Developer Diary 277 - Discussion

33 minutes ago, 4SCT_Vespa said:

It would be great to get an Italian pilot...and other italian birds too. MC 200 as first choice .. it was used on russian front

ANR-Macchi-C.200-Saetta-1G386Sa-86-Squad

compared to MC202 (my fav Top 5 plane), this one is a.. uh.. very .. very ugly..  But I suppose there's a charm in it. It's just buried somewhere deep, very very deep.

• 1CGS
1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Any thoughts on more codeless default skins for use with the new tactical numbering system?  P51s with the green wings and upper fuselages for instance?

Everything looking really great Jason.  Drooling for the Spit XIV, and as has been asked for a couple times in the thread, an MC 200 would be a wonderful addition.

Yes this is part of the plan. The blank skins that is.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 1

It's get better every week ! The tactical markings look great, the XIV, 410 and 234 look awesome as well ! It's good to see everything coming together :)

With those markings, the carreer & PCWG really will come to life visualy 🤩

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Yes, we are getting down the end game on this thanks for ICDP and the previous work of BHH. However, I didn't mention it in the DD, but eventually we will change how we include the skins. I want to have more official skins, but the sheer size of them makes building each update more and more difficult and cumbersome. So, we will have to separate them out from the initial install and make an easy process for installing them. And of course you can make a back up so you won't have to download them again once you have them. This will save us lots of man hours during development and initial download size for new users. 

Jason

That is fk’ing awesome!

Very cool. It seems re-working the older models for the newer DM is TON of work. I definitely appreciate that. I did have a question...

Are there any plans in the works to make the P-47s a bit tougher in some areas? ie. a few small caliber rounds into a wing and it's almost unflyable.

Edited by =LD=Strat
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Someone should definitely set up a dogfight server with nothing but 110s, 410s, and Mossies once they’re all available 😄

Should also have the Pe-2? I've had a lot of fun imagining I was in a Pe-3 😄

Also a few Ju-88C for the masochists.

Absolutley gorgeous DD!
Must say that the MC202 skins are probably what I'll be looking forward to the most.... and that is competing with the 410. 
Dang the hype is real for this stuff! :3

Speaking of Buzz Bombs, our V-1 is going to be treated just like an aircraft. It will have a detailed damage model, so you can damage parts of it like the wings, the pulse-jet engine, the warhead (boom!) or if you’re talented enough tip it over with your wing! More on the V-1 as we develop it this summer.  

- Did Jason just tease a flyable V-1?    😉

edf4b3ae9e74c33575fa33a72423dc67.jpg

• Haha 2
Just now, Freycinet said:

Speaking of Buzz Bombs, our V-1 is going to be treated just like an aircraft. It will have a detailed damage model, so you can damage parts of it like the wings, the pulse-jet engine, the warhead (boom!) or if you’re talented enough tip it over with your wing! More on the V-1 as we develop it this summer.  

In my experience, it's never wise to tease thousand pound warheads.

13 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Oh, so it’s wife jokes now.

Oh sure, everyone says they want a bombshell wife, but when it's time to set the fuse they get all upset.

1 hour ago, Freycinet said:

Just curious, is that a wartime photo? The female pilot looks a little too modern. Her hairdo especially. The Germans a bit too chunky for the 1940s.

11 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Just curious, is that a wartime photo? The female pilot looks a little too modern. Her hairdo especially. The Germans a bit too chunky for the 1940s.

IIRC it's from a movie about that famous german test pilot lady

Edit: Hanna Reitsch and movie is Operation Crossbow

Edited by Birdman
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Freycinet said:

Isn't this where someone pops in and utters "Hollywood"? Looks like slim pickens there

Excellent news that the XIV is coming soon, and great to see some of the various options modeled with the clip wings, GGS and both C and E wings... speaking of which I believe the E should have the earlier slim cannon barrel fairings (like those on the C) for 1944 and that the red bars on the canopy should be painted the same as the upper surface colour e.g Dark Green.

That Hornisse looks great, both clean yet kind of vicious... 'waspish' one might say😄

8 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

A lot of 4 letter memes are going to be coming with those visual tactical codes and I look forward to it

;)

Spoiler

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/albums/453-Spitfire/Spitfire_Mk_XIVe_NH870_FU_K_453_Squadron_Gatow_Sept_1945.sized.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Rjel said:

Isn't this where someone pops in and utters "Hollywood"? Looks like slim pickens there

It is indeed, good eye there Rjel. Maybe it was meant to be edited out.

Doodlebug.png

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1CGS

Let me make this crystal clear. Altering any free content we give you to include Nazi symbols or other offensive content and posting it on this forum in any way and for any reason or under any pretext, will not be tolerated and result in a ban determined by us. As our rules state, any such symbols must be obscured.  

See new forum rule #26. 

If people insist on abusing our generosity we will ban you or simply stop doing such nice things.

The free posters I have released are not meant to be altered and are copyrighted material and we reserve all rights. Don't make me get legalistic on such fun things.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You asked

" The Hornisse strikes me as the German response to the Mosquito no? Who do you think would win in a dogfight between a 410 and a Mosquito? Did they ever duel during the war I wonder?"

The answer is yes the 410 and Mosquito did duel during the war, often the Mosquito was the victor. In the history of 85 Squadron (RAF) - West Malling:

Having therefore become fully appreciative of the prowess of the Mosquito, the Germans endeavoured to build a version of their own called the Me410. Nigel Bunting, a Flight Lieutenant, and one of the old guard in the Squadron was the first to make closer acquaintance with the 410. Freddie French was flying as his navigator (Mosquito XII fitted with AI Mk VIII radar) and they were at 20,000 feet over the Straits of Dover when the radar put them on to a raider heading up the East Coast. Within a few minutes, Freddie suddenly got two contacts on the AI (on board radar set), both at a range of three miles, one well below and the other above. Looking down, Nigel saw a red light, but he was too experienced a hand to be drawn. That red light looked altogether too much like bait, and he decided to have a go at the higher, unlighted contact.

Climbing at full power, Nigel began to close in, and when they were still seven thousand feet behind he spotted two bright exhaust flames ahead. They had been at it for fifteen minutes and had climbed to twenty five thousand feet before they were close enough for Nigel to get a really good look at the outline, now clearly silhouetted against the bright glow of the northern sky. There was no mistake about it; there were two engines trailing bright yellow exhaust flames, with the narrow fuselage and the twin barbettes bulging on either side.

Nigel closed in until he was two hundred yards astern, and he worked his gun sight on to the target. Then he hit the slipstream and he was put completely off his aim. He dived to recover, and began to ease up into position again. The Messerschmitt flew on as evenly and steadily as an airliner, and the German gunner had missed his last chance. Nigels second aim was true; and with flames streaming from the fuselage the enemy raider rolled over on its back and dived vertically into the sea five miles east of Felixstowe.

Thus on the night of 13/14 July 1943, 85 Squadron shot down the first Me410 over the British Isles.

The 410 did not always give in so easily! On the night of the 7/8 October 1943 the Germans began intensive night raids on the British mainland using 410s. In 'Phase 3' (2135-2245 hrs) 12 enemy aircraft from Lille made landfall via the Estuary at heights between nine thousand and twenty thousand feet.

Squadron Leader Maguire had a terrific dogfight with an ME410 which was carrying lights. Taking off at 1910 hrs with Captain Lovestad as his operator (radar), Squadron Leader Maguire was ordered to twenty five thousand feet by Wartling station and then vectored on to a bandit flying NW at sixteen thousand feet. Losing height rapidly, Maguire obtained a visual of airborne lights well below on the starboard quarter. Controller warned him that there were two bandits a mile apart in line astern. Pilot lost more height and steadied up behind Bandit at about two thousand feet range when the enemy aircraft took very violent evasive action. The Bandit which was an Me410 was carrying a red light and yellow light on the port and starboard wing tips respectively and a very bright white light on the tail.

A violent dogfight now ensued with the Me410 appearing to make repeated attempted to get on the tail of the Mosquito. After several minutes Maguire managed to get in two bursts and observed strikes on the port side of the fuselage and on the port wing. The Bandit now turned and dived on to a southerly course followed by the Mosquito at about 300mph. Pilot managed to close the range again to about 250-300 yards and fired another burst as the Me410 steadied up and was about to enter cloud at a height of 3,500 feet - further strikes were observed. Maguire and Lovestad landed base at 2155 hrs and at first only claimed a damaged - later stepped up to destroyed by Fighter Command based on sighting of 'burning mass fall through cloud and burn on the water' south of Hastings by separate crew in area of Hastings.

85 Squadron also ate high speed Fw190 raiders for lunch (where Typhoons were not able to catch the hit and run FW190s), Mosquitos were called in to do the job.

Edited by ImaginativeTruth
Typos and grammar fixes
  • Upvote 6
53 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

The free posters I have released are not meant to be altered and are copyrighted material and we reserve all rights. Don't make me get legalistic on such fun things.

Jason

*Screams internally*

If people ruin this before the XIV one comes I'm going to be SO sour.

12 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

and ramp up work on Flying Circus II. We hope to have some pics of the first FCII plane, the Nieuport 28 soon for you,

So it wasn't a dream. Great to finally see some official news on FCII. :biggrin:

Excellent DD Jason, some welcome news on upcoming features and fixes to the sim.

Nice to see the early WIP pics of the Arado and the WIP screens for the new Codes feature.

Wishing you and the Dev team a great weekend.

Billy.