Some features that are desperately needed in Tank Crew as soon as practically possible.

Let me start off by saying that tank crew is really cool and has a lot of potential. The general modeling of the tank handling with the extremely well done tank interiors and exploration of the ergonomics and systems of the different tanks is really great.

However now that the game is released there are some extremely frustrating aspects I really hope the developers will address as the soonest possible time. These are major quality of life problems that really take much of the steam out of game.

-The inability to leave the hatch open and move seamlessly from inside the tank using the periscope or cupola, to being outside using the binoculars.

-There seems to be no way to move to a specific crew member, as opposed to cycling between crew members.

-Binoculars should be usable from inside the tanks while looking through periscopes or cupola windows so long as the tank in question has sufficient space.

-There needs to be a better tank command interface. The ability to order different platoons around, and the ability to give tanks in platoons complex orders vie way points etc. This should be doable from the map, and from the 3D world, depending on the orders being given. Right now the platoon commands leave much to be desired.

-Better crew commands. In general this is overly cumbersome and needs to be greatly streamlined. Ability to tell gunner to keep turret at a specific position. Ability to tell gunner to aim at a particular portion of a tank, such as the side if target is at an angle, or at the turret (if not specified, center mass). The drivers ability to follow movement orders being seemingly tied to the autopilot toggle is really bad. It should be possible to issue orders to driver via the map, clicking on places, etc. It should be possible to set a cruise control speed without the autopilot being on and without having to have a throttle mapped. 

-All controls used by tanks consolidated into tank controls menu.

-Ability to move the quick battle to a different location at least on the prokorovka map. As well as maybe being able to customize it a bit more

-The vertical stabilizer on the Sherman does not seem to work

Edited by LColony_Red_Comet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Direct access to each position is possible.

Right Shift 0 is Driver

Right Shift 1 is Gunner

Right Shift 2 is Commander

Right Shift 3 is Radioman

I have mine mapped to a 4-way switch on my HOTAS so I can change positions in an instant.

• Upvote 2
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, MajorMagee said:

Direct access to each position is possible.

Right Shift 0 is Driver

Right Shift 1 is Gunner

Right Shift 2 is Commander

Right Shift 3 is Radioman

I have mine mapped to a 4-way switch on my HOTAS so I can change positions in an instant.

My mistake on that one then.

Edited by LColony_Red_Comet
5 hours ago, LColony_Red_Comet said:

Let me start off by saying that tank crew is really cool and has a lot of potential. The general modeling of the tank handling with the extremely well done tank interiors and exploration of the ergonomics and systems of the different tanks is really great.

However now that the game is released there are some extremely frustrating aspects I really hope the developers will address as the soonest possible time. These are major quality of life problems that really take much of the steam out of game.

-The inability to leave the hatch open and move seamlessly from inside the tank using the periscope or cupola, to being outside using the binoculars.

-There seems to be no way to move to a specific crew member, as opposed to cycling between crew members.

-Binoculars should be usable from inside the tanks while looking through periscopes or cupola windows so long as the tank in question has sufficient space.

-There needs to be a better tank command interface. The ability to order different platoons around, and the ability to give tanks in platoons complex orders vie way points etc. This should be doable from the map, and from the 3D world, depending on the orders being given. Right now the platoon commands leave much to be desired.

-Better crew commands. In general this is overly cumbersome and needs to be greatly streamlined. Ability to tell gunner to keep turret at a specific position. Ability to tell gunner to aim at a particular portion of a tank, such as the side if target is at an angle, or at the turret (if not specified, center mass). The drivers ability to follow movement orders being seemingly tied to the autopilot toggle is really bad. It should be possible to issue orders to driver via the map, clicking on places, etc. It should be possible to set a cruise control speed without the autopilot being on and without having to have a throttle mapped. 

-All controls used by tanks consolidated into tank controls menu.

-Ability to move the quick battle to a different location at least on the prokorovka map. As well as maybe being able to customize it a bit more

-The vertical stabilizer on the Sherman does not seem to work

Regarding switching between crew positions, we were also suppose to be able to use LtSHIFT + C to go between just the main gun and bow gun, but this hasn't been modeled yet.

Giving your driver commands by using the map is already in the game. After you hit Tilde, click anywhere on the map with the left mouse button to bring up a secondary command menu. What worked well for me regarding the command menu, was to learn not to over use it, and to memorize the key press sequences to the commands most used. I have copied the command menu into tables for reference if you find that sort of thing useful.

IL2 Tanik Crew Command sequences.pdf 2.zip

I would be happy if tree shadows were visible on the top of the turret when commander is in open hatch mode.  These shadows are already on the tank in F2 view and thus just need to be coded into the open hatch view code.

Also tank engines need to be louder.  I've had tanks pass through an open field 500m away with no noise whatsoever.  This is not realistic, tank engines can me heard for miles.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, LColony_Red_Comet said:

Binoculars should be allowed to be used  from inside the tank  when the tank has a commanders cupola, absolutely,  that's the purpose of the cupola, enhanced visibility.  I don't think you could use them while looking through a periscope  however.

🤘

Also some scissor binoculars for the Ferdinand hatch can be very handy 🙏

Edited by Fercyful
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I would like to see a "high" and "low" position for the Tank Commanders when their hatch is open. Right now they stand "high" like they are in a parade, and that would be suicide on any active battlefield. The TC's should also have a heads out only position.

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Really surprised no one in this thread has mentioned invisible trees bug.  That is one of the worst bugs I have dealt with.

Because it is not a feature. Btw. you should report every single position of that tree. They will fix it. As developer said it is impossibile to fix this problem automaticaly. The need to do it manually, tree by tree and we have to report them.

10 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

Because it is not a feature. Btw. you should report every single position of that tree. They will fix it. As developer said it is impossibile to fix this problem automaticaly. The need to do it manually, tree by tree and we have to report them.

And that's simply unattainable and absurd nor my responsibility.

They need to check into the presets they're using to generate forest coverage and remove the invisible placeholders that their system is copy/pasting everywhere.

13 hours ago, randybutternubs said:

And that's simply unattainable and absurd nor my responsibility.

They need to check into the presets they're using to generate forest coverage and remove the invisible placeholders that their system is copy/pasting everywhere.

Yeah, but that would mean to rebuild the map new and replace the placeholders. Search in the forum, you find many threads about this.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:10 PM, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

I would be happy if tree shadows were visible on the top of the turret when commander is in open hatch mode.  These shadows are already on the tank in F2 view and thus just need to be coded into the open hatch view code.

Also tank engines need to be louder.  I've had tanks pass through an open field 500m away with no noise whatsoever.  This is not realistic, tank engines can me heard for miles.

Have you worn the ear protection they do in the tanks? They could hear each other over the noise. I like the noise as it is now, "as in helmet like DCS".
In tanker interviews I have listened to it's not as loud as you think inside. But they were more modern tanks.

A small thing that I would like to see in the su-122 and 152 is the ability to uncouple the panoramic sight from gun elevation. In the 152 when you are not turned out they are separate, so you can adjust gunsight elevation, which moves one of the big levers left of the gun, then raise the gun to match, which is useful for artillery. If you unbutton however, the pano gunsight is matched to the gun and you can no longer do this, and need to aim it at the horizon to hit at X range, so currently I tend to adjust my artillery fire by lowering the gun and using the regular sight, then raising it again. I hope that makes sense

• Upvote 1
On 4/1/2021 at 6:34 AM, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

yes we had noise cancelling headphones that also allowed direct crew communications.  but I think you are talking about WW2?  But my point was more about outside of tank, distant tank engine noises.

I know it was not quiet inside tanks in ww2, but they did have mics and ear muffs on presumably that allowed them to hear. My problem is that some sims (and movies) over do the sound for dramatic effect. My ears cannot handle a lot of sound as I have a bit of industrial deafness. More white noise just makes it harder for me to make things out and more likely for me not to play the game. It's the reason I do not play the air version of this game. I cannot handle the high pitched aircraft engine noises drowning everything out while trying to hear everything else through it, gives me tinnitus.