Consensus on Ram and VR performance

J5_HellCat_

I'm running 32gigs of DDR4 2400 and thinking of upgrading to 3200 or 3600 .... Think I'll see much of a difference? Rig in the sig.

chiliwili69

In the past we were measuring that with the Remagen tests, and we obtain a gain of 1.6fps for each 100MHz of RAM. This was for monitor. For VR perhaps divide it by two.

So if you go from 2400 to 3600 you will get 12*1.6*0.5=+9.6 fps.  But this is not an exact science, the gain might not be linear beyond a threshold.

If you look at this table, you will see that Hartigan went from 3000 to 3600 and gained only 4 fps on monitor (but he decreased also CPU clock).

Voxman went from 2100 to 4400 and gained 8 fps on monitor. But the benchmark is different (the gain depend on the benchmark).

So, upgrading RAM helps but do not do miracles.

• Thanks 1
Dutch2
9 hours ago, J5_HellCat_ said:

Thanks!

Why not try to overclock your RAM first before buying other, this one that was being published at an simrace forum can be helpfull https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md

I have experience in CPU and Vcard overclocking but at the RAM overclocking I’m learning. In my case I try to view the Buildzoid Youtube videos because he is using the same motherboard as I have. 

https://m.youtube.com/c/ActuallyHardcoreOverclocking/videos

• Thanks 1
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

It depends:

With your Intel CPU chiliwili's answer is correct.

For the AMD Ryzen 5xxx crowd, the story would play out differently.

• Thanks 1
chiliwili69
9 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

With your Intel CPU chiliwili's answer is correct.

For the AMD Ryzen 5xxx crowd, the story would play out differently.

Yes, those gains were based in intel CPU tests mostly. The correlation was calculated with Remagen test.

With Ryzen5xxx the trick is to run FCLK, MCLK, UCLK at the same freq and lower latencies. But here it is more a questions of adjusting latencies and all those parameters...

The good thing is that just out-the-box Ryzen 5xxx with just xmp profiles runs very well.

30speed
22 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

With Ryzen5xxx the trick is to run FCLK, MCLK, UCLK at the same freq and lower latencies

do you possibly know where this information can be found?

I have the "MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi" mobo and the F4-3600C16D-32GTZN (G.SKILL Trident Z Neo) and I have no idea how to "tighten up" the latency. All of the oc' and hw forums are filled with the pro's and their opinions without offering any actual guides on how to achieve anything. I'm just running the memory with the XMP profile, and my single attempt at modifying the SOC voltage and couple of other parameters ended up in no POST and a Bios re-flash.. 😄

chiliwili69
2 hours ago, 30speed said:

take alook of this:

but it is something I have not followed, since I am OK with my current performance.

3 hours ago, 30speed said:

take alook of this:

but it is something I have not followed, since I am OK with my current performance.

Aslo this one:

30speed
6 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

take alook of this:

take alook of this:

Aslo this one:

thank you, @chiliwili69, I appreciate it.