Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Instead of trying to hunt down all the different threads for each aircraft, I thought I'd just create a repository here where I can put my skins as I create them. I'm still new to creating skins, so hopefully this can also serve as a progress record for me. All of my skins are available on Mediafire and will be uploaded to HSD as well. 

 

I'll start off with a skin I've been working on for about the past week and just finished up. This is a fictional A-20B. Though I tried to get historically accurate coloration (post-1943 ANA colors), the numbering and nose art is purely fictional. This would be a post-invasion plane, with lower fuselage stripes and underwing stripes.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yf0ylmcdvggyhoy/A20B_Stiff_Breeze.dds/file

 

A20B_Stiff_Breeze.png.4a23e92ae5fa4fcb0579e301047e6318.png

 

 

Edited by co199
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Generic, unmarked A-20B in mid-1942 colors.

 

Prior to ANA-157 introduced in 1943, US aircraft were typically painted in Dark OD 41 with Neutral Gray undersurfaces. Obviously in real life, there was quite a bit of discrepancy in how planes were painted, but by "official guidelines", those were the standards. This is an A-20B in a pre-ANA-157 paint scheme with 1942 roundels, unmarked for generic usage. 

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b6wdyok5to6mlvr/A20B_Base_42.dds/file

 

A20B_Base_42.thumb.png.f1e4d14ba69ccbf50303a432a969aeb7.png

 

Next is a generic, unmarked A-20B circa 1943.

 

Introduced in September of '43, ANA-157 attempted to unify Army and Navy aircraft. Army aircraft didn't find much of a change (mostly a tone shift), with Dark OD 41 replaced by ANA-613 Olive Drab and the neutral gray underside replaced by ANA-603 Sea Gray. Here we have an unmarked, generic A-20B in 1943 colors and insignia. In late 1943, the Army no longer required planes to be painted in camouflage at all, but that rule was inconsistently enforced by unit commanders. These colors remained the standard until the end of the war.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jpt0yc5t0kx6wap/A20B_Base_43.dds/file

 

A20B_Base_43.thumb.png.008cb5c4982b60da4d2570d8d2206d4c.png

 

Edited by co199
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The next three skins are more generic skins, but targeted at D-Day and after.

 

The first one is a generic, unmarked skin with invasion stripes.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r68oenidhcqmp7z/A20B_Invasion.dds/file

 

A20B_Invasion.png

 

Next we have a skin that could represent a post-invasion plane with half-stripes. Again, unmarked for generic usage.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ayzx0desvsou5lv/A20B_Invasion_Half.dds/file

 

A20B_Invasion_Half.png

 

And finally, a plane with heavily worn invasion stripes, meant to represent heavy usage. I tried to replicate some actual photos as far as the weathering went, where the planes were absolutely filthy across the top of the wings.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gxfevio8pe39yfb/A20B_Invasion_Worn.dds/file

 

A20B_Invasion_Worn.png

Edited by co199
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What's a ground attacker without a shark mouth?

 

From what I can find, there are very few photos of A-20s that were painted with shark mouths. A lot of the planes painted with them were stationed in the Pacific, which makes sense as the A-20 had a larger presence there than in the European theater (at least in US service). While our model isn't the venerable G model so beloved by those crews, I figured I'd take a stab at it because there's bound to be some pilots out there that like the low-level stuff like I do.

 

Numbers and ID are fictional, as with all my other planes.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8d5up2wertibuji/A20B_Shark_Mouth.dds/file

 

A20B_Shark_Mouth_Resized.png

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was born to rock'n'roll
everything I need
I was born with the hammer down
I was built for speed

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6z09up9ns4pihze/A20B_Built_for_Speed.dds/file

 

Ok, so the lyrics are not period-appropriate, but considering the A-20 is one of the faster bombers in the game, I thought this was fitting. As always, numbers and ID markings are fictional.

 

A-20B_Built_for_Speed_Resized.png

Edited by co199
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the 8th Air Force never flew the A-20, I thought it would be a fun exercise to try and replicate an 8th AF paint scheme. I also tried out a new method for creating crisp lines and fills, which worked out nicely, I think. This skin is also heavily inspired by the B-17 "Yankee Lady", based at Willow Run airport in Ypsilanti, MI. As always, all identification markings are fictional.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4ia6sbygzlw1laz/A20B_Sweet_Dreams.dds/file

 

A20B_Sweet_Dreams_Resized.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tangerine
She is all they claim
With her eyes of night and lips as bright as flame

Tangerine
When she dances by
Señoritas stare and caballeros sigh

 

"Tangerine" is a 1941 song by Victor Schertzinger and Johnny Mercer, made famous by Jimmy Dorsey in the 1942 movie "The Fleet's In". The single was released in the early part of 1942 and spent six weeks at #1 on the Billboard chart. This skin is inspired by a couple real life planes - the B-25 'Georgie's Gal' and the Lewis Air Legends A-20 Havoc. As always, any identification markings are purely fictional and any relation to historic planes is unintentional.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m0sv7m5eshh63k4/A20B_Tangerine.dds/file

 

A20B_Tangerine_Resized.png

Edited by co199
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A bit of maintenance - I noticed some alpha issues with Sweet Dreams, Sweet Dreams Camo, and Tangerine that ended up making some parts transparent that shouldn't have been.

 

Please re-download from the links in the respective posts. Skins have also been updated in HSD, if you prefer that method.

Edited by co199
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, co199 said:

A bit of change of pace, as I'm working on some squadron birds for a PWCG P-51 campaign. As always, markings are fictional and any relation to real planes is purely coincidental. Starting with the generic squadron bird:

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/djq5xc11soxuvyi/P51D15_JS_Generic.dds/file

 

P51D15_JS_Generic_Resized.png

Which squadron would this be for? I wouldn’t mind stating a campaign using your skins. How many do you plan to make? 
thanks!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, justin_z3r0 said:

Which squadron would this be for? I wouldn’t mind stating a campaign using your skins. How many do you plan to make? 
thanks!

 

 

Hey, thanks for your interest! I'm flattered you are considering using my skins!

 

I'm not a stickler for historic accuracy, so I just pick a squadron and pretend. There's only two P-51 fighter groups in PWCG right now (352nd and 354th), and I usually pick the 354th. I'll be making a total of 12 numbered / ID skins so every pilot can have one, but I provided the generic for 1.) a uniform look, and 2.) in case you want to do something like your pilots have to be promoted to 2LT / 1LT before they get a "hero" plane. 

Edited by co199
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, co199 said:

 

Hey, thanks for your interest! I'm flattered you are considering using my skins!

 

I'm not a stickler for historic accuracy, so I just pick a squadron and pretend. There's only two P-51 fighter groups in PWCG right now (352nd and 354th), and I usually pick the 354th. I'll be making a total of 12 numbered / ID skins so every pilot can have one, but I provided the generic for 1.) a uniform look, and 2.) in case you want to do something like your pilots have to be promoted to 2LT / 1LT before they get a "hero" plane. 

Very cool thanks. 
Im just working on finishing up a campaign (Taman bridgehead) then plan to go back into a PWCG campaign. 
 

thanks for sharing your work. 
do you plan to put it on HSD?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, justin_z3r0 said:

Very cool thanks. 
Im just working on finishing up a campaign (Taman bridgehead) then plan to go back into a PWCG campaign. 
 

thanks for sharing your work. 
do you plan to put it on HSD?

 

Yep, all my content is also available on HSD - you can just filter by my username to find all my uploads!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, co199 said:

Oh, he might have went on living but he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip

 

It might be about 15 years too early to name a plane after this song, but up next we have JS-B "Big Iron".

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bfbtb9m05qif3ps/P51D15_JS-B_Big_Iron.dds/file

 

P51D15_JS-B_Big_Iron_Resized.png

A young Canadian Fella by the name of Colter Wall has a good version of this song "Big Iron". Check it out. Its very good.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, justin_z3r0 said:

A young Canadian Fella by the name of Colter Wall has a good version of this song "Big Iron". Check it out. Its very good.

 

Colter Wall is great! I've been listening to his stuff for a good bit now - you're right, his version of Big Iron is very good! I also like "Kate McCannon" and "Western Swing and Waltzes".

Edited by co199
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two for one in this post, with JS-C and JS-R.

 

Up first is JS-C, "Bottoms Up!". There have been many planes named Bottoms Up and it might be a little strange to not make her a bomber, but I had to indulge a little!

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ol1j09j0rai6ny0/P51D15_JS-C_Bottoms_Up.dds/file

 

P51D15_JS-C_Bottoms_Up_Resized.png.b59c06e73e50aafb6d6a39e325ef1fd2.png

 

And we also have JS-R, "Royal Flush".

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x9u0lr4qjkf6dwd/P51D15_JS-R_Royal_Flush.dds/file

 

P51D15_JS-R_Royal_Flush_Resized.png.eafc60df1dfcdb7c8a752b649efdbe85.png

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, co199 said:

 

Colter Wall is great! I've been listening to his stuff for a good bit now - you're right, his version of Big Iron is very good! I also like "Kate McCannon" and "Western Swing and Waltzes".

Great - you know him! I saw him live in buffalo (pre-pandemic). It was an excellent show. Very good musicians in his band. "Kate McCannon" is a real good one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

 

The lyrics to Kenny Rogers' famous song apply to a lot of things in life, including being a smart fighter pilot. Hopefully JS-G, "The Gambler", can help you stay alive!

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8he07gemed1bwgm/P51D15_JS-G_The_Gambler.dds/file

 

P51D15_JS-G_The_Gambler_Resized.png.5ca49a2367891629e47317ac5da1e9dd.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DN308 said:

Excellent ! I love your A-20 paint schemes!!!

 

Thank you, that's very generous of you! Stay tuned, then - I want to do a little more with the Mustangs, but I have some more A-20 skins in the works, both VVS and US. Here's a WIP sneak preview!

 

 

A20B_VVS_Camo_01_Resized.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll do!

If I had to choose, I would prefer some US version.

 

I would like to have some A-20 of the same design and paint job as 1943-44 B-25. Unless we don’t have any Mitchell available as flyable, I would like to play the A-20 as a 25 in a combat box. 

And B-25 standing as 8th AF’s B-24....

Edited by DN308
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll be pleased, then - I plan on doing at least a squadron's worth of A-20s in both bare metal and camo for the US side for those of us that like to do PWCG campaigns. Have to get the templates sorted first, but they're pretty quick to do after I have the basic layout done. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went ahead and made the rest of the squadron skins for the Mustangs, but these are generic planes with no nose art. You can use these for junior pilots, if you want a certain ID code, or if you don't like any of the "hero" planes. So, all told, you will have 26 planes, JS-A through JS-Z; 12 are "hero" planes, 14 are generic. All planes have unique ID codes and numbers. JS-E is included here as an example. The zip file has all 26 planes - feel free to overwrite previously downloaded skins, there are no changes. I will also be uploading the rest of the skins to HSD if you prefer that method, but it may take me a couple days as I have to make screenshots for all of the new ones.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o326nl5hudk31wa/P51D15_JS_Skins.zip/file

 

P51D15_JS-E_Resized.png.9660cf0e73b703faee9c19003312897d.png

 

"Hero" Planes:

JS-A "After School Special"

JS-B "Big Iron"

JS-C "Bottoms Up"

JS-D "Deuces Wild"

JS-G "The Gambler"

JS-H "The Devil's Daughter"

JS-L "Liberty Belle"

JS-M "Miss B Haven"

JS-Q "Queen of Hearts"

JS-R "Royal Flush"

JS-S "Sierra Sue"

JS-U "Uncle Sam's Escort Service"

 

Generic Planes:

JS-E

JS-F

JS-I

JS-J

JS-K

JS-N

JS-O

JS-P

JS-T

JS-V

JS-W

JS-X

JS-Y

JS-Z

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a couple work-in-progress shots for US A-20s.

 

This one is a generic 8th Air Force / B-17-inspired skin, tweaked from the "Sweet Dreams" skin posted earlier.

 

A20B_LB_Generic_Resized.png.8c4d39f68122a639a32de93b89f7d577.png

 

...and this one is inspired by 7th Bomb Group / 10th Air Force B-24s.

 

A20B_LB_Generic_Camo_Resized.png.2ea7fd730dfe077d7bebad73c46ffc81.png

 

More to come!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 8:47 PM, co199 said:

I went ahead and made the rest of the squadron skins for the Mustangs, but these are generic planes with no nose art. You can use these for junior pilots, if you want a certain ID code, or if you don't like any of the "hero" planes. So, all told, you will have 26 planes, JS-A through JS-Z; 12 are "hero" planes, 14 are generic. All planes have unique ID codes and numbers. JS-E is included here as an example. The zip file has all 26 planes - feel free to overwrite previously downloaded skins, there are no changes. I will also be uploading the rest of the skins to HSD if you prefer that method, but it may take me a couple days as I have to make screenshots for all of the new ones.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o326nl5hudk31wa/P51D15_JS_Skins.zip/file

 

P51D15_JS-E_Resized.png.9660cf0e73b703faee9c19003312897d.png

 

"Hero" Planes:

JS-A "After School Special"

JS-B "Big Iron"

JS-C "Bottoms Up"

JS-D "Deuces Wild"

JS-G "The Gambler"

JS-H "The Devil's Daughter"

JS-L "Liberty Belle"

JS-M "Miss B Haven"

JS-Q "Queen of Hearts"

JS-R "Royal Flush"

JS-S "Sierra Sue"

JS-U "Uncle Sam's Escort Service"

 

Generic Planes:

JS-E

JS-F

JS-I

JS-J

JS-K

JS-N

JS-O

JS-P

JS-T

JS-V

JS-W

JS-X

JS-Y

JS-Z

 

This is awesome! Thanks a Lot for sharing! this helps to enhance Pat Wilson's already great tool!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...