Developer Diary 277 - Discussion

27 minutes ago, Leifr said:

An excellent update, and it is nice to hear that the temporary 109 tail-fix has now been properly looked at and amended.

I thought that the Typhoon may have been closer to release than the Mk XIV, but the latter is just as exciting with that Griffon engine.

No! we're about to fly blue for the month! Hey devs can the update wait a little bit? ūüėĄ

Good update, great to see BON moving forward, the 410 model is lovely and the 4k skins are very welcome.

The beautiful image below of the Macchi skins reminds me to say that I intend to make an Italian pilot for the 202 later this year.

That's good to hear, hope that Italian voices will also be added.

I hope that in the next installment the MC.200 will be included.

:salute:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • 1CGS
57 minutes ago, ww2fighter20 said:

Great Devblog, especially love the posters.

With the Ju88 and Mc202 receiving 4K this means all Battle of Moscow planes will have 4K.

Now it's only an few collector aircraft and an few from Kuban left.

Yes, we are getting down the end game on this thanks for ICDP and the previous work of BHH. However, I didn't mention it in the DD, but eventually we will change how we include the skins. I want to have more official skins, but the sheer size of them makes building each update more and more difficult and cumbersome. So, we will have to separate them out from the initial install and make an easy process for installing them. And of course you can make a back up so you won't have to download them again once you have them. This will save us lots of man hours during development and initial download size for new users. 

Jason

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 11

Thank you for the news! In light of the first appearance of the Arado jet, I would like to add that maybe it's time to add such a premium jet for the right side to the Western Front. Moreover, it has actually been used in combat since the end of ' 44, although to a limited extent.

image.jpeg.e9e173719ce7b73cae7832c8f67621a1.jpeg

Edited by Viktor33_33
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1CGS
4 minutes ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

Is Air Marshall mode still in development?

Yes, but it has not gone all that well. Still hopeful we'll get there this summer.

Jason

• Thanks 13
4 minutes ago, Viktor33_33 said:

Thank you for the news! In light of the first appearance of the Arado jet, I would like to add that maybe it's time to add such a premium jet for the right side to the Western Front. Moreover, it has actually been used in combat since the end of ' 44, although to a limited extent.

image.jpeg.e9e173719ce7b73cae7832c8f67621a1.jpeg

That would be great collector airplane that would fit both BoN and BoBp campaigns as V1 interceptor and as ground attacker, hope they fined room for it to be added. It would not be good performer like YP-80 but it would be atractive to have and fit what is in game.

4 minutes ago, -=No.66=-Griff1999 said:

Is there a DD or set of patch notes where this temporary tail fix was introduced at all, I don't remember seeing it.

Check 4005 update from last april

• Like 2

Wow, that is a great update! Thank you so much @Jason_Williams to also go into details what was wrong with the 109 tail. It is always good to know that in the end, there is no "simple solution" if you want to make things right. This also in context for other vividly discussed topics. Thank you for that! :good:

I really can't wait to see the Spitfire XIV, but honestly, I am most curious for the N28. I am positive that with the current iteration of the Digital Nature engine, you can implement this sweet aircraft as it should be.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, -=No.66=-Griff1999 said:

Is there a DD or set of patch notes where this temporary tail fix was introduced at all, I don't remember seeing it.

4.005 item 41

Edited by VBF-12_KW
  • Upvote 1

Wow, lots of things to unpack! Very generous DD.

Since the tactical codes are coming, would it make sense to have a few "base" skins with no markings but different patterns that can be combined with the custom codes?

Then set the current skins as custom skins?

Loving the models for the Me410 and Arado as well as the news on the Italian pilot, and DM improvements on the Bf109's tail.

Those posters look really well done, great job with the posters and the skins themselves!

Congrats Jason, what a bombshell of a dev diary. 

So many things to look forward to, not matter when you look at IL-2 the future is always bright. I was just wondering, since it's not specified in the WIP pictures. Have you guys decided on which specific version of the Me 410 you guys will create?

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Yes, we are getting down the end game on this thanks for ICDP and the previous work of BHH. However, I didn't mention it in the DD, but eventually we will change how we include the skins. I want to have more official skins, but the sheer size of them makes building each update more and more difficult and cumbersome. So, we will have to separate them out from the initial install and make an easy process for installing them. And of course you can make a back up so you won't have to download them again once you have them. This will save us lots of man hours during development and initial download size for new users. 

Jason

I just saw that comment. The official game could have the "base" unmarked skins only to work with the tactical markings and have the others as separate download.

109 fix!

Maybe more official skins!

Decals and soon the Spitfire!

That's a nice end to the week. 

Think I will have to celebrate with a cigar! 

2 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

A lot of 4 letter memes are going to be coming with those visual tactical codes and I look forward to it

I would hope most simmers aren't that childish. :P

Fantastic DD! It's great to see how close the Spitfire XIV is to release, Me410 model looks great and tactical markings will make for more realistic units in campaigns.

I think it's commendable the way the game keeps improving and old issues gradually getting fixed.

"reminds me to say that I intend to make an Italian pilot for the 202 later this year. Similar to how we made the female Soviet pilot."

I'm hoping that this is a sign! That we will eventually see an Italian theatre, preferably with Serie 5 fighters... G.55, Re.2005, Mc205. This would add more variety to the landscapes that we fly over and bring some of the best Axis fighters of the war. Luftwaffe late war fighters are pretty much all energy fighters whereas the Italian Stallions were agile with nice handling and could dogfight with the likes of the Spitfire VIII

I can't wait till the Spitfire XIV is released with the next update, probably not next week, no?

• Upvote 3

Good update, glad to hear... all of it, really. Especially about the N.28! More WW1 news is always exciting

What variant(s?) of the Me-410 can we expect? There's a whole bunch of kits and sub-models listed online but it's difficult to figure out which actually saw major combat and thus will likely be in sim

I'm not sure what about the Me-410 that appeals to me. It isn't the sleekest looking twin that will be in the sim when it's introduced. It surely wasn't terribly successful in R/L either. I'm not sure I'm all that eager to fly it but I look forward to seeing it in game. The Spitfire isn't my favorite mark either but it will be a blast to try and flip over a few V-1s wingtips with it.    

What a fantastic devlog! So many things to be excited about. Getting to see the 410 take shape was a pleasant surprise, really looking forward to the day when its implemented. Should prove to be a very interesting beast.

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Yes, but it has not gone all that well. Still hopeful we'll get there this summer.

Jason

will it be similar to how SRS is implemented in Servers and with player control?

Any thoughts on more codeless default skins for use with the new tactical numbering system?  P51s with the green wings and upper fuselages for instance?

Everything looking really great Jason.  Drooling for the Spit XIV, and as has been asked for a couple times in the thread, an MC 200 would be a wonderful addition.

3 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I'm not sure what about the Me-410 that appeals to me. It isn't the sleekest looking twin that will be in the sim when it's introduced. It surely wasn't terribly successful in R/L either. I'm not sure I'm all that eager to fly it but I look forward to seeing it in game.  

Yeah, something about the 410 is just so cool.

19 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Darn...I understand. Can't be easy sometimes. But please keep at it! Many of us are looking forward to stuff like this especially in the dynamic campaign servers.

Totally awesome.

Hugs to the Devs and their continued devotion to this sim.  Always content, from all titles being worked on and benefitting from new tech developments.

Big thanks. 

20 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I'm not sure what about the Me-410 that appeals to me. It isn't the sleekest looking twin that will be in the sim when it's introduced. It surely wasn't terribly successful in R/L either. I'm not sure I'm all that eager to fly it but I look forward to seeing it in game. The Spitfire isn't my favorite mark either but it will be a blast to try and flip over a few V-1s wingtips with it.    

The Me410 suffered primarily from the fact it was delivered years too late.  Had it been available in 1942 as a bomber interceptor it would have had far more success.  The fact it entered service just as the Allies were winning air superiority made it far less successful.

Edited by ICDP
  • Upvote 5

Been a while since I flew the 410 in the old game, I had forgot just how elegant it looks, especially so now with this modern rendition, the Arado also looks promising, looking forward to both of these turning up in game.:cool:

109 tail fix, OMG, seems odd talking about something that will fall off as a fix.:lol:  That is particularly welcome, great work guys.;)

Thank you very much for the update, really appreciated.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Great to hear about progress of¬†the new planes.¬†Spit XIV looks ready for me...¬†¬†ūü§§

And Me 410 & Ar 234 will give a lot of variety for late war blue ground attack missions :good: