Gaz Truck/Ford Model A Operating Controls Layout

Thought I would do this for those that have no experience with vintage vehicles...

2lIKDI.jpg

Not pictured is the foot actuated starter push, which is on the floor above and between the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal.   Foot controls are the standard three pedal layout with clutch on the left, brake in the center and accelerator on the right.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Thought I would do this for those that have no experience with vintage vehicles...

All good and well.

I'm adding some mag rims, suicide doors, a blower and a ratchet shifter to mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 40plus said:

Where's the windshield wiper controls?

It's a small knob right behind the vacuum motor itself, at the top of the windshield frame.  Pull it out to turn it on.  Single speed.  And because it is powered by manifold vacuum, the wipers go slower the faster you go...  It's shown in the screenshot.  I will add the call-out for it.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

It's a small knob right behind the vacuum motor itself, at the top of the windshield frame.  Pull it out to turn it on.  Single speed.  And because it is powered by manifold vacuum, the wipers go slower the faster you go...  It's shown in the screenshot.  I will add the call-out for it.

Not just when going faster, hills too.

My dad tells stories of driving an old Austin Healey in the rain and everytime he climbed the super long hill to our neighborhood, the wipers would cut and he could see shite.

My grandfather had a 1930's vintage Ford truck, a smaller version of the GAZ but otherwise looked identical.

There wasn't any windshield wiper motor. It was hand operated.

There was small lever on the wiper axis that you moved back and forth. The driver drove with one hand, cleared the windshield with the other.

We kids loved it.

Not certain how Grampa felt about it.

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

2lIKDI.jpg

Not pictured is the foot actuated starter push, which is on the floor above and between the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal.   Foot controls are the standard three pedal layout with clutch on the left, brake in the center and accelerator on the right.

Why are you chumming? 🤣

Chumming the water for sharks - Best Spinning Reels 2019 | Spinning Reel  Review Site

A choke - a thing of the past. 

I fited a K&N filter to my Citroen AX GT. In summer it was OK, but in winter had to drive round with the choke out as if I didn't it kept stalling.

22 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I wonder what the braking performance of a GAZ truck was like with half a ton of anti aircraft gun bolted to the flatbed?😫

Seeing as it only has rear brakes, and a Model A Ford car with 4 wheel mechanical brakes can barely stop in a way that modern motorists can understand, I'd say it's braking could best be described as, um...  inadequate.

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I wonder what the braking performance of a GAZ truck was like with half a ton of anti aircraft gun bolted to the flatbed?😫

I would think it could do some pretty mean 1930s style drifting with all that weight hanging off the tail end. That is, if drifting is even possible at 30-40 mph?

2 hours ago, Rjel said:

I would think it could do some pretty mean 1930s style drifting with all that weight hanging off the tail end. That is, if drifting is even possible at 30-40 mph?

Nope - not enough power and COG too high. Don’t forget tire skip angles, sway bar and bump/rebound considerations. Yes I’m an old GPL’er. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:20 PM, Gambit21 said:

All good and well.

I'm adding some mag rims, suicide doors, a blower and a ratchet shifter to mine.

I'm just gonna put in about 2 gallons of kvass 

42 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

My passenger was surprised.

:biggrin:

It's 1983.  I come home on leave on my latest bike - a Kwacka Gpz1100.  Triple disc brakes, full fairing, a million squillion bhp, etc.  Dad has finally bolted back together the 1937 350cc Norton International that he last had running in 1953!  

We're both anxious for a go on each other's bikes.  After I get my head round the ignition advance lever, the mixture lever, the right foot gear change and actually kickstarting it, we head off in different directions.

The Norton's ancient long-stroke single cylinder engine with a bloody great cast iron flywheel and crankshaft means there's a whole lotta' shakin' going on but it's surprisingly swift off the line.  I snick my way up the gears and my first thought is "wow, this thing goes well!"  Up ahead the lights are changing to red, I close the throttle and apply the brakes.  My second thought is "Oh sh#t!!!"

Twenty minutes later I roll up at home again, a now wiser motorcyclist.  Dad has just got back too.  Our first words to each other;  "My god, the brakes!"    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, =13NVO=Eeafanas said:

Submit a photo of your Ford A @BlitzPig_EL

I don't own one personally.  The museum I work for has a 1931 "woody" station wagon, and I have driven many of them in my 20+ years as a mechanic specializing in vintage cars.

This is the vehicle in the museum...

sPg8YF.jpg

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 5
2 часа назад, BlitzPig_EL сказал:

I don't own one personally.  The museum I work for has a 1931 "woody" station wagon, and I have driven many of them in my 20+ years as a mechanic specializing in vintage cars.

sPg8YF.jpg

it's a pity we don't have many such museums in Russia.  True, although there are few of them, there are more unique exhibits there.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:37 PM, BlitzPig_EL said:

You can four wheel drift an MG TC at 25mph.  Be sure.

I prefer to drift on a Sherman. 

Edited by BP_Lizard
  • Haha 1

I used to have a 1942 Jeep (have always regretted selling it because of a service move). 1 can vividly remember the only emergency stop I ever had to do on a main road. One foot on the clutch, one foot on the brake pressing them so hard and gripping the steering wheel so tight that my bum was off the seat. I always wore boots when driving it after that.

5 часов назад, LukeFF сказал:

The sound of the rear axle of the transmission at 0:03 and this sound of the gear shifting takes me back to my childhood when my father rolled me in his truck.

On 3/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, BlitzPig_EL said:

sPg8YF.jpg

You and those working with you should be very proud of the outstanding work you do keeping those old Vehicles in such a beautiful condition.:cool:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1
On 3/20/2021 at 10:12 AM, 40plus said:

Not just when going faster, hills too.

My dad tells stories of driving an old Austin Healey in the rain and everytime he climbed the super long hill to our neighborhood, the wipers would cut and he could see shite.

Not to date myself, but the first jeep i drove, in 1973, was an M151. An original M151, no turn signals and with the vacuum wipers. Traveling the autobahn during the rain was a trip, down hill the blades moved faster than the Flash, up hill, slower than a snail in molasses.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1