Black Cross Red Star Vol 1

J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Greetings Pilots

After Vol 4 & 5 of this excellent series, Christer Bergstrom has begun work on the revision of earlier (now unobtainable) volumes. Including new information and pictures. Here is an extract of Vol 1 coming later this year.

image.png.a954a1c5431661d607004e3e09b34568.pngimage.png.c8a0c0c739954b462e37780a39b8c6c8.pngimage.png.fd1309fb70c0fc5bf0e1ac9d417a1f46.pngimage.png.a8a80000524e58b7919838c64d499baf.pngimage.png.90b31d7888a2fcab5ea0c08b68de73f6.pngimage.png.b2710c8d88951b94f7885bae47d24588.pngimage.png.20b94e338f4d06faad29d6cb8ee9c855.pngimage.png.e829c8abcc794a4a19f4cb4c5b738e30.pngimage.png.a4e67d5a1140a1e61f8004e19d05677d.png

image.png

Edited by J5_Spyboy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

von_Tom
Hi, my dear friends,

I attach an excerpt of the raw, unedited, and not yet proofread manuscript of Black Cross Red Star – Air War Over The Eastern Front: Volume 1. Please have patience with some linguistic errors in the text – those will be corrected before printing. Photos will also be added.

Here are some updates on my two forthcoming new books:

Black Cross Red Star – Air War Over The Eastern Front: Volume 1 Operation Barbarossa

Stalingrad – New Perspectives on an Epic Battle

I have nearly finished both books. However, I need to visit the archives to find answers to some questions that have emerged during my work on these, and I think that I will get my corona vaccine in time to visit all archives in June or so. Then I will be able to finish both books in a matter of some weeks. So I think we can prepare for the publishing of both books this summer.

More about both books here:

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/black-cross-red-star-air-war-eastern-front-volume-1-operation-barbarossa/

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/stalingrad-epic-battle-revisited/

The new edition of Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 1 that exceeds the first edition regarding the quality of the material to the point that the new edition actually is a completely new book.

Stalingrad – New Perspectives on an Epic Battle brings our knowledge on this turning point of World War II several big steps forward. It brings forward many hitherto unknown facts and dispels many myths and misconceptions of the battle. Here are just some examples:

• Why did the Germans focus so much on Stalingrad?
• The myth that the name of the city – ”Stalin’s City” – played any role at all is analyzed and rejected: Stalingrad in fact was the key to German success, both strategically and tactically. How and why is explained in the book.
• How were the Soviets able to hold out in Stalingrad?
• What happened to the civilians in Stalingrad?
• A complete re-evaluation and examination of what has been said to be German ”mistakes” during this campaign.
• The German plans to retreat from Stalingrad – and how they failed.
• Hermann Göring’s and the Luftwaffe’s greatest mistake in this campaign was not the air bridge, which needs to be re-evaluated, but something with far greater implications, although neglected in history writing.
If you haven’t pre-ordered the books, I really would appreciate it if you could do so. Corona has hit my business hard, and I do need more cash in order to produce these two books in high quality.

You don’t have to pay anything yet – I will tell you when it is time to do so, that is when I know exactly when the books will be published.

In order to bring about a quick release of Volume 1, I consider a crowdfunding-solution. The crowdfunders will also have their names printed as an acknowledgment in each of the books.

I ask everyone who wants to participate in the crowdfunding with USD$120 per book or more to e-mail me.

This also applies to people who don’t want to crowdfund, but who wish to pre-order a signed copy for $70.00 plus postage.

To pre-order, please email me at 
redacted email

I am publishing this by myself in order to get the highest printing quality, but I have no real budget for marketing. If you could help me by spreading the word, it would be of great help. Please ask people who are interested to email me for more information at redacted email

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SPREAD THE ATTACHED EXCERPT OF BLACK CROSS RED STAR EVERYWHERE ON SOCIAL MEDIA ETC.

One more thing: Please ask around at book stores in your country to find book stores interested in taking in a couple of copies. No one could inform them better than you of the great interest in these unique books!

You can find all my presently available books in English here:

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt-kategori/english/

All the best,

Christer Bergström

His email.

von Tom

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ShamrockOneFive

I've been meaning to buy some of the volumes. I nearly did back in the fall and then got sidetracked.

sevenless

Looking forward to both of his books. I really hope sometime in the future he gets to the point to deal with the 1943/44/45 time frame of the air war. Kursk to Bagration and Vistula to Berlin.

ZachariasX
2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I've been meaning to buy some of the volumes. I nearly did back in the fall and then got sidetracked.

By now, they are much more affordable, as he changed the publisher. He is not limited by word count by book anymore plus the printing is much nicer. The planned "upgrade" to Volume 2 will be especially significant. There will be eventually eight volumes to cover the whole war on the easern front.

216th_Cat

Waiting for this one! 🙏 

Have all the others (including vol.V gifted me by Busdriver 👍🍻) but only manged to get a read of the original vol.1 once, and that was many moons ago.

Top work Christer, thanks.

sevenless
22 minutes ago, FlyingH said:

Volume 1 ordered. @sevenlessvol 5 deals with Kuban and Kursk battles.

@FlyingH. Yes I know. I own it. I was talking about the events after Kursk starting 8/43 until the end of the war. Vol. 6,7 and 8 might include that, if Christer ever manages to write them.

• 4 weeks later...
FTC_Burdokva
On 3/30/2021 at 8:17 PM, sevenless said:

Looking forward to both of his books. I really hope sometime in the future he gets to the point to deal with the 1943/44/45 time frame of the air war. Kursk to Bagration and Vistula to Berlin.

Same here. He has published standalone books on the German fighter units on the Eastern Front, I've seen the one on the last stage of the war (Autumn 1944 - Spring 1945). While good, they're quite limited in volume and perspective, not taking Soviet accounts, nor even SG units, or allied Axis air forces (Hungary comes to mind in particular). 

For some reason, everything on the airwar on the Eastern Front after Kursk falls into partial obscurity. I am hopefully looking forward to BC/RS Volumes covering those periods in greater detail.

Edited by ACG_Burdokva

• 2 weeks later...
von_Tom

From what I've seen the re-issued version will be far better than the original.

I agree about the need to see the series through to May 1945.  I'd love to see this though it does seem to me that the longer the war went on, the greater scope of any books, and a lot more work is needed.

von Tom

• 2 months later...
busdriver

From Christer today, July 26th

Dear friends and supporters,

I am working almost day and night to finish the brand new 2021 edition of Black Cross Red Star Vol. 1, which I personally think will be the hitherto best volume in the series. As mentioned before, it is more or less a new book compared with the 1999 edition. It has a word count twice as large as the old one, several errors are corrected, and the vast majority of the photos are new, as are all maps, and there are brilliant color profiles by Jim Laurier.

The manuscript has been finished for some time now. I have been proofreading it very carefully, and the language has been checked scrupulously by an English native speaking. I am now at the last stage of the work, to select photos and write photo captions.

I am very careful in this so that you all will get only the best. This takes some time, but it has to take time. That is because I devote so much time to find the best photos and write detailed photo captions that add new information apart from what is in the manuscript.

I have underestimated the time this will take. I am now working on photos for Chapter 9 (out of twenty-five chapters), and for each chapter that I select photos for, I proofread the chapter again. I allow myself just one week’s vacation – that will be five days in August. But altogether, this means that I will not be able to have the book finished in August, as I earlier estimated. But I can guarantee that it will be published and posted to all of you who have pre-ordered it in September this year.

I can assure you all that when the work on the photos is finished, you will find very many photos that you have never seen before (from pilot veterans’ private photo albums etc) and that will make many of you positively surprised.

A couple of weeks ago, I told you that unfortunately, Volume 1 had not received as many pre-orders as I would need, and I asked you to spread the word about it on social media, etc. I would like to thank all of you who did that. Thanks to your great and very valuable effort, I have received a flood of new pre-orders in the past weeks. That is absolutely fantastic! Now I have 180 pre-orders, including 72 crowdfunders who contribute with 1,000 SEK each to make this book become a reality. That is mainly because of the tremendous help that I have received from you, my dear supporters, because I have no budget for marketing, and it also is very difficult since I am sitting in the cold remote northern corner of the world called ”Sweden”.

I attach the layout (though not completely proofread yet) of the first pages in the book, where you can find the contents.

If you could please have one more go at social media, book stores, etc, to spread the word about my book, I would be most grateful. I think that the new historical grounds that I am opening in Black Cross Red Star Vol. 1 would be very interesting to many people who still have no idea about the existence of the Black Cross Red Star series. Anyone interested in the series could email me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com with the header ”Want more information on Black Cross Red Star”.

See also:
https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/black-cross-red-star-air-war-eastern-front-volume-1-operation-barbarossa/

I also attach an excerpt from Volume 5 (which you have all seen before) that you can spread freely everywhere, share with your friends, etc, as much as you like.

Please reply only to this email address: vaktelforlag@gmail.com

All the best from a presently not so cold Sweden, 😊🌤

Christer Bergström

• 2 months later...

Hello, anyone have any updates on progress of the book? Last I heard, final draft was sent off to the printers around a month ago and shipping info was finalized. All quiet since then though.

SYN_Ricky

Received my copy today, was a bit scared at first because the package was very damaged, but fortunately the bubble plastic wrapping prevented any damage on the book itself. Started reading a couple of pages, this one will occupy my evenings for a moment. 

Further update from Christer regarding volume 1…..

Black Cross Red Star, Vol. 1 - order before Friday!

Hello again, dear friends and supporters,

Black Cross Red Star, Vol. 1 has arrived from the printer!

We have sent out over 200 pre-ordered copies - to everyone who has pre-ordered the book and paid for the book and postage.

Some who have made pre-orders but have not made full payment yet have been reminded. If you have ordered the book from me and paid and haven't received an email to remind you to pay, then what you have ordered has been shipped to you.

I am absolutely swamped with new orders coming in, so this will definitely be a great success, and this is very much owing to you, my highly esteemed supporters and friends, who have helped me out by spreading the word about the book! Please continue to do so.

Please note that between Friday, October 15 and November 13, I will not be able to send any books, so if you are considering placing an order for a signed copy from me, please email me your postal address and transfer your payment before that - or after.

Please transfer the payment to my Paypal account:
vaktelforlag@gmail.com

The price for the book is 600 SEK, and postage is 250 SEK + 6 % in Paypal fee = in total 900 SEK.

In these insecure days, I prefer to receive payment in my own currency, Swedish krona. 1 USD = 8.80 SEK.

You can read more about the book here:

All the best,

Christer Bergström

Vaktel Förlag

Box 3027

S-630 03 Eskilstuna

Sweden

The author promised that the revised volumes of this series, by virtue of new research, would be as new books. I can confirm that Volume 1 is excellent. In terms of quality of production and content it is one of the finest aviation history books I have seen. It complements the recently revised Vols 4 & 5 and with revisions promised in the next couple of years of Vols 2,3,& 6 the series seems destined to become the definitive work on the subject.

If you have an interest in this (which is presumably why you are here!) do yourself a big favour and buy a copy.