I installed mods 24 hours ago...

...but a Steam update (not a dev update) killed them!?

The Mods were historically correct skins, awards and flags and MK108 cannon mod.

I know they were there and installed correctly as I tested them out. However when I logged in again a Steam update was run before launch and they were gone in game.

Is this right? Can Steam do this?

Edited by Reggie_Mental

Steam does have an function to reset the game as it is being corrupted. If you settings are also set to default then I geuss you could have use the function. 

But there is a solution by getting the skins back if you use this tool: 

Edit: you have selectedmods on, so mods will be active. 

Edited by Dutch2

Which mods installer are you using?

Steam could overwrite installation files with the original ones if you run Steam's file integrity checker. But in this case just disable and re-enable your mods through your mods installer and you're good to go.

Posted (edited)

I am not using a mods installer. I unzip from downloads folder, cut and paste. 

HSD I used the installer, but HSD is intact and all the skins are as was, historical etc. Forget HSD. It works and is unaffected.

It's the other mods mentioned above that have disappeared. 

• Historical default skins and previews (the standard official skins)
  • Historical Awards
  • MK108 destructive power
Edited by Reggie_Mental
4 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

I am not using a mods installer. I unzip from downloads folder, cut and paste. 

I believe this explains the issue. Steam has downloaded an update OR somehow triggered an integrity check to the installation files (not sure if it can do this without user intervention though). In any case your installation tree was overwritten with proper files and your mods are gone.

The proper way to use mods is to use an installer like JSGME. This way whenever there's an update to Il-2 (they do happen fairly often) you can just disable-enable the mods again and you're good to go. What the mods installers do they keep the modded files in a separate folder from the Il-2 main files and only when you enable a certain mod the related files get copied over to your installation directories.