Hello.
 Due to the abandonment by the developers, I am wondering if it is possible to modify the FM.  There are airplanes that in reality turned out to be better - I think of the Fokker D VIII - and others that are not represented in ROF.  Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the FM or have any idea how to do it?
 Greetings.

I want to express my displeasure with the ROF developers.  I think it is the best WWI simulator, but the treatment of ROF clients is regrettable.  FC pretends to be its continuation but the reality is that it is a much worse simulator, with much less content and with a very different and expensive business model.

That is why I would like to encourage the good moders here to try to modify aspects of ROF that have not been touched until now such as FM, the creation of new aircraft and the mission and campaign generator to - beyond PWCG- Greetings  .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think you better keep supporting FC anyway, there are mod posibillities in both games but it has always been a policiy that FM's don't get modified.

FC may not have the content of RoF yet but good things are coming (read Jason's announcement and his comments in his officers club topic).

RoF had more than 4 years of development, FC not (yet) and although the BoX series is longer running now, it has a completely different business model than RoF with complete expansions (RoF just had planes and 2 maps but no real complete expancion packs). Don't forget that when RoF was initially started by Neoqb, another company, and the current team had to work on their legacy (and restrictions) when they took over. They just couldn't keep improving the product on the old RoF engine, something they can do now on the BoX engine so a desicion had to be made on how to continue the WWI content. And thus came FC.

The map will keep expanding too with each new FC expansion.

Hace a nice day.

:salute:

• Upvote 1
On 3/22/2021 at 1:22 AM, FlyingShark said:

RoF just had planes and 2 maps

Just a quick correction, RoF had a Western Front map, Channel map, and Tarnopol (Eastern Front) map.

But I agree with the OP here as when I compare IL-2 1946 to Great Battles, I see many differences that make Great Battles much better than IL-2 1946 (save for the vast amount of aircraft including 4 engine bombers, radio comms, and maps such as PTO, etc.). When I compare RoF to FC, the only main difference is just VR, pretty much everything else is the same. Sure the textures are dated in RoF but compared to IL-2 1946 they aren't that dated.

Also, I discovered RoF by complete accident back in the late summer of 2016, and in a short time I downloaded it and bought several DLC packs. If I had known that there was going to be FC and each FC installment would cost $100 CDN for such small improvements, I would have gotten the Channel Battles and Ilya Muromets DLCs and stopped right there. Where did my money go for all the RoF DLCs that I bought, did it go to use or was it just flushed down the toilet?

Back in 2017 when 1C announced Bodenplatte and Tank Crew, they should have just given the Digital Nature engine to another team as 1C has moved on from that engine and it's now completely different from the current Digital Warfare (Sturmovik) Engine.

If there was no RoF and FC was 1C/777's first crack at WW1, then I would have been very excited for this. But considering the fact that there already is a WW1 combat flight simulator game which has been listed as the 'most realistic WW1 air combat simulation ever', and it's still a beauty to fly even today, I feel that the devs were better off doing just Bodenplatte and Tank Crew, and getting another team to continue work on RoF if they really wanted to return to WW1.

Edited by Enceladus
grammar

English please

Have a nice day.

32 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

Just a quick correction, RoF had a Western Front map, Channel map, and Tarnopol (Eastern Front) map.

I know but I didn't mention Tarnopol because it was a side project of an external developer.

Have a nice day.

Edited by FlyingShark

I clarify that I have the FC, that's why I say that compared to ROF, today, it is a mediocre simulator.  1 map and 10 planes - 8 actually - and no career mode - we have it but thanks to Pat Wilson - I feel let down.  I ended up buying BOS because I thought it was like ROF but with WWII planes.  I also thought that the development of ROF was not going to stop and FC is not a development of ROF, it is a step backwards.  I think developers could even use more third-party modifications in ROF, it would make this great simulator more widely known and it would not take time for FC development.  It would be very nice if they make it easier to modify the AI, one of the bad aspects of ROF, and allow modifications in the FM to be able to incorporate new aircraft.

Greetings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Just now, dresamAsam71 said:

FC is not a development of ROF, it is a step backwards.

In good time, FC will be a huge step further from RoF.

Keep supporting and have some patience.

Have a nice day.

Unfortunately tweaking (reducing strength)  wings damage and additional  but unrealistic simulation of control surfaces rod jamming emptied servers very quickly. I'm surprised that Sunday is still busy. For me the fun factor which was in the beginning is gone by huge amount. I love old crates but as it's now I prefer ww2. I hope devs will find some resources eventually, will listen to multiplayer community and work out solution.

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

. I love old crates but as it's now I prefer ww2.

I more a less in the same row, from 2000 on I did play only WW1 flysims (RB series, FCorps, WingsOW, OFF, RoF, Woff) did try il2-1946/BoB2/Clod, conclusion no real interest in WW2.  VR and the disappointing FC, did bring me to WW2 as an interim.  Intending to hop over to a much better made FS2020-VR, only I can not get an decent priced RTX3080. 

So it all did forced me to play BoX-WW2 more intensive and besides the needs to improved its 2012 graphics and lack of performance efficiency, I do like it. 

Edited by Dutch2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

I more a less in the same row, from 2000 on I did play only WW1 flysims (RB series, FCorps, WingsOW, OFF, RoF, Woff) did try il2-1946/BoB2/Clod, conclusion no real interest in WW2.  VR and the disappointing FC, did bring me to WW2 as an interim.  Intending to hop over to a much better made FS2020-VR, only I can not get an decent priced RTX3080. 

So it all did forced me to play BoX-WW2 more intensive and besides the needs to improved its 2012 graphics and lack of performance efficiency, I do like it. 

In december I had changed my cpu/motherboard and was about to change gpu, but prices for new gpu in actions were already 30% higher than in empty stores so i decided to wait, now I looked again and prices are 150 % more for rtx 3080. WTF

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, dresamAsam71 said:

This forum is not about modifying ROF ???

RoF is unlikely to be modified in the manner you want (e.g. new aircraft in particular), and if it is ever done, discussing it on this forum would be unwise. As with all video games, the software is subject to intellectual property laws, and mods - derivative works under copyright law - are only ever tolerated or sanctioned to the extent that said intellectual property owners are willing to. It is implausible to say the least that they would permit such modifications to a product which would be in direct competition with products they are currently marketing. And if you actually wish them to allow such modifications, you might do better not to insult their later work.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello.

I'm not talking about "breaking" ROF, I'm talking about facilitating some third-party mods as the game has been abandoned by the developers.  Modifying FM may be problematic but the AI should be improved.

I think making ROF more attractive would bring more buyers and more funds to further develop FC.

On the other hand, the development of Cliff Of Dover by third parties - Team Fussion - was allowed and it did not mean loss of interest in BOS, I wish they had done the same with ROF.

Greetings.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, dresamAsam71 said:

On the other hand, the development of Cliff Of Dover by third parties - Team Fussion - was allowed and it did not mean loss of interest in BOS, I wish they had done the same with ROF.

I wouldn’t use Cliffs of Dover/Team Fusion as an example because that game was abandoned by the original developers in a completely broken state and a Mod team had to get in there to fix the game. For 3 years there work was unofficial until they received the source code.

I’d use IL-2 1946 as an example as 1C Maddox just moved on from that game to develop a new game, but they released the source code to Team Daidalos so they could continue making improvements to the game, which they’ve done a fantastic job at. 

With RoF, 1C/777 just moved on from that game to focus their work on BoX/Great Battles. I feel that what happened with IL-2 1946 should happen with RoF.

That’s just how I feel.

Edited by Enceladus
  • Haha 1

The game engine of the RoF game is more a less the same as the BoX game engine, so once you have the RoF game code, you have also have the control of the TC/FC/BoX engine. So believe me, that would never happen as long if 1C sticks to this game engine. 

I would more like to see an SDK route, like for;  changing the Careers, ingame implementation of  PWCG, new maps, new planes, open telemetry, same method you already do see at some race sims and DCS. 

Edited by Dutch2
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, pocketshaver said:

However the fact that the game is almost unplayable due to it not seeming to honor old player accounts for those who have BOUGHT all the content in it makes it a dead duck.

Fired my install up today and apart from having to update for privacy issues and having forgot my password, once done all seems okay to me from a quick check.;)

Admittedly I am strictly offline so you might be referring to something peculiar to multiplayer, not sure.

The content for R.O.F. is really great, including some superb objects added using mods on, and especially that channel map, if it all comes

to F.C. then all is good but it will be sad to see the game abandoned if all is eventually available in the new iteration.:cray:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Husar basically stated my perspective exactly. FC was a limited game, but playable within its own narrow scope - a one map and a handful of planes in 1918. But the core game was pretty good, just limited in scope. The DM update was an improvement to the WW2 planes, but a debacle for FC due to  jamming controls, broken wings, and bizarre imbalance. In a sense, the core game actually took one step forward but two steps back.  As a result, ROF became not only broader in scope than FC (until that point, its main advantage), but also now a more balanced game.

That's not to say FC is done. A new batch of planes, new map, and improvement to the DM would really change things back in its favor. But with that being said, the two steps back to FC made ROF a much more competitive offering again. I'd love to see an enthusiast mod team work on ROF, but I don't see that in the cards. CLOD was really struggling, and an enthusiast developer team helped that game out, and even expanded into Tobruk. One can wish, but I don't see it if FC is the flagship WW1 offering. I'm hoping FC Vol. 2 will return us to where we were hoping to be. I pre-ordered and I'm totally willing to give it a fair shot.

Until that happens, I'm spending most of my flight time in either WW2 or ROF, depending on what I want to do.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck