I figured that this HAD to have already been suggested as I've talked to numerous people about it, but when I searched just now, I did not see any topics on it.

So for my suggestion, which would be a very high priority for me, would be give the Bf110 G-2 the Mk108 option, that replaces the four 7.92mm MGs.

I can't express how much I would love to have this option; I feel like it's an absolute must have!

3 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Imagine going head to head with a Bf-110 with 2x 30mms, 2x 20mms and 1x 37mm. Historical accuracy be damned.

They couldn't use the 20mm and the 37mm at the same time. The ammo for the 37mm was stored in the place of the 20mm guns.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

They couldn't use the 20mm and the 37mm at the same time. The ammo for the 37mm was stored in the place of the 20mm guns.

^^He's right; exactly what I was going to say.

And how often does the Bf110 G-2 with 37mm get into dogfights where they do head on attacks?  Whenever I take the 37mm, I try to avoid dogfights at all costs.  

I find it odd that it would be argued not to have a historical armament, because of a theoretical (and rare even in game) possibility, claiming "historical accuracy be damned." 

Edited by SCG_FeuerFliegen

I always thought this, along with the Ju-87D5, and the A-20G1 and Boston III - would come together for a 'variants' expansion... maybe even include a Mustang I or Fw-190A4. That said, it might be better to include them as part of some kind of anniversary addition update for each module in turn. Anyway, I'm speculating a bit too much.

I think the interesting question would be - when was the Mk-108 introduced? On what units?

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

I always thought this, along with the Ju-87D5, and the A-20G1 and Boston III - would come together for a 'variants' expansion... maybe even include a Mustang I or Fw-190A4. That said, it might be better to include them as part of some kind of anniversary addition update for each module in turn. Anyway, I'm speculating a bit too much.

I think the interesting question would be - when was the Mk-108 introduced? On what units?

I agree, and have mentioned elsewhere before that they should create new collector's planes such as the Ju-87 D5 and A-20 G, as they have already done the majority of the work for the flight models, interiors, etc.

As far as your question regarding when was the Mk-108 introduced, (I assume you mean on the Bf110 G-2), I remember being told once that the reason it didn't come with that option, was that it was not used specifically in the battle of Kuban.  Personally I hate that, and it almost sounds like a lazy excuse; like no one would care about using it in other scenarios other than 100% historical battle of Kuban.  This game is so much more than career mode.

14 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

4 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

^^He's right; exactly what I was going to say.

And how often does the Bf110 G-2 with 37mm get into dogfights where they do head on attacks?  Whenever I take the 37mm, I try to avoid dogfights at all costs.  

That’s why I said ‘historical accuracy be dammed’ to accomodate my joke about comically heavy firepower :P

I find it odd that it would be argued not to have a historical armament, because of a theoretical (and rare even in game) possibility, claiming "historical accuracy be damned." 

I’m not sure what you mean by this?

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47
3 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

As far as your question regarding when was the Mk-108 introduced, (I assume you mean on the Bf110 G-2), I remember being told once that the reason it didn't come with that option, was that it was not used specifically in the battle of Kuban.  Personally I hate that, and it almost sounds like a lazy excuse; like no one would care about using it in other scenarios other than 100% historical battle of Kuban.  This game is so much more than career mode.

You remember or were told incorrectly. The reason it didn't receive the MK 108 was because it was a weapon system deployed only in the West against heavy bomber formations. The BK 3.7 mod only saw action at Kursk, as far as I know, yet we still have it as a choice. 

8 hours ago, Avimimus said:

I always thought this, along with the Ju-87D5, and the A-20G1 and Boston III - would come together for a 'variants' expansion... maybe even include a Mustang I or Fw-190A4.

agree, and have mentioned elsewhere before that they should create new collector's planes such as the Ju-87 D5 and A-20 G, as they have already done the majority of the work for the flight models, interiors, etc.

Add the Bf 110 F2 for Battle of Stalingrad to replace the outdated E2.

3 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

That’s why I said ‘historical accuracy be dammed’ to accomodate my joke about comically heavy firepower

Recognizing humor in a language, you learned in school, sometimes is not too easy.:wacko:

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Recognizing humor in a language, you learned in school, sometimes is not too easy.:wacko:

It is also difficult online I find, no voice tone or facial expressions - it makes it hard for even native English speakers (not to mention the existence of cultural differences within the English speaking world related to how humour is expressed).

6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

You remember or were told incorrectly. The reason it didn't receive the MK 108 was because it was a weapon system deployed only in the West against heavy bomber formations. The BK 3.7 mod only saw action at Kursk, as far as I know, yet we still have it as a choice. 

Well, we now have a Kursk map (albeit small).

Do you know if any of the Bf-110 interceptors survived to be thrown against the Soviets in ground attack in late '44-'45? Or would they have been stripped for spares to help keep the Bf-110 night fighters operating once the P-51 threat got too great for daytime interceptions? It seems that they got pretty desperate towards the end and a lot of aircraft were repurposed to try to fill gaps near the end.

5 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Do you know if any of the Bf-110 interceptors survived to be thrown against the Soviets in ground attack in late '44-'45? Or would they have been stripped for spares to help keep the Bf-110 night fighters operating once the P-51 threat got too great for daytime interceptions? It seems that they got pretty desperate towards the end and a lot of aircraft were repurposed to try to fill gaps near the end.

The only Bf 110s I know of that operated in the East after mid-1943 were those in reconnaissance units. Otherwise, they were all redirected into night fighter formations, once they had been chased from the daylight skies.

Edited by LukeFF
2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

The only Bf 110s I know of that operated in the East after mid-1943 were those in reconnaissance units. Otherwise, they were all redirected into night fighter formations, once they had been chased from the daylight skies.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I know that some night fighters were employed for intruder duty during the Ardennes offensive... but it sounds like we possibly should never see the Mk-108 in this sim (although I'm often for letting the player experiment with systems... part of a kind-of virtual 'experimental archaeology').

On 3/30/2021 at 11:09 PM, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I agree, and have mentioned elsewhere before that they should create new collector's planes such as the Ju-87 D5 and A-20 G, as they have already done the majority of the work for the flight models, interiors, etc.

the a20 G with the turret is a must. the single .50 is laughable.  

• Upvote 1
On 4/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, gimpy117 said:

the a20 G with the turret is a must. the single .50 is laughable.  

The A-20G would be amazing.  Between having two belt fed .50's in a rear turret, plus replacing the .30 caliber ventral gun with a .50 M2, there'd be no excuse for it not being as good as the Pe-2 (other than direct 6 when blocked by the rudder).  Also some had six nose mounted .50 M2s, with about 350 rounds per gun instead of the measly 200 rounds per gun in the B model, and could be outfitted with 12 M8 rockets.  It's too good for them to not do as there would be relatively little work to do versus an all new bomber.

The thing I don't understand, is why is it not already equally as good as the Pe-2's turret gunner?  Of course it would be different if the plane is attacking from direct 6, due to the rudder, but from a 45 degree angle from up high, a position where both guns can hit, somehow the Pe-2 is still 10x as deadly.  It would also be great if you didn't have to reload the box magazine after just a few seconds of fire, and it just had a belt with all of the ammo connected together.

In a perfect world we'd also get an A-26

I noticed that there is apparently also a version of the A-20B with a turret (although I don't know any details about it); I saw it on a model aircraft build video here - 

Yes, the first A-20Bs were sent straight into service with the original American turret, since modifying it to carry a Soviet turret would have caused further delays. It was only later that A-20s started being fitted with the Soviet turret.