Got my new pedals installed, however now I need to come up with solution to keep the Crosswinds in place. Previously I had them mounted to just the base of a wheel stand pro, but I think the pedals would be a bit high for heels on floor leaving the Crosswinds mounted to it.

Have to head out for a while, will try and get something figured out for flying tomorrow.

aHRJx0A.jpg

Edited by dburne

Here's my home-made solution.

IMG_20210329_121213842_HDR.jpgedit- in case it's not clear, the floor is wood. Only the two strips of plywood are bolted to the Crosswinds, then those are attached to another strip of plywood that buts up against the trim at the wall.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the pic much appreciated.

I think my wife just came up with the quickest and easiest solution.

A piece of ceramic tile which was about perfect to position between front of the pedals frame and back of my desk frame.

I ordered from MFG the damper mod kit plus also a new "soft" spring. I think I may like the softer spring a little better also.

Anyways should at least get some good time in with just the new combat pedals tomorrow.

UIXjvqW.jpg

6 hours ago, dburne said:

Got my new pedals installed, however now I need to come up with solution to keep the Crosswinds in place. Previously I had them mounted to just the base of a wheel stand pro, but I think the pedals would be a bit high for heels on floor leaving the Crosswinds mounted to it.

Have to head out for a while, will try and get something figured out for flying tomorrow.

aHRJx0A.jpg

If you want, I will send you my combat pedal mod package. See if you can use mine with heel-on-the-floor style without support. Adjustable 2" in height and 2" in width. Braking force adjustable 100% - 20%.

My only intent is to spread awareness of the product, before it becomes publicly available straight from the MFG store, and fix any issues before that. Which is why the mod had 30 testers, for 6 months, who reported their issues publicly on this forum and the other, in my development threads. And now has 120 customers in the last 3 months, without any problems or further modifications needed.

DM me your address and they'll be on your way, priority tracked airmail, the next day. Free and no strings attached.

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, hegykc said:

If you want, I will send you my combat pedal mod package. See if you can use mine with heel-on-the-floor style without support. Adjustable 2" in height and 2" in width. Braking force adjustable 100% - 20%.

My only intent is to spread awareness of the product, before it becomes publicly available straight from the MFG store, and fix any issues before that. Which is why the mod had 30 testers, for 6 months, who reported their issues publicly on this forum and the other, in my development threads. And now has 120 customers in the last 3 months, without any problems or further modifications needed.

DM me your address and they'll be on your way, priority tracked airmail, the next day. Free and no strings attached.

Ok message sent.

Thanks,

Originally I had mine set up like unlikely_spider's but ended up mounting it to a piece of 1" plywood that was maybe 2' square right up against the wall. It's on carpet and that thick plywood has enough heft to it to stop the peds from shifting around. The damper mod makes for a smoother but also a bit heavier action so some sort of more stable mounting is probably a good idea 

44 minutes ago, Drano said:

Originally I had mine set up like unlikely_spider's but ended up mounting it to a piece of 1" plywood that was maybe 2' square right up against the wall. It's on carpet and that thick plywood has enough heft to it to stop the peds from shifting around. The damper mod makes for a smoother but also a bit heavier action so some sort of more stable mounting is probably a good idea 

Yeah thanks, will be interesting to see how I do with the new damper when it gets here.

It is an ongoing work in progress.

Oh I like those! A bit pricey but I will take it to MFG Milan, he can probably import them in the 1000's and include them with the pedals stock.

If you're on wooden/flat floor, you could also stick a couple of these on the floor, to make an outline of the back of MFGs, so they sit against the rubber pads:

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Self-Adhesive-Rubber-Furniture12mmx12mmx6mm/dp/B00H8UTNY4/ref=sr_1_49?dchild=1&keywords=self+adhesive+rubber&qid=1617106944&sr=8-49

511wYnN8MEL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Edited by hegykc
1 hour ago, hegykc said:

Oh I like those! A bit pricey but I will take it to MFG Milan, he can probably import them in the 1000's and include them with the pedals stock.

If you're on wooden/flat floor, you could also stick a couple of these on the floor, to make an outline of the back of MFGs, so they sit against the rubber pads:

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Self-Adhesive-Rubber-Furniture12mmx12mmx6mm/dp/B00H8UTNY4/ref=sr_1_49?dchild=1&keywords=self+adhesive+rubber&qid=1617106944&sr=8-49

511wYnN8MEL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

That may be the best thing for me, will see how these ceramic tiles I have between pedals and back of my desk work out.

I think my bigger problem right now is my gaming chair wheels rotating.

Edited by dburne

There are "locking casters" for office/gaming chairs, search for them on Amazon. You would need to pull out one of your wheels and measure the stem diameter. You don't even need 6 of them, 3 will do or even 2:

https://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-9406-Diameter-Capacity/dp/B001HYY0L8/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=locking+casters&qid=1617111369&sr=8-31

61ABUqYuxiL._AC_SL1198_.jpg

Edited by hegykc
  • Upvote 1

Yes, lockable wheels are an essential part of my setup. I replaced my normal office chair wheels with this kind. They are perfect. I only have to lock two of them and my chair isn't going anywhere.

Screenshot_20210330-103604.png

On 3/30/2021 at 10:37 AM, unlikely_spider said:

Yes, lockable wheels are an essential part of my setup. I replaced my normal office chair wheels with this kind. They are perfect. I only have to lock two of them and my chair isn't going anywhere.

Screenshot_20210330-103604.png

I bought these same ones I think, only issue is sometimes the lock is a little stiff, awkward to do/undo. But they are strong enough that you only need to really lock 1 or two wheels and the seat is basically rock solid.

OK I got a set of 2.5" dia. lockable caster wheels on order from Amazon, should be here Friday.

Hopefully these will fit my AK Racing gaming chair and do the trick for what I need.

I just got a set that look a lot like unlikely_spider's. Will pop them on later and see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, dburne said:

OK I got a set of 2.5" dia. lockable caster wheels on order from Amazon, should be here Friday.

Hopefully these will fit my AK Racing gaming chair and do the trick for what I need.

They're all pretty much a universal fit with any chair, so you should be good. The only reason I don't use them on my gaming chair is because our carpet is thick enough to keep the chair from moving when press on the pedals. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, LukeFF said:

They're all pretty much a universal fit with any chair, so you should be good. The only reason I don't use them on my gaming chair is because our carpet is thick enough to keep the chair from moving when press on the pedals. 

Yeah my gaming office is in garage, so am on a concrete floor. I definitely need these wheels to be able to lock. Will make things so much simpler.

The set I got definitely works. Two wheels locked is quite sufficient! You're going nowhere. I'm on an office pad over carpet.

14 minutes ago, Drano said:

The set I got definitely works. Two wheels locked is quite sufficient! You're going nowhere. I'm on an office pad over carpet.

Good to know, this is going to really help me on using these pedals. They are due to arrive tomorrow so will have them for a full day of flying on Saturday.

It will be interesting to see how long these dampers stay in good repair ie,  seals stay in good shape and do not allow oil leakage. We will all find out

in a while I reckon. Hope this does not sound like a " Debbie downer "  post, just having to do all round repairs for my family, it is now kinda like instinct when

I see something new and cool to analyze the probability of breakage. ( hmmm, maybe I am a " Debbie downer " in that respect------ dammit !!!!!! 😄  

I gotta tell ya I was thinking the same thing regarding the brake pedal dampers. One dying could be a sloppy mess under the desk! They're just mostly plastic RC dampers after all. The good news is they won't get the kind of abuse they'd normally get outside jumping over rocks and stuff! Not like you're gonna be stomping on the brakes like that--I hope. If I notice at some point that one is leaking, that'll be the time to take them off. The center large damper is really where it's at. I don't imagine that one having a catastrophic failure, again given the kind of use we'd put on it vs it's actual purpose. The other ones on the brakes are just a neato addition. They do work tho.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Drano said:

I gotta tell ya I was thinking the same thing regarding the brake pedal dampers. One dying could be a sloppy mess under the desk! They're just mostly plastic RC dampers after all. The good news is they won't get the kind of abuse they'd normally get outside jumping over rocks and stuff! Not like you're gonna be stomping on the brakes like that--I hope. If I notice at some point that one is leaking, that'll be the time to take them off. The center large damper is really where it's at. I don't imagine that one having a catastrophic failure, again given the kind of use we'd put on it vs it's actual purpose. The other ones on the brakes are just a neato addition. They do work tho.

I actually was joking with my squad mates that with the installation of these " oil filled dampers " , we are heading toward actually having to do a preflight even for our sim set-up---- ha !!!! Jokingly, as an example, before flying get down and check for any oil ( hydraulic ) leaks around the pedals. Heck, maybe we should install hydraulic pressure gauges  and low oil warning lights on these--- ha !!! We will have to have these serviced every 100 hours of sim flying by licensed sim mechanic. Who knows, where all this will lead-----------  Maybe we are going to see something like a SAA ( Simulation Aviation Administration ) as in FAA ( Federal Aviation Administration )---  😬

Edited by WWSoarfeat
edit

Woohoo got notification my Damper Kit from MFG will be delivered later today.

Also my new Caster Wheels with locking mechanism for my gaming chair will be here later today, which should solve my chair wanting to roll around all the time when depressing the new footrests.

Should get some good testing in with them tomorrow.

Ahhh locking caster wheels are here, just attached them and working beautifully! 

Now I can use rudder pedals easily with no movement. And unlock them when I not flying for easy movement around.

Now just waiting for my Damper Mod Kit from MFG.

On 3/24/2021 at 4:57 AM, hegykc said:

In a real plane, rudder pedals are chunks of metal, there are rods and linkages, steel cables, counter-weights and what not. Dozens of kg of weight to move around. Damper kit provides a feeling of that weight.

Just got this installed and really like that "feeling of that weight" that you describe.  Thank you!! :salute:

I also appreciate @Drano emphasizing the point here that it really does make Milan's fantastic product even better.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dburne said:

Loving this Damper Mod for the Crosswinds!

Took them to even a higher level than they already were.

Had to order just beacuse of You, dburne 😄

Edited by SvAF/F16_Goblin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:02 PM, BladeMeister said:

I have had my Crosswinds for 4 years? I think?? I ordered the extra cams and they are sitting on my desk just as pristine and new as the day Milan manufactuered them, LOL. Honestly after assembly and fiddling with my Crosswinds for maybe 20 minutes including installing the software, I have never changed them once since then. They are the single most high quality piece of kit that I own next to my TIR5. I simply LOVE them for sim flying. I cannot recommend them or Milan's excellent support enough. Just pull the trigger. You will not be disappointed I guarantee. I have never once read a complaint against MFG Crosswinds or Milan.

S!Blade<><

On 3/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, BladeMeister said:

I can't understand why the Crosswinds need any modification other than possibly replacing the foot rests with heelless foot rests because of preference. Why would one need a motorcycle damper? I can't fathom what this could possibly do to make the feel of the Crosswinds any better? Of course I am older, already love my crosswinds and don't care for change when I am comfortable with something, so what do I know. I do know that I Love my Crosswinds with no modification and very little adjustment in the software. They just feel very comparable to the rudder pedals that were in the 1941 Stearman that I flew in on an Aerobatic outing a few years back. To each their own, but MFG Crosswinds are still King of the hill to me.:clapping:

S!Blade<><

On 3/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, BladeMeister said:

Will do, TY dburne. I am going to order that damn damper tonight and it better work good or I am going to come back on this thread and BITCH!!!:rofl:

S!Blade<><

On 3/26/2021 at 12:20 AM, BladeMeister said:

Ordered. I don't see how one can make Crosswinds any better, but I will be an impartial judge as to whether this damper actually makes them better. I would love to be proved wrong, but we will see soon enough.:popcorm:

S!Blade<><

Ok, I have had the damper on for 2 weeks and I do have to eat my words above.  It does add to the immersion by taking away the instant spring back of the original setup. For me it honestly does provide a more precise use of my Crosswinds by allowing me to actually work the rudder pedals back and forth, rather than just learn to react to the return spring force. The old way one is just trying to judge how much pressure to let off the pedal you have been pushing while finding the correct Yaw to accurately point your nose in a turn or when lining up an A2A shot, strafing or a bombing run. With the damper on on I am still applying pressure with both feet and for lack of better words, 'steering the pedals where I want to go. The spring pressure is still there but it reacts way slower giving me the chance to, once again, steer rather than try to react to the return spring. This up grade is well worth it IMHO. Of course Milan had them well packaged and sent to me in the USA in less than 10 days I think? Great service as always. Thanks Milan!

On another note, I have had 'Cam 6' installed since purchase(and been quite HAPPY with it) and have just now changed to 'Cam 5'. Instantly I notice that I am not able to judge centering the rudder pedals as easy as with 'Cam 6'. To me this is not a good start and I verified this by using the MFG software to test this. I blindly moved the pedals back and forth a few times and tried to center to the best of my ability and I was off center anywhere from 4 - 7 % if I am not very careful and actually look at the pedals, which i would never do in combat. I am going to give it a couple of weeks but I suspect I will change back to 'Cam 6' by then. Not that I am that great of a Sim pilot, but flying around with my rudder that much off center is going to cost me speed. I don't need to handicap myself any more than I might already be.

S!Blade<><

• Like 1

Another gamer converted to flying like a real man! :)

Kidding aside, when adding the damper, you are greatly reducing the spring strength. Because the damper fights back against the spring, it does not add to it. So if you want to retain the same amount of centering force you need to increase the spring strength by turning the adjustment wheel up.

If your pedals are not bolted down, or do not sit against the wall, that might not really be possible. But it is not the cam's fault.

Me personally, I hate 'Cam 6' because of it's hard center detent, which is not a thing on real aircraft. But I do have the luxury of flying in a simrig, and my pedals are bolted down. So I have the damper cranked up to 30-50%, and my spring to 100% (and would like more!), and Cam 5 with no center detent.

So each person has to try out and decide which combination works for him, not only depending on how much realism he wants, but also what his simming space allows him.

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

Ok, I have had the damper on for 2 weeks and I do have to eat my words above.  It does add to the immersion by taking away the instant spring back of the original setup. For me it honestly does provide a more precise use of my Crosswinds by allowing me to actually work the rudder pedals back and forth, rather than just learn to react to the return spring force. The old way one is just trying to judge how much pressure to let off the pedal you have been pushing while finding the correct Yaw to accurately point your nose in a turn or when lining up an A2A shot, strafing or a bombing run. With the damper on on I am still applying pressure with both feet and for lack of better words, 'steering the pedals where I want to go. The spring pressure is still there but it reacts way slower giving me the chance to, once again, steer rather than try to react to the return spring. This up grade is well worth it IMHO. Of course Milan had them well packaged and sent to me in the USA in less than 10 days I think? Great service as always. Thanks Milan!

On another note, I have had 'Cam 6' installed since purchase(and been quite HAPPY with it) and have just now changed to 'Cam 5'. Instantly I notice that I am not able to judge centering the rudder pedals as easy as with 'Cam 6'. To me this is not a good start and I verified this by using the MFG software to test this. I blindly moved the pedals back and forth a few times and tried to center to the best of my ability and I was off center anywhere from 4 - 7 % if I am not very careful and actually look at the pedals, which i would never do in combat. I am going to give it a couple of weeks but I suspect I will change back to 'Cam 6' by then. Not that I am that great of a Sim pilot, but flying around with my rudder that much off center is going to cost me speed. I don't need to handicap myself any more than I might already be.

S!Blade<><

👍

Yeah it really is a game changer for the Crosswind Pedals.

I too at first was like how in the world can anything make these great pedals even better.

I was amazed by how much it did.

@hegykc Before adding the damper I'd switched to the lighter spring. Like you after adding the damper I felt it needed more force and went to the stronger spring cranked up pretty tight. Feels really nice now. 

@dburne Right? Wouldn't have thought it possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

Again one happy customer here😀

I had CH pedals years ago and then did flying quite long period with twist handle joysticks. Encouraged by positive feedback I purchase MFG Crosswind pedals.

I have been happy after that. Delivery within a week and best pedals that I have had and cannot dream a better ones. 

Outlook and quality is top notch. It is well above "other plastic toys" controllers. No issues in configuring and the feel in standard spring is great for me 

At the same time I got also Kanttorin Kone Jabo-console and together these gadgets have raised my VR Il-2 experience to a next level. Cannot praise more. You need to test and feel it.

:salute: JLean 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JLean said:

Again one happy customer here😀

I had CH pedals years ago and then did flying quite long period with twist handle joysticks. Encouraged by positive feedback I purchase MFG Crosswind pedals.

I have been happy after that. Delivery within a week and best pedals that I have had and cannot dream a better ones. 

Outlook and quality is top notch. It is well above "other plastic toys" controllers. No issues in configuring and the feel in standard spring is great for me 

At the same time I got also Kanttorin Kone Jabo-console and together these gadgets have raised my VR Il-2 experience to a next level. Cannot praise more. You need to test and feel it.

:salute: JLean 

👍

Congrats! Great pedals for sure!!