Developer Diary 276 - Discussion

29 minutes ago, 13Nrv said:

will it be possible to drive them with a FFB wheel ?

why do you need a FFB for a truck that goes 20mph ? :)  but hey, to each their own..

in the early 2000's I was playing the WRC games with a joystick. Surprisingly it worked very well as the progressive ratio of a joystick was very close to that of a wheel. I hope we will be able to assign the Joystick axis to the steering action and not just keyboard.

well, I was trying to hold out, but I just bought the GAZ-MM 72K.

Should be useful for backing up some of my more Tank-y buddies on Finnish!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BOS-KrausseBouse said:

"Another week has passed and our work has moved another step forward. The Collector AAA vehicle, 25-mm automatic gun installed on the chassis of the GAZ-MM truck will be finished soon - the physical model of the truck is ready, as are the automatic gun animations and functioning, all animations of the chassis and the crew as well as gun ballistics and damage model are also done. The correction system for the gunsight that turned out to be incredibly complex kinematically is in. The unique audio and more detailed tech of the tires visualization and deformation are icing on the cake. All these elements have something new and are believed to be interesting for the end-user to familiarize with and learn something new. At the moment we're improving the visual look of the new vehicle, the texturing of the gun, and apply the new DVD tech we talked about in our previous Dev Blog to make the result the best. "

This is a flight simulator that I bought. Worked more on flight models and visibility.

23 minutes ago, 30speed said:

why do you need a FFB for a truck that goes 20mph ? :)  but hey, to each their own..

For the new Nordschleife map they will announce next, of course 😁

• Haha 2

The new aerial scenes are breathtaking BUT will any or all of these city-scapes ( esp the railway yards show bomb damage when we will be able to bomb them with formations of the new flyable B-25's ( and maybe some dat B-17's?)

1 hour ago, 216th_Cat said:

Good stuff. Thanks for the update 👍. The railyards and stations are are a definite (and much-needed improvement) and that flak truck sure looks interesting.

Now, which airfield is going to best for a racetrack...? 😉

Well, I think Dunsfold is going to be on the Normandy map, so... 😄 

• Upvote 1
Just now, LukeFF said:

Well, I think Dunsfold is going to be on the Normandy map, so... 😄 

Stonehenge will presumably be in it as well. That was apparently used as a racecourse in prehistory.

82129AA1-3343-4066-A263-A93CA0135FF3.jpeg.1caf3ab2719d27aa0d2d496748823b06.jpeg

• Haha 2

You guys realize that the GAZ probably had a top speed somewhere around 35 to 40 mph?  The Model A Ford automobile, with the same basic driveline, and taller gears is comfortable on modern paved roads at about 45mph, for one with a really well balanced modern rebuild on it's engine.   Still, I'm in for some racing.   The Arras and Rhineland maps have "paved" roads that may be good for this.

The enhanced railyards look fantastic and add a lot to the map!  I really apricate how the team keeps upgrading existing products in addition to developing new projects.  One of the many reasons I buy everything you produce.  Would be great if a sprinkling of small villages and farms could be added to the map in the future as well. 

I am also looking forward to the GAZ, always fun to learn something new. 

Keep up the great work!!     

Edited by S10JlAbraxis
  • Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Still, I'm in for some racing. 

Me too.

Death Race 1945! 

You be able to assign enemies a Frankenstein level AI driver.

Do I have to go to prison to sign up?

🤣

There is a something about the way these guys do the scenery, colors, countryside, buildings etc, difficult to pinpoint exactly

it makes me keep coming back again and again

It does not matter how much I mess with the colors, monitor and graphic settings in DCS, it does not feel ever as right as this

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a major grip with this week's update "They aren't the most striking or shiny detail of the numerous cities on this map, but they do improve the overall visual look of the scene and make the landscape more realistic."

I must entirely disagree - they are shiny and they are striking! They are also historically important targets for airstrikes (and not just scene dressing). So, striking and going to get striked!

P.S. Looking at the truck I even more strongly desire the option to drive it without the anti-aircraft gun! Why not? Given the fidelity it'd be interesting to race them, and the change in weight distribution would also be interesting. IMHO, the big feature missing from the U-2VS is the lack of cargo options (e.g. for resupplying partisans). Right now our only cargo loadouts are for the Ju-52... but I think there are a lot of people who'd enjoy a few more experiences of being part of the logistics.

36 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

You guys realize that the GAZ probably had a top speed somewhere around 35 to 40 mph?  The Model A Ford automobile, with the same basic driveline, and taller gears is comfortable on modern paved roads at about 45mph, for one with a really well balanced modern rebuild on it's engine.   Still, I'm in for some racing.   The Arras and Rhineland maps have "paved" roads that may be good for this.

Racing is most interesting sometimes when the vehicle isn't designed for it :)

Edited by Avimimus
1 hour ago, 30speed said:

in the early 2000's I was playing the WRC games with a joystick. Surprisingly it worked very well as the progressive ratio of a joystick was very close to that of a wheel. I hope we will be able to assign the Joystick axis to the steering action and not just keyboard.

Try a microsoft FFB2  with a Po2 with  and without FFB 😉 

An FFB wheel without ffb is of no use and not fun at all no sensation at all no resistance ...

I am starting to get a bit hyped for that truck. I probably won't be able to shoot anything down with it but I think it will be pretty cool to drive it around. I am already thinking about some nice rat rod skins. Or an old tow truck skin. Or a shiny polished factory truck skin....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Danziger said:

I am already thinking about some nice rat rod skins. Or an old tow truck skin. Or a shiny polished factory truck skin....

I'l take the set!

I'm excited about those trucks!  they will be great addition to tank crew or just to drive around airfields. or cities. Plus any improvements to Bodenplatte map are most welcome

6 hours ago, namhee2 said:

I am very happy that the Rhineland map is being improved, there is hope that the Walcheren island will be improved? It was involved in heavy fighting in October-November 1944.

map.png

70567737.jpg

Exactly!

Besides it would be nice to have some extra QMB spawn points in Walcheren and the center/northern part of Holland!

Really great work on the improved train stations.

5 hours ago, BOS-KrausseBouse said:

"Another week has passed and our work has moved another step forward. The Collector AAA vehicle, 25-mm automatic gun installed on the chassis of the GAZ-MM truck will be finished soon - the physical model of the truck is ready, as are the automatic gun animations and functioning, all animations of the chassis and the crew as well as gun ballistics and damage model are also done. The correction system for the gunsight that turned out to be incredibly complex kinematically is in. The unique audio and more detailed tech of the tires visualization and deformation are icing on the cake. All these elements have something new and are believed to be interesting for the end-user to familiarize with and learn something new. At the moment we're improving the visual look of the new vehicle, the texturing of the gun, and apply the new DVD tech we talked about in our previous Dev Blog to make the result the best. "

This is a flight simulator that I bought. Worked more on flight models and visibility.

I see where you are coming from,but I think they have a seperate team doing the ground stuff....so this means all the fancy vehicle development should not detract from work on aerial features.

Please correct me if this info is false,but this should allay your fears!

5 hours ago, Avimimus said:

P.S. Looking at the truck I even more strongly desire the option to drive it without the anti-aircraft gun! Why not? Given the fidelity it'd be interesting to race them, and the change in weight distribution would also be interesting.

100% this^  Although, I myself am not so so interested in the racing aspect.

A flatbed mod or cargo mod would allow mission makers to design utility and logistical missions (in multiplayer especially).

I also think that alternate armaments like the DShK and 4-Maxum mount would significantly increase the flexibility and value of this vehicle even more than what it already is. Also, these weapons are already represented in the game-- low fidelity admittedly. But there wouldn't be any new ballistics or complicated aiming assistors to construct.

TopWorldAuto >> Photos of GAZ AA - photo galleries

MiniArt Models on Twitter: "Used #MiniArt Kit: 35186 SOVIET 1,5 t. TRUCK w/  M-4 Maxim AA Machine Gun https://t.co/zZCZbfWYpv Source:  https://t.co/TteWnDfxvU… https://t.co/SY1lAjY70M"

Edited by =SqSq=Civilprotection
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Danziger said:

I am starting to get a bit hyped for that truck. I probably won't be able to shoot anything down with it but I think it will be pretty cool to drive it around. I am already thinking about some nice rat rod skins. Or an old tow truck skin. Or a shiny polished factory truck skin....

....or this...

7edtSKT.jpg

I love the looks of the rail yards. Looking forward to tearing them up in a Mosquito early in the morning and again right at dusk.

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Racing is most interesting sometimes when the vehicle isn't designed for it :)

As we say in the two-wheeled world,  "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow!".  A friend's 250cc Honda CBR is just as much of a gas to ride as my liter bike.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The vehicles are excellent. I love the visual from the drivers seat with rain on the windshield.

I applaud all the improvements on the railway system and the overall map.

Let me remind you not to forget to model properly the sea waves. At the moment the shore has no waves whatever the sea state and wind speed. 

5 hours ago, Bernard_IV said:

Release the Spitfire XIV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My understanding is that things get released when they are ready to be released. Yelling won't speed up the process.

• Upvote 3

I gotta say, I'm quite impressed by the level of detail on the GAZ. Looking through the screenshots it seems that even the odometer is functional!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

As we say in the two-wheeled world,  "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow!".  A friend's 250cc Honda CBR is just as much of a gas to ride as my liter bike.

Same goes for cars Stoopy.  One of my favorite things to do on track days was to pass Porsches at Mid Ohio in my Honda CRX Si.  The "gold chained" Porsche drivers were indignant, the good Porsche drivers smiled and shared beers with me after the days sessions were over.

• Upvote 1

Always happy to see continuing development of existing content. Also pretty sure I'll be getting that GAZ, definitely agree with the suggestion above of giving it a logistics role too.

8 hours ago, /top_lad/CaptainJack said:

Please please please, Can I use my sim racing rig (FFB wheel, gear shifter and pedals) to drive the GAZ. This is important.

Not to keen on this request, I mean to say "How am I going to add you to my ground attack tally if you keep zig zagging all over the place?"

54 minutes ago, migmadmarine said:

Regarding the racing idea, I could see some interesting rally-type multiplayer events. 

With AA equipped vehicles racing, being in last place might have its advantages.

• Haha 1