[Starting a new thread for all the up coming strategic bombing over the occupied territories and Germany itself.]

[80 years ago today] "The industrial centre at Kiel was also heavily and successfully attacked, eighteen tons of H.E. being dropped. Hanover was bombed by Blenheims and, in addition to some large fires, three terrific green explosions were seen by aircraft returning from Berlin. With the exception of one medium bomber, all our aircraft returned from these operations

On the 23rd/24th, 127 bombers were despatched; the largest number employed on any one night during the week. Of these, forty-eight attacked Berlin, the target being the inland port near Putlitzstrasse Station. A number of heavy bombs were dropped, together with over 10,000 incendiaries.

Several fires were started and bursts were observed, but cloud and thick haze were encountered over the target, which, combined with the heavy A.A. fire and searchlight glare, made it difficult to estimate results accurately.

The industrial centre at Kiel was also heavily and successfully attacked, eighteen tons of H.E. being dropped. Hanover was bombed by Blenheims and, in addition to some large fires, three terrific green explosions were seen by aircraft returning from Berlin. With the exception of one medium bomber, all our aircraft returned from these operations.

41-03-23-Berlin-raid-595x578.jpg.1582fccb00bb157bea487c3d5695d602.jpg

Vertical night aerial photograph taken during a raid on Berlin, showing bombs exploding in the vicinity of the central cattle-market and railway yard (middle right), east of the city centre. The broad wavy lines are the tracks of German searchlights and anti-aircraft fire can also be seen. Also illuminated by the flash-bomb in the lower half of the photograph are the Friedrichshain gardens and sports stadium, St Georgs Kirchhof and Balten Platz. A mixed force of 49 aircraft took part in the raid, of which 5 were lost.

Berlin-bombed.jpg

An evaluation photograph of the bombing of Berlin. The RAF were not yet capable of matching the levels of destruction being delivered by the Luftwaffe on Britain.

• Like 4
On 3/23/2021 at 12:15 PM, cardboard_killer said:

An evaluation photograph of the bombing of Berlin. The RAF were not yet capable of matching the levels of destruction being delivered by the Luftwaffe on Britain.

For the casual reader: North is down in this image.

The prominet road at the top is "Unter den Linden" with Brandenburger Tor just north of the "3".

The railway-station in the center is Friedrichstraße. The Reichstag is at the mid right-hand edge, farther north from "3".

"3" is today's US embassy.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

[80 years ago today] "• A Gallup Poll shows that the people of Great Britain favour reprisal bombings of civilian areas of Germany by 53% to 38%, with 9% undecided. People in heavily blitzed areas are noticeably less in favour of reprisal bombing than those in areas which have escaped the worst of the raids. "

• Like 1
On 5/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, cardboard_killer said:

[80 years ago today] "• A Gallup Poll shows that the people of Great Britain favour reprisal bombings of civilian areas of Germany by 53% to 38%, with 9% undecided. People in heavily blitzed areas are noticeably less in favour of reprisal bombing than those in areas which have escaped the worst of the raids. "

This tells long tales about the compassion of those who lived through the hardship of bombings and those who didn't have first hand experience.  

21 minutes ago, sturmkraehe said:

This tells long tales about the compassion of those who lived through the hardship of bombings and those who didn't have first hand experience.  

Perhaps. No comparable poll is available for how the Germans felt in 1943-45, but I think there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that the majority opinion was pro-reprisal bombing. The Nazi government certainly thought so, hence the wasted resources bombing England and then the V-1/V-2 programs; but perhaps that was a self-fulfilling prophecy for the government--their propaganda led the people to want what the government already thought they wanted.

11 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

Perhaps. No comparable poll is available for how the Germans felt in 1943-45, but I think there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that the majority opinion was pro-reprisal bombing. The Nazi government certainly thought so, hence the wasted resources bombing England and then the V-1/V-2 programs; but perhaps that was a self-fulfilling prophecy for the government--their propaganda led the people to want what the government already thought they wanted.

Maybe you're right. I don't know and I am not sure if there is any historian that took a deeper look into this.

For sure Nazi-Germanry was a dictatorship while Britain was already a democracy. As such, there had been much less possibility to express one's opinion freely in Germany although the Nazi leadership made some effort to obtain public approval - by intimidation, manipulation or populistic measures as far as I understand. 

My reply was more related to my general observation that those who have own experience of suffering are usually less prone to wish this to others and I believe this holds true for many folks around the world. It is mostly observants who are mostly filled with feelings of revenge. Obviously this is not to be generalized to any individual.