Easy On Easy Off Base/Stick Options for a Multi Purpose Cockpit?

I’ve built a racing cockpit many years ago and have been happy with it as far as my set goes, But now that I also have a pc that can run IL-2, I’m slowly turning it into an MPC (multi Purpose Cockpit). 

Ive recently changed wheel/pedal combo and I think I’ve dialed pedals to where I’m comfortable with a slight seat adjustment. I’ve decided CH Pro rudders are the last bit of flying sim gear I’m going to replace and I think I’ll have them partially resting on the race sim pedals while I’m playing IL-2, which leaves the red marked up area for a stick base.

My hope is to mount the base on the “floor” of my rig itself, and then a 30-40 cm extension (an S extension probably) will bring the stick comfortably to optimum elevation between the knees, without a notch in the seat.

Obviosly, I’d rather not have the stick between my legs when I’m racing, so I’m looking for the easiest/quickest ON/OFF capabilities for the  stick extension and base. Never having used anything but my Saitek X45, I’m looking to get some input on what your experiences are when it comes to ease of removal/replacement and the effects of repeated ON/OFF cycles on sticks and bases.

Thanks in advance,

PS: currently throttle’s location and position is not ideal, so another plywood base is in “production” to place it closer to left knee/femur when seated. I’m still working on lowering the table top so the steering wheel is the correct angle. New steering base has a shallower mounting angle than the old one, so the cockpit will have to be adjusted for optimum steering wheel placement

A2460DF9-AF50-4EA0-A3E2-5BF010C07C31.jpeg

Check out what I described in this topic:

Since I now have a motion platform I have now attached my CH devices to the GT Ultimate bucket seat I now use, but what I describe above worked very well for me for years.

I'm now mulling over using articulated arms with clamps that camera hobbyists use to mount cameras, lights, etc. so I can better position my throttle and quadrant off the side of my chair. But I'm away from my gaming rig this week so that'll have to wait.

Edited by Charlo-VR
  • Like 1

I use toggle clips, the tension adjustment means there's no unwanted movement. It's not a multi purpose rig, this just allows me to get to the tangle of usb wires inside but would work for you I think.

20210328_083924.jpg

• Like 2

I'm looking to build something simple out of some wood to sit my Obutto Ozone cockpit on top of, so I can do exactly as you have pictured and mount my VKB stick with an extension I have to the "floor" of the wooden cockpit bottom.

Then just like you said remove the stick and boom, it's time to go racing!

Adding some "walls" to the sides would be nice as well to mount my throttles and button boxes better.

2 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

I'm looking to build something simple out of some wood to sit my Obutto Ozone cockpit on top of, so I can do exactly as you have pictured and mount my VKB stick with an extension I have to the "floor" of the wooden cockpit bottom.

Then just like you said remove the stick and boom, it's time to go racing!

Adding some "walls" to the sides would be nice as well to mount my throttles and button boxes better.

Yup! Quick removal of stick would be the key for fast configuration changes. @ciderworm’s idea off toggle clips is really good though, if you mount the stick to a 6x6 piece of 3/4 ply, and secure that plywood to the cockpit base with toggle clips, you don’t even have to remove the grip from the stick base, just undo 4 toggles and the whole thing comes off! 

I agree on the side mount solutions, my biggest problem right now is the throttle mounting location and keyboard.