I’d like to buy some Crosswinds to replace my very old CH Pedals. 
I know there are some of you that own the Crosswinds and I’ve heard over and over that they are probably the best. 
Are there any of the accessories you could suggest as far as the cams and springs go that would be beneficial to maximum enjoyment in FC/IL2? Or is the standard equipment that comes with them excellent?

@US93_Larner

@J5_Baeumer

@J5_Mueller

Edited by J5_Adam
1 hour ago, J5_Adam said:

I know there are some of you that own the Crosswinds and I’ve heard over and over that they are probably the best. 
Are there any of the accessories you could suggest as far as the cams and springs go that would be beneficial to maximum enjoyment in FC/IL2? Or is the standard equipment that comes with them excellent?

Don't know about the accessories, but crosswinds were a HUGE upgrade from my old saitek pros...smooth as butter right out of the box and the spring tension is adjustable, so with a bit of tinkering you can get them just how you want them 👍

• Thanks 1

I have the crosswinds. They are great. I haven't tried the slaw pedals so that can't compare them. I have the extra cams but I just prefer the standard stuff.

• Thanks 1

Just got my Crosswinds about 2 months ago and really like them a bunch. Smooth and the spring tensioning is great. I'm using the original cams don't feel a need to order the others, but it's nice that the option exists. What really sold me was the pedal width as I've had several pedal sets and the pedals were always way to close together and uncomfortable for me and the Crosswinds are nice and wide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have cross winds as well got lucky to find them in stock and it took only 4 days to get them to me with express shipping. I upgraded from the thrustmaster sliding pedals and they are so much better, precise and smooth finally coordinated turns are possible and take off are much easier.

I did not order any cam and just left the one that was preinstalled works great for me.

Only disadvantage is that if you don't mount them on something and just leave them on the floor they will lean on the side if you put only one foot on the pedals. It is not a problem most of the time only when I am getting in and out of my 'cockpit'.

• Thanks 1

If you fly Central I recommend you use arrow keys and autorudder.

Yes, MFG Crosswinds are the best. Order the softspring mod and you can still decide whether or not you like the stiffer feel of the standard spring. Hehe, stiff.

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, J5_Adam said:

All you need is to build yourself the legendary PlankBar™.  I wouldn't swap mine for anything.

• Haha 2

I have had my Crosswinds for 4 years? I think?? I ordered the extra cams and they are sitting on my desk just as pristine and new as the day Milan manufactuered them, LOL. Honestly after assembly and fiddling with my Crosswinds for maybe 20 minutes including installing the software, I have never changed them once since then. They are the single most high quality piece of kit that I own next to my TIR5. I simply LOVE them for sim flying. I cannot recommend them or Milan's excellent support enough. Just pull the trigger. You will not be disappointed I guarantee. I have never once read a complaint against MFG Crosswinds or Milan.

S!Blade<><

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

Just pull the trigger. You will not be disappointed I guarantee

second that

have 2 sets. best piece of hardware ever

6 minutes ago, US213_Talbot said:

While we're all here, is there any basic maintenance I need to do on these pedals? 

They get pretty much daily use.

Other than keeping the dust off of them, not really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Standard equipment is excellent.

Never hurts to get the extras though you may never use them.

Been running my Crosswinds since Dec 2015 and absolutely love them, nary an issue.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

I have had my Crosswinds for 4 years? I think?? I ordered the extra cams and they are sitting on my desk just as pristine and new as the day Milan manufactuered them, LOL. Honestly after assembly and fiddling with my Crosswinds for maybe 20 minutes including installing the software, I have never changed them once since then. They are the single most high quality piece of kit that I own next to my TIR5. I simply LOVE them for sim flying. I cannot recommend them or Milan's excellent support enough. Just pull the trigger. You will not be disappointed I guarantee. I have never once read a complaint against MFG Crosswinds or Milan.

S!Blade<><

Yeah, what Blade said, I've had mine for two years, and they are the same set up as I took out of the box.  never tried different cam or springs.  Now there are aftermarket products you can buy for them from other people.  Sokol makes different foot pedals, https://www.mediafire.com/file/b0lv5vcb5lanjca/Skin_Stuff_etc.rar/file

hegyck makes more products for the Crosswinds, I beta tested a set of his WWII style foot pedal replacements  https://www.mediafire.com/file/b0lv5vcb5lanjca

/Skin_Stuff_etc.rar/file

But like everyone has been saying, I went from CH to Crosswinds and never looked back.  Night and Day difference.  Install the software/firmware and CALIBRATE the pedals before you use them. 

Cheers

Hoss

3 hours ago, J5_Adam said:

Anyone known off hand what shipping might be to the west coast Canada?

Again, whatever shipping costs, just get your money together and pull the trigger! Don't tell your better half!!! Don't be scared!!! If she does find out then tell her this! ---> Honey, this is the last set of Rudder pedals I will ever have to purchase, so if I divide out the cost of these Crosswinds over the next however many years I hope to live and fly sims, lets say 20 for good measure honey,(do the math, 400$ divided by (20 x 365) = .06 / day, rounding up from .0547945205 of course.  You see how dirt cheap these Crosswinds actually are Honey! I actually saved us money! I couldn't do anything for .06 cents a day that would make me any happier, except be with you of course. ;)

You will be in like Flynn I tell you. Go For It!!!:rofl:

S!Blade<><:cool:

• Haha 1

@J5_Adam

You do not need the #5 cam unless you fly helicopter is my understanding.  I have one I'll give to you free. 

I bought the other cam and did switch out the standard to use it.  I bought it because I figured over time I'll become more sensitive to the subtle difference between them. 

Buy an extra spring just to have it on hand ten years from now, since it was not priced unfairly.  You can find similar springs at decent hardware store.  

Shipping will be $50 I think.  But I got them within one business week!  I was impressed and it was worth it.

Buy them.  Wish I had dropped the CH for these years ago.  Really helped me tremendously, but then I need more help than others....all I can get!

You will not be disappointed.

PS I mounted them to a small board with screws (he thought of everything as there are acre holes for this purpose) and I put carpet tape underneath to keep it steady.  They are so sensitive (yet adjustable) that I rarely am jamming my feet around.  They are beautiful.

I've had mine since April 2014 and have never had any issues with them.  Very smooth, precise piece of gear you couldn't pay me enough to switch to another product.

To make a great product even better I recently added a Hegyck mod and am really loving the improved control the damper offers. I understand that Milan also has a damper option he will offer in the near future.

IMG_1413 (1).JPG

• Upvote 2

You will not have an immediate "wow" moment, but over a short period of time you will appreciate how good they are.

Had mine since August '17 and I don't think about them at all now - that is a measure of how good they are, because if anything at all was not quite right I would be thinking about them.

Cam5 all the way.

The only thing you have to figure out is how to set them up on the ground - the base allows them to tip and although it has arms that can butt up against a wall, they aren't really enough.

If you have a hard floor, create a mounting board where the fixing bolts do not touch the floor.  If you use carpet, you can bolt the pedals to some wood using flat head bolts.

Also, find a way to securely fasten the cable into the pedals.  I've lost count of the number of times I've spawned in only to find out that my rudders were not working - bloody kids and Mrs von Tom and their wayward feet...

von Tom

Great choice of rudder controls, much better effect with Cam #5 in my opinion, this reduces the centralling feel of the rudder, on real rudders there is no feel of a central detent but a continuous motion so that is  what this extra cam offers. Best hardware choice I ever made and taught me the meaning of controlled flight and yaw control.

• Upvote 1
On 3/22/2021 at 5:46 PM, J5_Adam said:

@US93_Larner

@J5_Baeumer

@J5_Mueller

Adam, you will not regret buying MFGS. I tried many pedals and they are the most precise, adjustable and comfortable out of all i tried. You can adjust tension of the pedals (and tension of toe brakes), you can adjust the width (you need to order adjustment plates) and the angle of the footrests. Also the price is very fair for what you get. Im using CAM4 (you get CAM4 and CAM6 in the box) but some ppl are using CAM5 (must be ordered separately just as the adjustment plates). Pedals are made of composite (and some metal) and are very durable.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

As everyone is saying, if you buy these pedals it is doubtful you will need to ever purchase another set. I have had mine for 2 years and they are the best

purchase I have made in regards to flight sim equipment. They are durable, very accurate and Milan offers great support and in my opinion his effort and care

in responding to flight sim enthusiast needs( he now has version 3 )  is rewarding to support. It is true symbiosis ( both parties benefit ) !!! 

Crosswinds are possibly the best purchase I've done so far. And I do love my Virpil stick and Kanttorin Kone throttle also.

I can't understand why the Crosswinds need any modification other than possibly replacing the foot rests with heelless foot rests because of preference. Why would one need a motorcycle damper? I can't fathom what this could possibly do to make the feel of the Crosswinds any better? Of course I am older, already love my crosswinds and don't care for change when I am comfortable with something, so what do I know. I do know that I Love my Crosswinds with no modification and very little adjustment in the software. They just feel very comparable to the rudder pedals that were in the 1941 Stearman that I flew in on an Aerobatic outing a few years back. To each their own, but MFG Crosswinds are still King of the hill to me.:clapping:

S!Blade<><

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Adam, you will not regret buying MFGS. I tried many pedals and there are the most precise, adjustable and comfortable out of all i tried. You can adjust tension of the pedals (and tension of toe brakes), you can adjust the width (you need to order adjustment plates) and the angle of the footrests. Also the price is very fair for what you get. Im using CAM4 (you get CAM4 and CAM6 in the box) but some ppl are using CAM5 (must be ordered separately just as the adjustment plates). Pedals are made of composite (and some metal) and are very durable.

Thanks Tvrdi,

I like the adjustability thing. My CH pedals are to narrow and I’d like to have wide “stance”

48 minutes ago, J5_Adam said:

Thanks Tvrdi,

I like the adjustability thing. My CH pedals are to narrow and I’d like to have wide “stance”

Then you'd definitely like the change to the Crosswinds. My CH pedals served me well for years, but there was no turning back after buying the Crosswinds. I actually took mine to Vegas back in 2018 and had them installed in one of Jason's rigs for the flight sim convention, and they were the no worse for wear after two days of constant, heavy use. 

57 minutes ago, J5_Adam said:

Thanks Tvrdi,

You will love em. MFGs are much wider than CHs by default and with adjustment pads they could be even wider and footrests also positioned lower. I forgot to mention you can even mount the footrests in "V" shape so your feets doesnt need to rest at 90 degerees. Awesome isnt it? 

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
2 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

I can't understand why the Crosswinds need any modification other than possibly replacing the foot rests with heelless foot rests because of preference. Why would one need a motorcycle damper? I can't fathom what this could possibly do to make the feel of the Crosswinds any better? Of course I am older, already love my crosswinds and don't care for change when I am comfortable with something, so what do I know. I do know that I Love my Crosswinds with no modification and very little adjustment in the software. They just feel very comparable to the rudder pedals that were in the 1941 Stearman that I flew in on an Aerobatic outing a few years back. To each their own, but MFG Crosswinds are still King of the hill to me.:clapping:

S!Blade<><

I am with you there. Not sure what this damper does, but don't feel I need it in the least.

19 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

Again, whatever shipping costs, just get your money together and pull the trigger! Don't tell your better half!!! Don't be scared!!! If she does find out then tell her this! ---> Honey, this is the last set of Rudder pedals I will ever have to purchase, so if I divide out the cost of these Crosswinds over the next however many years I hope to live and fly sims, lets say 20 for good measure honey,(do the math, 400$ divided by (20 x 365) = .06 / day, rounding up from .0547945205 of course.  You see how dirt cheap these Crosswinds actually are Honey! I actually saved us money! I couldn't do anything for .06 cents a day that would make me any happier, except be with you of course. ;)

You will be in like Flynn I tell you. Go For It!!!:rofl:

S!Blade<><:cool:

"In like Flint"🤪

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

I have had them since,🤔   crap i cant remember when 

But they are serial  number 0067 and I haven't had a single issue with them since I plugged them in.

I use them at least 4 to 5 days a week.

4 hours ago, dburne said:

I am with you there. Not sure what this damper does, but don't feel I need it in the least.

The damper real utility is allow use the pedal without the spring, for fly helicopters, allowing set the pedal in position.

2 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

The damper real utility is allow use the pedal without the spring, for fly helicopters, allowing set the pedal in position.

Ok Sokol1, I didn't know that. Thank you. So Crosswinds are made more versatile and embrace the rotor heads in the community. Nice.

S!Blade<><

I've had the Crosswinds for a few years now. They're of excellent build quality and very precise. I like that there are multiple cams, springs and a pedal width adapter so you can tweak the stance and action to be however you might like. Something lacking in the first gen plastic pedals. 

As butter smooth as they are out of the box I thought I'd give the Replika Gear mod kit a try. I'd seen dampers on other peds so why not? I didn't think these pedals could possibly be improved but the dampers really do smooth them out even more. 

Another thought, after having owned both CH and Saitek pedals before. These are a massive step forward from the likes of those! With all composite construction and sealed bearings at every pivot point I don't see these ever wearing out. Same goes for the sensors. No more pots getting dirty or just wearing out. They're light years ahead as far as the precision. If you're looking for a better set of pedals that may be the last you'll ever have to buy, the Crosswinds should be on your list. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to repeat what everyone else is saying...

I also went from the CH rudder pedals to the crosswinds. And I couldn't be happier. Well worth the price, and the interection with Milan was also top notch.

The only "change" I did was putting the foot plates slightly in a V shape, and loosening the spring tension on the toe brakes. Coming from the CH pedals wich are super light, the crosswind ones felt a bit stiff, but the default adjustment options are good enough.

Also you can get one of the other options aviable mentioned above to have a super soft toebrake, more similar to the CH ones...