Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

 

The damper real utility is allow use the pedal without the spring, for fly helicopters, allowing set the pedal in position.

 

Actually it's meant for airplanes first. Helicopters second.

 

14 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

I can't understand why the Crosswinds need any modification other than possibly replacing the foot rests with heelless foot rests because of preference. Why would one need a motorcycle damper? I can't fathom what this could possibly do to make the feel of the Crosswinds any better? Of course I am older, already love my crosswinds and don't care for change when I am comfortable with something, so what do I know. I do know that I Love my Crosswinds with no modification and very little adjustment in the software. They just feel very comparable to the rudder pedals that were in the 1941 Stearman that I flew in on an Aerobatic outing a few years back. To each their own, but MFG Crosswinds are still King of the hill to me.:clapping:

 

S!Blade<><

 

Our MFGs are very light. When you move them, you move 1kg of weight around completely effortlessly. In a real plane, rudder pedals are chunks of metal, there are rods and linkages, steel cables, counter-weights and what not. Dozens of kg of weight to move around. Damper kit provides a feeling of that weight.

 

Without the damper, you are flying a wireless toy, a drone. Your MFGs are completely disconnected from the 15,000 lbs war machine on your monitor/VR goggles.

When you put the damper on, it makes them heavy and super smooth. You are no longer controlling a wireless toy drone, but a real gigantic war machine.

 

Plenty have asked why would I need it. But I can tell you, not a single one who's tried it, has taken it off. Once you go MFG, you don't go back. And once you go damper-on, you don't go back.

 

Slaw device has a damper, VKB bases have dampers, throttles have friction-damping... and now all new MGFs will have damping option. Pretty soon there won't be a high-end device without some kind of damping because it brings another level of realism for non-ffb devices.

 

Here's a visual demonstration of a non-dampened control vs a dampened one. MFGs will do the same thing with without a damper:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hegykc said:

 

and now all new MGFs will have damping option...

 

 

 

MFG web page being updated tomorrow with details apparently.

 

I thought my MFGs were perfect but if they can be improved....

 

von Tom

 

Edit:  Can be retrofitted to older pedals too.

Edited by von_Tom
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't confuse the damper with a 15000lb spring. It doesn't work that way at all. You can literally open and close the thing with your hand. It just smooths the rate at which you can do it. Trust me, it's an improvement. I didn't think they could be improved either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Drano said:

Don't confuse the damper with a 15000lb spring. It doesn't work that way at all. You can literally open and close the thing with your hand. It just smooths the rate at which you can do it. Trust me, it's an improvement. I didn't think they could be improved either. 

 

Hmm might be tempting.

Fairly easy to install on existing Crosswinds?

Link to post
Share on other sites

And yes I agree that Milan is a guy that takes pride in his work. It shows in his service. He'll respond directly to any question very quickly. Pretty rare thing these days. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

I will keep controlling my 'wireless toy drone' thank you. They work just fine for me. If I want a leg workout I will hit the gym.😁

 

S!Blade<><

 

It doesn't add any extra force, on the contrary, it fights back against the spring. You can say the same for MFGs if you have plastic Saitek rudder pedals: why would you need MFGs, the old ones work just fine... But you did get the MFGs :). It's the same with a damper. No, you don't need it. But once you put it on, you will never fly without it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Hmm might be tempting.

Fairly easy to install on existing Crosswinds?

Oh yeah, super easy. All the parts and hardware are included, less the dampers themselves. Here's a how to vid. 

 

 

6 minutes ago, hegykc said:

 No, you don't need it. But once you put it on, you will never fly without it.

Yeah I don't see myself ever taking this off now. Great job, Hegykc! 

 

But if by some twist of fate I wanted to, it's a simple bolt-on kit that's completely reversible. 

Edited by Drano
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

II

1 hour ago, hegykc said:

 

It doesn't add any extra force, on the contrary, it fights back against the spring. You can say the same for MFGs if you have plastic Saitek rudder pedals: why would you need MFGs, the old ones work just fine... But you did get the MFGs :). It's the same with a damper. No, you don't need it. But once you put it on, you will never fly without it.

I also “upgraded” the crosswind and would never go back. The main benefit to me is the shorter pedal movement controlled by the toes actually makes braking easier - counterintuitive I know but it does. The damper on the rudder axis aids stability at holding a position without really changing to a force - it just dampens minor adjustments rather than major adjustments. the dampers on the brake pedals  very possibly do have an effect but the major effect is the pedal themselves and the damper. My only suggestion is to make the pedals in the same shape as the P-51 pedals - I only really fly warbirds 😊 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of questions talking about this damper mod for the Crosswind Pedals.

 

Does it require new holes to be drilled in existing Crosswind Pedals?

How does one go about attaining everything required?

I already have some new footrests on the way from a different source.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Adam

 

I went from CH Pro to Simpeds to Slaw 109s. Each time it felt like an upgrade. I liked the CH pedals, they were probably the most robust feeling but like you I found them too narrow. 

I love my Slaw pedals and have had them for 7 years, with no problems and they are still pin point accurate. Travel in the pedal goes 0-100 with no dead zone.

 

However if I was in the market for a new set of pedals I would most likely go with the Crosswinds as the price is spot on I think. Slaws are very high end in build and price!

I'm sure you'll see the benefit straight away out of the box without any tweaking. Once you have used them for a bit , you'll get a feel if you need any adjustments.

Those combat pedals Hegykc does do  look pretty cool though :)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  

11 minutes ago, dburne said:

Couple of questions talking about this damper mod for the Crosswind Pedals.

 

Does it require new holes to be drilled in existing Crosswind Pedals?

How does one go about attaining everything required?

I already have some new footrests on the way from a different source.

 

 

No drilling, everything is bolt-on and removable.

 

You can get the kit at my website:

https://www.replikagear.com/

 

If you don't want the foot rests, send me a private message I don't have the damper-only package up just yet.

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hegykc said:

  

 

No drilling, everything is bolt-on and removable.

 

You can get the kit at my website:

https://www.replikagear.com/

 

If you don't want the foot rests, send me a private message I don't have the damper-only package up just yet.

 

Sent message from your website thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dburne said:

Couple of questions talking about this damper mod for the Crosswind Pedals.

 

Does it require new holes to be drilled in existing Crosswind Pedals?

How does one go about attaining everything required?

I already have some new footrests on the way from a different source.

 

For the pedals there is also a bracket that is added for each pedal to replace the existing mounting bracket that changes the position of the pedals to more vertical and also limits the travel, it also includes the mounts for the pedal damper. Not sure if your new footrests also include/are compatible with the hegykc bracket. You may want to double check 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lynchsl said:

For the pedals there is also a bracket that is added for each pedal to replace the existing mounting bracket that changes the position of the pedals to more vertical and also limits the travel, it also includes the mounts for the pedal damper. Not sure if your new footrests also include/are compatible with the hegykc bracket. You may want to double check 

 

OK thanks I will check.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for everyone’s input I really appreciate all the Intelligent and honest responses. 

My take away from all this is that to be TRULY happy, one of the only ways is to buy new MFG Crosswind rudder pedals. 😁 And that if I’M happy, my wife and daughter will be too. Yes?  
Please let me know if my thinking is correct on this. 🤓👍🏼
 

All this advice may help with my decision on purchasing a Ludwig 14”x5.5” 1963 reissue Jazz Festival snare drum in Black Oyster. 🥁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dead right mate, you nailed it.

Your Mrs will be totally grateful that you made the purchase. :)

 

In fact keep it a secret and surprise her, she'll love it :)

 

Edited by J2_SteveF
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J5_Adam said:

Thanks for everyone’s input I really appreciate all the Intelligent and honest responses. 

My take away from all this is that to be TRULY happy, one of the only ways is to buy new MFG Crosswind rudder pedals. 😁 And that if I’M happy, my wife and daughter will be too. Yes?  
Please let me know if my thinking is correct on this. 🤓👍🏼
 

All this advice may help with my decision on purchasing a Ludwig 14”x5.5” 1963 reissue Jazz Festival snare drum in Black Oyster. 🥁

Absolutely! Happy Family Happy Life!

These are set up in master bedroom. Ah the perks of being single.😁

 

S!Blade<><

IMG_20160220_164256490.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

Absolutely! Happy Family Happy Life!

These are set up in master bedroom. Ah the perks of being single.😁

 

S!Blade<><

IMG_20160220_164256490.jpg

Awww Blademeister. All these years and I didn’t know you had my heart. 🥁❤️

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, J5_Adam said:

My take away from all this is that to be TRULY happy, one of the only ways is to buy new MFG Crosswind rudder pedals. 😁 And that if I’M happy, my wife and daughter will be too. Yes?  
Please let me know if my thinking is correct on this. 🤓👍🏼

 

Correct. I got mine around 3 years ago, when my cheap old Saiteks suddenly went to pedal hell. My wife, seeing how unhappy I am without pedals, was very sympathetic (even with then-1y/o baby at her breast). Even more so, when I explained her that it's really a top notch piece of hardware that will probably outlast us all (playing along the We're not that rich to be able to afford cheap things logic).
Also, the first night I tried them out, she was as excited as me about how beautifully quiet these new pedals are!
BTW - we're still happy together with second kid now. 😉

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J2_Jakob said:

 

Correct. I got mine around 3 years ago, when my cheap old Saiteks suddenly went to pedal hell. My wife, seeing how unhappy I am without pedals, was very sympathetic (even with then-1y/o baby at her breast). Even more so, when I explained her that it's really a top notch piece of hardware that will probably outlast us all (playing along the We're not that rich to be able to afford cheap things logic).
Also, the first night I tried them out, she was as excited as me about how beautifully quiet these new pedals are!
BTW - we're still happy together with second kid now. 😉

CONGRATS JAKOB!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not yet I have to work through April to pay off my drug dealer and booky, then I'll send out the good news!

 

That baseball player needs to work on his Single Stroke Roll a bit more.... a little uneven. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads up: MFG now has the damping kit for sale. ~48 bucks plus shipping, depending on what model of pedals you have. I have a kit for my V2 pedals on the way. 👍🏻

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Heads up: MFG now has the damping kit for sale. ~48 bucks plus shipping, depending on what model of pedals you have. I have a kit for my V2 pedals on the way. 👍🏻

 

Thanks much. I had sent request in to that Hegyk fella or whatever his name was, but he stopped replying.

I will just get from Milan now.

Hmm wonder how one tells which version number of pedals?

Edit: Ok I checked his software, mine are Version 2.

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Heads up: MFG now has the damping kit for sale. ~48 bucks plus shipping, depending on what model of pedals you have. I have a kit for my V2 pedals on the way. 👍🏻

 

Thanks much, just placed my order for my version 2 pedals.

👍

I also have new footrests coming from that other fella - Trace I believe, they are in transit.

 

Ya know I would probably save a lot of money if I quit reading the fligth sim hardware forums lol.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Heads up: MFG now has the damping kit for sale. ~48 bucks plus shipping, depending on what model of pedals you have. I have a kit for my V2 pedals on the way. 👍🏻

How do I know which version I have? My Crosswinds are white and I had version one of the of the firmware, but now upgraded to firmware version 2. How do you tell???

 

S!Blade<><

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

How do I know which version I have? My Crosswinds are white and I had version one of the of the firmware, but now upgraded to firmware version 2. How do you tell???

 

S!Blade<><

 

Launch the MFG software, it will tell you what version pedals you have.

 

wrRHSsm.jpg

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, dburne said:

Launch the MFG software, it will tell you what version pedals you have.

 

I'm glad I had a second look at what version of pedals I had - I had accidentally ordered the V3 damper. Thankfully, the fine folks at MFG voided the original order within about 10 minutes(!) of me notifying them, and now I have the proper ones on order. That is excellent communication right there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

I'm glad I had a second look at what version of pedals I had - I had accidentally ordered the V3 damper. Thankfully, the fine folks at MFG voided the original order within about 10 minutes(!) of me notifying them, and now I have the proper ones on order. That is excellent communication right there.

 

Yeah they are good people for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

brake dampeners in the form of the little CX10 RC shocks 😄  <-- cute, I'll leave it at that.

 

Bit the main axis dampener is a pretty good mod IMHO, specifically for tank busting or any 600-700m+ engagements. I'm definitely getting the mod!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

How do I know which version I have?

 

For install damper without extra support you need the pedal sold at end of 2020.

 

New 2021 V3 (hardware version, not software version).

 

But the kit with support say that is compatible with all versions (V1, V2, V3).

 

Compatible with MFG Crosswing V1,V2,V3 pedals.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered. I don't see how one can make Crosswinds any better, but I will be an impartial judge as to whether this damper actually makes them better. I would love to be proved wrong, but we will see soon enough.:popcorm:

 

S!Blade<><

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

Ordered. I don't see how one can make Crosswinds any better, but I will be an impartial judge as to whether this damper actually makes them better. I would love to be proved wrong, but we will see soon enough.

 

Me too...many thanks to all in thread who made me aware such a mod even existed.  Fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 4:57 AM, hegykc said:

Our MFGs are very light. When you move them, you move 1kg of weight around completely effortlessly. In a real plane, rudder pedals are chunks of metal, there are rods and linkages, steel cables, counter-weights and what not. Dozens of kg of weight to move around. Damper kit provides a feeling of that weight.

 

Without the damper, you are flying a wireless toy, a drone. Your MFGs are completely disconnected from the 15,000 lbs war machine on your monitor/VR goggles.

When you put the damper on, it makes them heavy and super smooth. You are no longer controlling a wireless toy drone, but a real gigantic war machine.

 

Plenty have asked why would I need it. But I can tell you, not a single one who's tried it, has taken it off. Once you go MFG, you don't go back. And once you go damper-on, you don't go back.

 

4 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

So whats the advantage of the damper?

 

Hegykc's description above is what convinced me to order one to give it a try.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Received a set of 3d printed F16 Combat Pedals for the Crosswinds. I ordered these from a guy offering them over on the other forums.

They look great and feel quite solid.

I will probably wait till I have the Damper Kit from Milan at MFG and install them all together at the same time.

But who knows I might grow impatient. At least my plan today is to wait.

 

yAFVDq4.jpg

 

 

6j68Oeu.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered the damper kit for my MFG's, if only out of curiosity. Agree with the previous posts, excellent kit, ultimately great value and for me, have the sensitivity to allow me to 3 point a 109E/F 98 times out of 100 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...