New Nvidia Driver 465.89 - Resizable Bar support is here

Just installed the new Nvidia driver and also flashed the Vbios on my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

My system now shows this Resizable Bar thing as being enabled. I had a bios update for my motherboard for this a little earlier.

No idea what if anything it might do for me for the type of gaming I do.

Edited by dburne
18 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

"and also flashed the Vbios on my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra"

Explain please 😶

EVGA issued an updated bios for their graphics cards to support this new technology from Nvidia today.

So I went ahead and did mine.

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

EVGA issued an updated bios for their graphics cards to support this new technology from Nvidia today.

So I went ahead and did mine.

Huh. I found the page on nVidia's site. I've been building/upgrading PCs for more than 20 years and I don't think updating video card firmware is something that I've ever done.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Huh. I found the page on nVidia's site. I've been building/upgrading PCs for more than 20 years and I don't think updating video card firmware is something that I've ever done.

Well that would come from your vid card mfg. Mine was EVGA so that is where I got my update today through their Precision X1 software.

More info:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Edited by dburne

Given that I doubt there'd be any way to replace my RTX 3090 FE, I'm really wondering if I should go to flash it. I'll just wait a week for the dust to settle to see what is going on, and how reliable that is, before I potentially bolt this card.

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Given that I doubt there'd be any way to replace my RTX 3090 FE, I'm really wondering if I should go to flash it. I'll just wait a week for the dust to settle to see what is going on, and how reliable that is, before I potentially bolt this card.

I have a FE card, and it was pretty painless. The utility checks for compatibility and version before proceeding. And it only took a couple of seconds during the part that said a power loss would damage the card.

But yes, the loss of a 3000-series video card would be quite a catastrophic event these days 🥵

Used to flash my old Radeon cards back in the day to unlock the clocks, that was about 15 odd years ago, not needed to since then.

But like Spider said losing a 3000 series at the moment would be devastating.

47 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Yeah I will admit I was kind of holding my breath when I flashed this EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, flashing any firmware always includes a pucker factor so to speak.

Fk19dtv.jpg

FjM3N25.jpg

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, 30speed said:

looks interesting, although there is no IL2 in the "supported games" list 😄

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Yeah not sure any of my flight sims will end up with support for this, maybe some other VR games I play from time to time, will have to see.

Not noticed any adverse effect from having this enabled now though.

Just now, dburne said:

Yeah not sure any of my flight sims will end up with support for this, maybe some other VR games I play from time to time, will have to see.

picked up the DCS and A8 couple of days back, started to fly it. Man, their VR performance is so bad it's discouraging. Made me appreciate the awesome work the IL2 devs do here even more!

I know you dabble in DCS as well, wondering if your experience with 3090 is better. My 2080ti/5900x combo slice can't handle it even at 45fps reprojection mode as it's a total ghosting mess, and that's with using the shaders mod and low taxing config settings.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 30speed said:

picked up the DCS and A8 couple of days back, started to fly it. Man, their VR performance is so bad it's discouraging. Made me appreciate the awesome work the IL2 devs do here even more!

I know you dabble in DCS as well, wondering if your experience with 3090 is better. My 2080ti/5900x combo slice can't handle it even at 45fps reprojection mode as it's a total ghosting mess, and that's with using the shaders mod and low taxing config settings.

I run DCS at 100% Steam VR Resolution in Reverb G2 and Motion Smoothing on and forced to 45 fps.

Single Player Campaign flying in the Hornet and Persian Gulf is very nice and smooth for me. Even on a crowded Super Carrier.

Both sims I have good VR experience with.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the vBios for my EVGA 3080, but I don't think I would see any benefit in my flightsims right now. From what I've read online it appears that Resizable BAR needs to be enabled via Nvidia drivers for each game and not necessarily by the game devs so it might be a while before it available in IL2, DCS, etc. Or maybe the devs need to coordinate with Nvidia to make it happen? My card and system is running topnotch as is in IL2 GB with Ultra settings at 144 fps on a 1440p monitor right now, though I did undervolt the card for lower temps and lower power consumption, so I'm kind of on the fence about it as I don't play any of the games mentioned in the press releases or upgrade release notes. Maybe I'll get around to it next week.........

17 minutes ago, dburne said:

It's a driver-level feature, I believe. NVidia are using their software to automatically enable the feature in games that they have tested, kind of like their VRSS I think. They're never going to test IL2 so you will need to enable resizeable BAR via NVidia inspector, for il2.exe

Some related chatter where other people say this same thing for other games:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resizable-bar-support-for-rtx-3000-series-gpus-is-now-available.402418/

On 3/31/2021 at 2:38 PM, Alonzo said:

They're never going to test IL2 so you will need to enable resizeable BAR via NVidia inspector, for il2.exe

Do you know how ? I cannot see the option on NVidia inspector to enable il2.exe

Edited by TP_Merlin

Results are in............................................ Resizable Bar for a 5800x CPU and a MSI RTX 3090 has a negative impact on fps, for my test sample of one. i.e. it sux's

After installing all bios and Vbios updates then enabling IL2 Rebar using NVidia Profile Inspector, I lost a substantial and pretty consistent 10 fps when using VR and HP G2 at 100% SS. Went from 85 fps average down to 75 fps.

Simply setting the IL2 Profile back to normal (no Rebar for IL2) with the NVidia Profile Inspector and restarting WMR I got my 10 fps extra back.

Screen grab shows with ReBar OFF

image.png.0c16d9d3d3c79d471f5e4f9dbe4d660d.png

ReBar ON

image.png.2052ff54047746e1c19ac48727d33569.png

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
added bolding
1 hour ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

Results are in............................................ Resizable Bar for a 5800x CPU and a MSI RTX 3090 has a negative impact on fps, for my test sample of one. i.e. it sux's

After installing all bios and Vbios updates then enabling IL2 Rebar using NVidia Profile Inspector, I lost a substantial and pretty consistent 10 fps when using VR and HP G2 at 100% SS. Went from 85 fps average down to 75 fps.

Simply setting the IL2 Profile back to normal (no Rebar for IL2) with the NVidia Profile Inspector and restarting WMR I got my 10 fps extra back.

Screen grab shows with ReBar OFF

image.png.0c16d9d3d3c79d471f5e4f9dbe4d660d.png

ReBar ON

image.png.2052ff54047746e1c19ac48727d33569.png

I wonder if resisable bar could be one of the reasons for bad performance of RX 6000 series radeon cards in IL-2. I have one 6800xt in one of my system and have benched it with poor results. I haven't tried resisable bar off though...

3 minutes ago, thermoregulator said:

I wonder if resisable bar could be one of the reasons for bad performance of RX 6000 series radeon cards in IL-2. I have one 6800xt in one of my system and have benched it with poor results. I haven't tried resisable bar off though...

Unless you go in and try to enable it with Nvidia Inspector, it is not using it.

Also not sure even doing the manual enabling actually works - it is just guesswork at this point.

Probably only way for it to really work would be for Nvidia to enable it through a profile for IL-2. Which likely won't happen.

5 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

What benchmark did you use to determine these numbers?

5 hours ago, dburne said:

Unless you go in and try to enable it with Nvidia Inspector, it is not using it.

Also not sure even doing the manual enabling actually works - it is just guesswork at this point.

Probably only way for it to really work would be for Nvidia to enable it through a profile for IL-2. Which likely won't happen.

That is true, but new radeon cards have resisable bar on by default...

1 hour ago, PA_Willy said:

No. AMD 6000 series performance was bad since day one. With or without resizable BAR enabled.

Are you sure about that? I think I was one of the first to bench 6800XT in this game, and I ran the benchmark with resizable BAR enabled. I think it was supported since day one, or shortly after. To be clear, I myself don't think it's bad performance is caused just by reBAR, but who knows....

No. BAR was supported only in MOBO,s with updated BIOS. My MSI X570 Tomahawk received the first BIOS compatible (BETA) on January 4th. AGESA version on february. MOBOs with older chipsets, received the BIOS update few weeks ago.

Edited by PA_Willy
6 minutes ago, PA_Willy said:

No. BAR was supported only in MOBO,s with updated BIOS. My MSI X570 Tomahawk received the first BIOS compatible (BETA) on January 4th. AGESA version on february. MOBOs with older chipsets, received the BIOS update few weeks ago.

Yes, exactly. January the 5th is the date I managed to get the 6800 XT, and I am not aware of anybody, who could test the card in this game sooner than me. So I am not sure, If anybody have actually tried to run the game on rx 6000 series card with resisable BAR off.

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Nvidia has not provided support to date for REBAR in IL-2.

I imagine they likely will not.

Yes, that seems to be unlikely. This is probably not a right forum topic for that, but I was just wondering if turning off the resizable bar could help radeon card owners to improve their underwhelming performance in this game.

On 4/8/2021 at 2:23 AM, Alonzo said:

What benchmark did you use to determine these numbers?

The results are from one of the ground attack quick mission that I am quite familiar with.

I am working away from my home at present and will post some SYN_Vander recorded mission comparison's once I have access to my flight sim kit again.

I am not expecting this test to show results any different to what I have already reported. 

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
typo