just nerf the tempest already

they always, ALWAYS get pilot kills in the first burst. If the pilot isnt dead everything that can be on fire is on fire or a broken wing. unrealistic as hell

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jakl said:

well they need to acknowledge that they either need to nerf canons in general or fix their hit reg 

I know what you mean with the instant PKs from the Tempests, however I wouldn't agree with nerfing cannons. Don't forget the tremendous energy and armour piercing capability of the Hispano cannons. The MK108 30mm however, seems to be inaccurate of it's real destructive power as in game it needs multiple hits to down even a fighter, when realistically 1 shell should be enough to completely eviscerate a fuselage or blow a wing apart. Testing in single player these issues becomes apparent, and you can see AI fighters get back to base with multiple MK108 hits through them. 

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

It appears HE in general is overperforming 20mm and below with 30mm + either underperforming or inconsistent.

The tempest has a very dubious flight model but that is well known in the community.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Don't forget the tremendous energy and armour piercing capability of the Hispano cannons

Yes. the 20x110mm M95 AP-T propells a 0.29lbs (131.5g) slug at 2,730feet/s (830m/s) ~ 45kJ kinetic energy trice the amount of the 0.50cal M2 AP.

The 20x110mm M97 HE-I on the other does not have any AP capabilites as it detonates on impact but since beeing equaly heavy it does of have good fragmentation damage, but average blast damage as it only carries 0.012lbs (5,5g) tetryl and has no delay mechanism to have the round detonate inside, but upon impact to take advantage of the the frag damage against soft targets (airplanes, unarmoured vehicle, personal).

Edited by the_emperor
  • Upvote 1

Does a round travelling at 830m/s really require a "delay mechanism"? I would assume the shell is well through the thin aluminium sheet of any WW2 fighter by the time the detonation occurs considering the round even has a jacket. I don't think they want rounds going through and exiting befroe detonation occurs...

6 hours ago, NIK14 said:

Does a round travelling at 830m/s really require a "delay mechanism"? I would assume the shell is well through the thin aluminium sheet of any WW2 fighter by the time the detonation occurs considering the round even has a jacket. I don't think they want rounds going through and exiting befroe detonation occurs

Well that depends, the M97s  fuze is specially designed to be set off on impact on aircraft skin, and is discribed as "instantanious" and "super quick". Some of the blast will surely be directed forward and the round itsel might enter a few centimeters- the damage of the blast will be a hole in the aircraft skin  bent inward.

Compare that to the 20.x82mm mine shell with a delay charge for 20cm - 75cm penetration (depending on the delay charge in use)taking advantage of the blast happening in a confined space. You will have a considerable bigger hole and on both sides of the structue and with the skin bent outwards (18g of HA-41 HE-Incendiary explosive vs 5.5g Tetryl and 2.26g incendiary). But less fragmantation damage potential of the round itself -> thin walled 92g round vs thick walled 131g round.

Different rounds for different targets or different philosophy. The M97 is more of a multipurpose round effectiv against a variety of targets, while the german mineshell is a highly specialized air to air round vs the contemporary air craft design. And the M97 is still deadly against fighter aircraft especialy when it comes in a four pack in a Hawker Tempest and the M95 AP-T is the deadlies 20mm AP you can encounter. both paired with fantastic ballistics due to high velocity, heavy weight and pointed fuze/balistic cap.

Edited by the_emperor
17 hours ago, Jakl said:

they always, ALWAYS get pilot kills in the first burst. If the pilot isnt dead everything that can be on fire is on fire or a broken wing. unrealistic as hell

Finaly someone brave enought to say what is realy the problem with this flying game, chin up and carry on it will be looked up on and fixes come to it when typhoon comes out, we cant have axis players upset.

Untill then dont fly LW airplanes and join USAAF, if you like bombing P-47 is one you should giva a go, youll have a BLAST!

P.S.

4x37mm rounds to take out 109

but problem is 30mm and to good hispanos LOL

Edited by CountZero
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Jakl said:

So I've been doing some textual analysis of this statement and I have some questions. If the pilot is 'always, ALWAYS' killed in the first burst how are pilots surviving to have the plane entirely on fire? It seems to me that the one precludes the other. Second question! If the plane is entirely on fire, is it really all that important that the wing fell off? Last question! Why is it that your description of being shot by a plane with 4 20 mm cannons on board sounds a lot like getting shot by a plane that has 2 13 mm HMG on it?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Assuming this fellow hasn't been on the catching end of the MG151/20 or MK108 

I think HE is over modeled in game personally and the Tempests biggest issue isn't the guns... That's for sure.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Denum said:

Assuming this fellow hasn't been on the catching end of the MG151/20 or MK108 

I think HE is over modeled in game personally and the Tempests biggest issue isn't the guns... That's for sure.

I'm inclined to agree, the Tempest definitely has issues, the hispano cannons are definitely not broken any worse than the German or Soviet counterparts.

- Griff