B-25 Poll  

124 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for a B-25 collector plane ?

• less than 50$
    • more than 50$
    • more than 80$
    • more than 100$

the lack of real allied bombers on the US/UK side makes the game more boring, so that's the question...!

How much would you pay for a B-25 collector plane ?  Personally, I could pay up to 120$... maybe more.

I suspect that were the developers to decide to rework the B-25 as a flyable aircraft, the price they'd settle on would be based on an assessment of the broader market, rather that just forum regulars - who tend to be the more committed, and thus on balance more willing to pay higher prices. It's the less-committed casual purchasers that are going to make up the majority of sales, if the price is low enough to attract the sort of sales figures that make it viable at all.

I don't think price is likely to be the only issue when contemplating such options though - or even necessarily the most significant one. I seem to recall Jason already saying somewhere that he'd like to do it. But can the existing game engine do it justice? And do they have the resources to spare, while they are committed to producing all they have on their plate already?  And if they were to take on more resources (i.e. new team members), would they get a better return on investment by using them elsewhere?

To be clear, I'm sure I'd but a flyable B-25 for IL-2 GB at any sensible price the developers offered it for. I just don't think that price is likely to be the sole deciding factor when they consider the merits of doing it .

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 4

Alas there's no 0$ option; IMO it should be included as the same with the C47 in the premium BoN version. 

OR as a $25 collector plane if they need to outsource such a project.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Alas there's no 0$ option; IMO it should be included as the same with the C47 in the premium BoN version. 

OR as a $25 collector plane if they need to outsource such a project.

It must be wonderful to live in a world where developers don't have to pay for food or rent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

true, but regarding what at least i paid sofar IL2 is getting quite expensive, even comparable to 'professional' audio and video software ..

and i also bought some give-away codes for support LoL.

• Upvote 2

Good software for complex niche products generally isn't cheap. I've seen a comment by a producer of 'study-level' content for MSFS that a single aircraft could amount to half a million dollars in development costs alone. Not directly comparable with IL-2 GB, for several reasons, but it gives an idea of what may be involved.

• Confused 2

Honestly, considering the exchange rate... I wouldn't pay $50. However, I think I would pay for a package that contained a number of AI aircraft as well though, and maybe some terrain or campaign improvements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah. I'd pay $50 for a flyable B-17, H8K, a bundle of aircraft/Collector plane pack, or a Murmansk or late war Italy map, but $50 for a flyable B-25 or B-26 seems quite pricy. For me I would just buy one of the things mentioned prior for $50... that's all; until a sale arrives.

Edited by Enceladus
Posted (edited)

When you think that some ships exceed 500$ and more with Star Citizen...and this just to support the project !
We could make an effort to support 1CG and BoXxx

this is just my opinion ....

EDIT : But, as AndyJWest says, managing a team like 1CG can't be easy and must not be compare  to SC

Edited by Ploofy
  • Like 1

Yup. I'm not sure Star Citizen should be used as an example for anything except human gullibility. It certainly doesn't indicate that throwing money at a project will necessarily get things delivered sooner. For that, you need developers with a clear plan, not hucksters who promise every contradictory thing their fanbase asks for, then can't deliver.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Give me the A-20G first.

Well, great answer but this is not the question asked in this poll.

Edited by Ploofy

I would pay for it to help development, but it's not a personal "pet plane" of mine so I would not want to pay $50.00 or more for it.

I guess it all depends on priorities and personal preference...

• Upvote 1

How much did we pay for the Ju-52 again? Considering the B-25 is largely finished and paid for, less the interior, I wouldn't pay more for it than the Ju-52. Structure, DM, AI scripts, and FM is already done. So, less than $50 for sure.

• Upvote 4
10 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Give me the A-20G first.

QFT.

Well, since I must not mention New Guinea all the time, I also cannot mention my prefereance for the Strafer-Nosed Mitchells over the one we already have in game.

• Upvote 2

To the question:

Same as for the Ju 52 collector for a flyable version. 25 EUR.

However, I would be more interested in the A20-G as a flyable plane.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I also cannot mention my prefereance for the Strafer-Nosed Mitchells over the one we already have in game.

As the main difference is the nose, maybe they can make both and we'll have the strafer-nose optional?

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Like 1

I would love to see all main allied light/medium bombers for 1944/1945 appear as flyable (B25/B26/Boston III/A20G-J/A26), it's what is lacking the most for the Western Front (+C47).

An problem with the B25 strafer versions is that they were not used on the Western front, they were used in the Mediterranean and especially the Asiatic-Pacific front, hopefully the devs can go to these theatres of war in the future but till then I don't expect to see them.

Maybe they can do the A20G together with the A20J as an mod (Bomber Nose version), this way you get both the strafer and bomber version in 1 package.

Both had the same longer hull + turret so it might be possible.

A20J was also used by the British as Boston IV.

A20G and A20J were often flying together on the Western front, especially when the A20G was used an an level bomber.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, ww2fighter20 said:

I would love to see all main allied light/medium bombers for 1944/1945 appear as flyable (B25/B26/Boston III/A20G-J/A26), it's what is lacking the most for the Western Front (+C47).

I think this too.

An problem with the B25 strafer versions is that they were not used on the Western front, they were used in the Mediterranean and especially the Asiatic-Pacific front, hopefully the devs can go to these theatres of war in the future but till then I don't expect to see them.

We have the option for the trop version of the Hurricane which was not used in Europe or Russia so there's hope.

Maybe they can do the A20G together with the A20J as an mod (Bomber Nose version), this way you get both the strafer and bomber version in 1 package.

Good idea.

Have a nice day.

Edited by FlyingShark
10 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

How much did we pay for the Ju-52 again? Considering the B-25 is largely finished and paid for, less the interior, I wouldn't pay more for it than the Ju-52. Structure, DM, AI scripts, and FM is already done. So, less than $50 for sure.

The current non-sale price for the JU-52 is $24.99. That is a good price, anything much higher than that for any aircraft is a non starter unless it had some extremely unique features or multiple variants.

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 1
Just now, DBFlyguy said:

anything higher than that for any aircraft is a non starter unless it had some extremely unique features or multiple variants.

The B25 has a turret.

2 Actually and the belly turret is retractable, so it would be a new addition to the series.

Have a nice day.

I would not consider it excessive to pay over £50 for a flyable B-25 or C-47, the models are really well detailed and with cockpits to match I always thought the team charged way too little for their aircraft and modules, that said Jason has already stated on many occasions that the way they do things has been found to be the better option for them and so we get things very cheaply overall when compared to other game companies.;)

Not sure if the lower prices reflect different salaries between Western and Eastern development teams or not but I doubt many of us has actually ever paid full price for anything in this series, I usually pre-order so I can see the module as it develops, there is always some kind of discount doing that, for those with very much reduced incomes I think waiting for sales is not too much of a problem, this seems to give the team the income they require through the development process and beyond and has kept things going so far.😲

If the price model works for them then all is good, if it is not broke do not try to fix it is good reasoning as far as their pricing goes, this way many are able to participate where in other games some could be priced out and be unable to enjoy their passion.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1

Honestly I don't think this poll means much if you don't include the option of not buying it at all. 

I probably would buy it but I'm not sure as bombers aren't super fun to fly for me. 

8 hours ago, Mac_Messer said:

I`m not the bomb type guy so I`d must have the strafer variant available - at $30.

Yeah...the J is the only one that get's my juices flowing.

1 hour ago, DBFlyguy said:

I'll take the flyable B-25 we actually get...if we ever actually get one...

I will too...just like I took the flyable A-20 that I got...still wishing it had been the G.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I will too...just like I took the flyable A-20 that I got...still wishing it had been the G.

It may as well have been, given that the navigator/bombardier position hasn't been modelled for the player's use in the A-20B.

I would purchase a B-25 instantly.

• Upvote 1

I'd pay $25 for it - same as the standard price for the Ju-52. I'd say that's probably on the higher-end of what most people would pay for an aircraft. Like I think others have said, it would need to be priced for the masses. I think anything higher and most people will just wait for a sale. 

Hopefully they'll make an Avro Anson someday and make my late grandfather (and the bomber pilots he trained in the RCAF), proud. I'll be real though, it would never sell, as it was primarily used as as a trainer after all. :)

• Like 2
On 4/10/2021 at 4:31 PM, CanadaOne said:

Not sure any IL2 plane is a $50 venture as it stands.

A Lancaster with Grand Slams would certainly be worth it. Or maybe a nice B-17.

Sorry - The game engine is too advanced for 4 engine aircraft. :coffee:

On 3/28/2021 at 7:02 AM, AndyJWest said:

It must be wonderful to live in a world where developers don't have to pay for food or rent.

LOL economic models and flight models have more than numbers in common. Building it doesn't necessarily mean "...they will buy it". Thus, one might as well be working for free. ;)

• Upvote 1
On 4/16/2021 at 1:33 AM, Groove_GFA said:

I'd pay $25 for it - same as the standard price for the Ju-52. I'd say that's probably on the higher-end of what most people would pay for an aircraft. Like I think others have said, it would need to be priced for the masses. I think anything higher and most people will just wait for a sale. 

Hopefully they'll make an Avro Anson someday and make my late grandfather (and the bomber pilots he trained in the RCAF), proud. I'll be real though, it would never sell, as it was primarily used as as a trainer after all. :)

Yes I must agree with you, $25 would be the absolute tops I'd pay for a flyable B-25. Although I'd pay that for a Mosquito MK.IV before an B-25 model any day of the week ;)  The prices of all the collector planes have been set set for a long time and none of them are over $25. I have no idea where the OP gets $50 as a benchmark or even up to double that as options for this poll.

That said an Avro Anson would be cool. I imagine they were indeed mostly used as trainers in Canada, as they were in Australia, but they saw regular front-line use in the UK with Coastal Command. They were also used as transports and general squadron hacks. I think off the top of the head the Anson even gets a mention in Clostermann's book "The Big Show" where he refers to "the duty Anson". I may be wrong, it's been a while since I read it or it may have been another book :)

There is still a Mk.I in flying trim in New Zealand and apparently you can fly in it, for a fee.

Their website, https://www.avroanson.com/#

Plus, I remember that one was being made for CLoD, AI only, but I don't know if it was included in the release. But the wip screens I saw at the time looked excellent. I provided the modeler with cockpit photos and video I took of the front section of a Mk.I Anson at a museum in Sale, Victoria, Australia at the old base they flew from as trainers during the war. I must have them stashed on a hard drive some place, if you want them I'll look them out for you.

I may be the odd one out, but I would find a trainer, transport like the Anson more interesting than many's a late war fighter :)

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Pict said:

Yes I must agree with you, $25 would be the absolute tops I'd pay for a flyable B-25. Although I'd pay that for a Mosquito MK.IV before an B-25 model any day of the week ;)  The prices of all the collector planes have been set set for a long time and none of them are over $25. I have no idea where the OP gets $50 as a benchmark or even up to double that as options for this poll.

That said an Avro Anson would be cool. I imagine they were indeed mostly used as trainers in Canada, as they were in Australia, but they saw regular front-line use in the UK with Coastal Command. They were also used as transports and general squadron hacks. I think off the top of the head the Anson even gets a mention in Clostermann's book "The Big Show" where he refers to "the duty Anson". I may be wrong, it's been a while since I read it or it may have been another book :)

There is still a Mk.I in flying trim in New Zealand and apparently you can fly in it, for a fee.

Their website, https://www.avroanson.com/#

Plus, I remember that one was being made for CLoD, AI only, but I don't know if it was included in the release. But the wip screens I saw at the time looked excellent. I provided the modeler with cockpit photos and video I took of the front section of a Mk.I Anson at a museum in Sale, Victoria, Australia at the old base they flew from as trainers during the war. I must have them stashed on a hard drive some place, if you want them I'll look them out for you.

I may be the odd one out, but I would find a trainer, transport like the Anson more interesting than many's a late war fighter :)

So many great things to say about your post, but I have to start with the video you shared with me - that is amazing! I would absolutely love the chance to fly in one! Perhaps one day when life allows it I can travel there. I've seen one in a museum at CFB Greenwood, which is a Mk 2. Here's a link to their collection: http://www.gmam.ca/collections.html. They've got a link to a pdf on that site which has some info on their restoration.

It would be great if they released an Anson as a trainer - I actually purchased and used the U-2 to help me get acquainted with the sim with the intent to have it be a trainer for me, and I very much enjoy flying it from time-to-time. I also agree with your wish for the Mosquito - that's such a cool aircraft. If memory serves there's going to be one in the BON content I need to get around to purchasing soon. I am also wishing for a C-47 as a future collector aircraft - even more so than the B-25.

I haven't played CLoD yet (I own it, but it isn't installed at the moment), but I look forward to trying it. Your contribution to the development of the plane in the game is most welcome and appreciated! I would definitely love to see those photos you have taken, but as long as it isn't any trouble of course. Sifting through photos can be a very time-consuming endeavor at times!

If you're ever looking for a wingman and if the time zone works out (I'm in the Atlantic time zone), just let me know! :)

-Groove