Some quick impressions of Quest 2 with latest link update (5900x/3080 system)

Hey guys,

So I just got a new rig this weekend (full specs in my signature)...moving from my previous 8700k/1080ti build.  

I finally got all of my software squared away, and spent this afternoon resetting all of my inputs for my Warthog HOTAS and pedals and flew a few quick missions to get my bearings again.

A few observations..both coming from 8700k/1080ti to 5900x/3080 and observations on the progression of Oculus link with the current beta.

• hardware wise...I'm super impressed with the performance boost.  On my previous build, I was running Open Composite, Oculus Link at the default 1.0 settings and would still experience stutters, and a bit of slowdown in dogfights.  FPS would jump around from 45-90, mostly stable but some minor hiccups here and there.  Not a bad experience by any measure....BUT.....  Today....running no Open Composite, with Oculus Link resolution at 1.7 (90 FPS) settings (Steam settings at default 100%) with several browsers open, etc. while testing....my experience was absolutely butter smooth both in single plan flight and dogfights of up to 8 planes on screen.  Not one hiccup, not one noticeable bit of lag.  Now I turned on the FPS counter just to test (all settings are default out of the box as I lost all of my previous settings in the move to the new build) and while yes the FPS counter was jumping around a bit..unless I was staring at the FPS counter I would have thought it was locked at 90.  Absolute butter and, again..that's before I've had the chance to spend time tweaking settings, running Open Composite on this rig, etc.  Both this CPU and GPU performance are unreal and it's noticeable right out of the gates (8700k/1080ti is still nothing to sneeze at performance wise as well).
  • The latest Oculus beta and the improvements to the Link are absolutely huge.  As I mentioned..I now have the horsepower to push the resolution to max getting 1.7 at 90 FPS with no glitches/freezes/hiccups.  I tested in IL-2, Half Life Alyx, Asgard's Wrath and no issues.  But besides that...the clarity is crazy good.  I want to get a G2 and still plan on purchasing one..but I have to be honest...I don't see how it could be THAT much clearer than what I'm seeing now.  The gauges were absolutely crystal clear, even down to the fine print on dials.  I don't fly MP, SP only and I usually leave the helper spotting markers (not the full overlay, just the plane markers) to help me spot enemies.  Today I turned it off and was able to distinctly see the shape of 109s, P-51s, etc.  I am blown away that this level of clarity is coming from a compressed signal through a USB.  It is night and day from even a few months back.
  • I'm sure I'll be spending the next week or so tinkering, tweaking, etc. to get the settings where I want them..but even right out of the box, not changing any graphics settings, not running OC, having other programs open, it was a distinct difference and I'm excited to see just how much better I can get it.
  • I may still get a Reverb G2, but I have absolutely zero complaints with the crisp, clear visuals I'm getting out of the Quest 2 via link and zero issues as a result.  Really really happy overall.

Anyway, just wanted to share.  

• Like 3
On 3/20/2021 at 8:31 PM, AuburnAlumni said:

coming from 8700k/1080ti to 5900x/3080

Which begs another question, how/where did you land the 5900x & the 3080?

-War Eagle!! '84

5 hours ago, Varibraun said:

Which begs another question, how/where did you land the 5900x & the 3080?

-War Eagle!! '84

I ended up having my rig built for the simple fact of saving my sanity/wallet trying to hunt them down and build them separately.  WDE

• Thanks 2

Nice rig AuburnAlumni! 

I have a 5900x/RX6800 combo and I'm also impressed.

Just ordered the Oculus Quest2 recently and enjoy it.

Varibraun, finding the 5900x is tough but I found an Ebay seller sometime ago and though I paid a premium, it pales in comparison to trying to find one now.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, skline00 said:

Nice rig AuburnAlumni! 

I have a 5900x/RX6800 combo and I'm also impressed.

Just ordered the Oculus Quest2 recently and enjoy it.

Varibraun, finding the 5900x is tough but I found an Ebay seller sometime ago and though I paid a premium, it pales in comparison to trying to find one now.

Yeah, honestly...if you are in the market for both a new CPU and a new GPU..I'd recommend going to a reputable pc build company and ordering a new build.  Most of the better companies are NOT raising prices past MSRP on those parts and the additional cost of the rest of the build is offset by the fact that you aren't paying 2-3x the cost on those main parts.

The total cost of the build for me was 97 dollars more than what the cost of the individual parts would be per PC Part Picker.  Plus the fact that these companies order direct from the suppliers and have a steady stream of supply coming in (although it still make take a few weeks).

I never recommend buying over building in a "normal" year..but as everyone knows..these are far from normal times right now.

That being said...5900x is a beast of a CPU for sure.

• Upvote 1
On 3/24/2021 at 9:53 AM, AuburnAlumni said:

The total cost of the build for me was 97 dollars more than what the cost of the individual parts would be per PC Part Picker.  Plus the fact that these companies order direct from the suppliers and have a steady stream of supply coming in (although it still make take a few weeks).

I never recommend buying over building in a "normal" year..but as everyone knows..these are far from normal times right now.

That's not bad at all, which company did you end up using?  I will check out that option, but I am guessing I will probably wait it out because, with the short supply, I ended up spending my "upgrade budget" on peripherals over the past few months. 

My system (I9-9900K & 2080TI) still runs the Reverb G2 pretty well, especially with the forced reprojection, so I guess I could hold on for a 3080-TI or even the next gen.

2 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

That's not bad at all, which company did you end up using?  I will check out that option, but I am guessing I will probably wait it out because, with the short supply, I ended up spending my "upgrade budget" on peripherals over the past few months. 

My system (I9-9900K & 2080TI) still runs the Reverb G2 pretty well, especially with the forced reprojection, so I guess I could hold on for a 3080-TI or even the next gen.

Yeah that last part makes sense, 9900k is still a great cpu.

• Like 1
Just now, dburne said:

Yeah that last part makes sense, 9900k is still a great cpu.

LOL...thanks for the support Don, because it's your fault I already spent my budget this year!  Just kidding of course, loving the new throttle (which made me want a new Virpil base that I think is on the way, and then saw the Mod thread for the damper on my Crosswinds).  :salute:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

LOL...thanks for the support Don, because it's your fault I already spent my budget this year!  Just kidding of course, loving the new throttle (which made me want a new Virpil base that I think is on the way, and then saw the Mod thread for the damper on my Crosswinds).  :salute:

Lol I like to share the pain.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Varibraun said:

I went with Xidax and I've been thoroughly impressed with both the service and the quality.  Very very good company from my dealings with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AuburnAlumni said:

I went with Xidax and I've been thoroughly impressed with both the service and the quality.  Very very good company from my dealings with them.

It’s too late for me now, but I will keep the company in mind if the GPU situation doesn’t get better thru the first half of next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello you would you mind sharing your video settings? I have a 5800x with 3070 and I'm seriously finding it hard to balance performace with looks with the Quest 2