Fw 190A-8: optional outer wing cannons removal

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The first pic is actually an A-7.

Quite right! The position of the Pitot tube indicates this!

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Both aircraft (the A-7 certainly) seem to have the Erla rack for carrying the 300l tank.

Indeed, both aircraft carry a 300 l drop tank. I read that this trick allowed the few planes available to fly longer on patrol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 2:01 PM, greybeard_52 said:

This would be historical, saving about two hundreds kilograms weight.

Not just weight savings, but the location of the weight is the most crucial part in my opinion.  It's one reason why the A-8 has such a slower roll rate than some of the other Fw190s.  I would love this option; it's one reason why I enjoy the A-3 so much.  I'm surprised it's not an option considering how good of a job they did giving us so many variants of the A-8.

35 minutes ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I'm surprised it's not an option considering how good of a job they did giving us so many variants of the A-8.

Most likely because, however they were removed in combat IRL, the outer guns are not optional like in the A3/5, but part of the aircraft. There was no official fighter subversion without the wing guns.

18 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Most likely because, however they were removed in combat IRL, the outer guns are not optional like in the A3/5, but part of the aircraft. There was no official fighter subversion without the wing guns.

What about planes like the MC.202, P-47, and P-39?  Were the versions without the wing MGs official subversions?

I've also heard that in the 190 A5, the outer wing MG/FF 20s were standard, and it was a field mod to remove them.

1 hour ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

What about planes like the MC.202, P-47, and P-39?  Were the versions without the wing MGs official subversions?

Other than the P-39, yes (not sure about the P-39). Not all versions of the MC202, in particular, were armed with those wing mounted machine guns. 

Edited by LukeFF
2 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I've also heard that in the 190 A5, the outer wing MG/FF 20s were standard, and it was a field mod to remove them.

Might be correct, but that surely was in the fighter configuration, while in the career mode we are using it as ground attack aircraft mainly. In the few fighter missions it is equipped with the outer wing guns.

But I didn't want to say the removing of the outer wing guns for the A8 wouldn't make sense. It might have been done at the end of the war in units, which were not used for intercepting heavy bombers

• 3 weeks later...

I note with some disappointment that the proposal was not accepted in the new version of the 4.601 game. In contrast, the Fw 190A-8 offers the MG 131 machine gun removal option, which never existed in reality.😕

1 hour ago, greybeard_52 said:

In contrast, the Fw 190A-8 offers the MG 131 machine gun removal option, which never existed in reality.😕

Oh, yes it did. The Sturmbock Fw 190s commonly had the machine guns removed, as did the G-8 option.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Oh, yes it did. The Sturmbock Fw 190s commonly had the machine guns removed...

Okay, but I still haven't seen large B-17 formations to intercept (the typical Fw 190A-8 / R2 task), while the removal of outer wing cannons was very common on all fronts in the stock version. Both alternatives could be offered.