which was myself.  I dunno, I just think there are better ways for the team to spend time and money, but if it comes it comes. 

Everyone I play with on the regular has the Ju52. Atleast 10 of not more. 

Mileage may vary

• Upvote 1

The Ju52 and Po-2 and C-47 can be considered quite unique, I think many would argue that the game is better for having them as they perform certain roles not really covered satisfactorily by other aircraft, if they are already in the game then I would prefer them to be flyable.;)

The big issue here is that these types are not catered for very well in the games overall set up, in particular the career mode, what we need is for all the roles they were utilized for including in that and for those who bother about stats appropriate recognition of the roles flown to have them acknowledged for the valuable roles they play.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

So far I have purchased everything that has been offered, including the Ju52 and Po-2.  I would rather see the development time and budget go to a flyable B26, B25, or even an A20G, than to the C47, as the bombers will be far more useful to more players than the transport plane will be.  If the C47 is made flyable, I will have to think long and hard before spending my hard earned cash on it, as it's something that I will end up not using much.  Any, or all, of the bombers on the other hand, will be instant, on the spot buys from me and my group of friends, only one of which owns the Ju52.

Well, no question here of waging a war between those who want the C-47 flyable and those who do not want it or who would like another type of plane.

Anyway,  decision is not ours. On the other hand if I respect your vision of looking much for the B-25 for example (besides me too I would like very much ), I just want to show that there were also a lot of people waiting for the C-47.

In my squad, we almost all have the JU-52 and we will buy, almost all the C-47 ....😉

Edited by CCG_Pips
On 4/2/2021 at 12:45 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Shedding wing fabric, poor roll rate, sometimes balky throttle, not easy to deal with torque.  Better than the Pfalz and Alb which were both long in the tooth by Spring of 1918, but not really a great matchup for the D.VII.  The SPAD could outfly the D.VII in at least some ways. 

The N28 wasn't a terrible plane but it wasn't a world beater either, at least not in mid 1918.

Makes me wonder how it'd compare to a Morane-Saulnier AI / MS.27?

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

the reality is that of all the people I know that fly the sim, only 2 actually purchased the Ju52.  Two.  One of which was myself.  

It's not really your fault in the poor quality of your friends... 😎😀

Also suggest spending the easy earned money rather than the hard earned type 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

Yes, I hope so too but the planes in the picture aren't C47's but C46 Commando's. I hope we can get one of those in the game one day, although chances are very slim and I would already be happy if we get the C47 flyable sometime.

I believe you're correct... go figure. I didn't even notice.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Missionbug said:

The paratrooper is a lovely model but wasted unless they are able to do something other than drop from the aircraft, we will see very little of them really unless as a cinematic up close, what is needed to fully appreciate that artistry is that they interact with the environment in other ways than just falling to earth and not just be a stationary figure once on the ground.   Is this the start to adding some kind of moving armed soldier to the sim to enhance the T.C. experience?

Agree with you there - unless of course the C-47 will eventually become flyable and we can look back into the cargo hold filled with these guys. Would love that.

Certainly hope that this is indeed the start of some kind of moving infantry for TC, but if it is then they've kinda made a poor choice for the infantry model as it doesn't fit at all with most tanks. Even the Sherman is the wrong version for Normandy.

Regarding C-47 vs. allied medium bomber - I'll have both please ☺️ And a heavy bomber, if not flyable then as AI to intercept 🙂

56 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Makes me wonder how it'd compare to a Morane-Saulnier AI / MS.27?

I don't know much about the AI, but that one too does not seem to be quite good enough.  The AI really looks like a parasol N28 in a lot of ways.  Still, the reality is that the French AF never adopted it.  The USAS only acquired them as trainers.  I can only assume there were good reasons for those decisions.  My guess it that it was an OK plane for the time (1919) but not worth pursuing.

I have the Ju52 and I enjoy it.  I definitely prefer fighters but the Ju52 is a great change of pace.  My favorite planes are those that do both ground attack and fighter.  To date that has mostly been the Me110 and FW190.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I don't know much about the AI, but that one too does not seem to be quite good enough.  The AI really looks like a parasol N28 in a lot of ways.  Still, the reality is that the French AF never adopted it.

Well, I believe the French had several units equipped with them for a few months (before converting to SPADs).

Looking at the specifications they had unusually high wing loadings and top speeds (which would have made dogfights difficult...), and they seem to have been good at energy retention (given the records they set). So I wouldn't be surprised if it was just that structural concerns and a lack of manoeuvrability (due to the high wing loading compared to biplanes) meant that the SPAD was superior (hence why they had such a short service life with combat units). It does make it seem a bit comparable to the N.28 though.