Pimax remotely switching off headsets

Hey guys,

this developing story is crazy. Pimax has admitted to place code in their software to switch off/kill Pimax 8K+/X remotely in their latest news item: A "fee" dialog box opens and demands users to pay or have his headset killed.

During the shipping of pre-orders to users in Europe (Germany, France, BeNeLux, Denmark, etc.), they botched the documentation. Result: Customers were often not charged VAT by the customs offices. Instead Pimax got charged. 

So Pimax demands money from the users now - which would be right and fair, even if a mistake has been made. 

But: They slap charges on top of 16% or 19% or 21%, seemingly at random.

But: They switch off headsets of users that have bought Pimax headsets second-hand.

But: Kill-code / changing the product after sale to make it non-functioning is illegal not just in Germany but also the European Union.

Example of a post that is still recent, of an affected user

Note they are quick to delete complaints like this. 

Here is Reddit, from which their employees were banned so they cannot touch it anymore.

Another example is my own:

I have sold the 8KX to another user (who is happy with it). Months later, they charged me VAT, which I paid was fair. However, they also then charged me with additional "processing fees" of around $30 extra. I had to pay that too, or they would have killed the poor guy's headset.

Draw your own conclusions from it, right? 

Guys, if you care about my own, from the bottom of my conscience two things:

1st: I'm regretting that I have ever recommended that company's headsets to anyone.

2nd: I recommend not to buy or support Pimax in any way or form in the future.

P.S. They have been reported to Amazon Germany for their illegal practices now with several Tatbestandsmerkmalen as their prime vendor, and been reported to the German authorities over this similarily. The same happened to Facebook and is the reason they are banned from selling their Hardware in Germany. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Fly safe out there, and enjoy the warbirds

SCG Fenris Wolf

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
46 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Hey guys,

this developing story is crazy. Pimax has admitted to place code in their software to switch off/kill Pimax 8K+/X remotely in their latest news item: A "fee" dialog box opens and demands users to pay or have his headset killed.

During the shipping of pre-orders to users in Europe (Germany, France, BeNeLux, Denmark, etc.), they botched the documentation. Result: Customers were often not charged VAT by the customs offices. Instead Pimax got charged. 

So Pimax demands money from the users now - which would be right and fair, even if a mistake has been made. 

But: They slap charges on top of 16% or 19% or 21%, seemingly at random.

But: They switch off headsets of users that have bought Pimax headsets second-hand.

But: Kill-code / changing the product after sale to make it non-functioning is illegal not just in Germany but also the European Union.

Example of a post that is still recent, of an affected user

Note they are quick to delete complaints like this. 

Here is Reddit, from which their employees were banned so they cannot touch it anymore.

Another example is my own:

I have sold the 8KX to another user (who is happy with it). Months later, they charged me VAT, which I paid was fair. However, they also then charged me with additional "processing fees" of around $30 extra. I had to pay that too, or they would have killed the poor guy's headset.

Draw your own conclusions from it, right? 

Guys, if you care about my own, from the bottom of my conscience two things:

1st: I'm regretting that I have ever recommended that company's headsets to anyone.

2nd: I recommend not to buy or support Pimax in any way or form in the future.

P.S. They have been reported to Amazon Germany for their illegal practices now with several Tatbestandsmerkmalen as their prime vendor, and been reported to the German authorities over this similarily. The same happened to Facebook and is the reason they are banned from selling their Hardware in Germany. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Fly safe out there, and enjoy the warbirds

SCG Fenris Wolf

The most PR friendly response would be to announce the issue and say that the company is eating the cost as it was their error. You look honest and give your customers a break.

The technically correct response would be to send the original buyers the bill and pursue costs that way. Some may not be as understanding as you have been.

I guess they decided they didn't want to do either of the good solutions and pursued a comically bad one.

• Upvote 1

This coming from Pimax I am somehow not surprised.

Disabling headsets over their own screwup though. Wow.

I never cared much for how they marketed their product in the beginning so stayed away from them, this though is incredibly stupid on their part.

And the really bad thing is sounds like they are trying to profit off of it as well.

All they really had to do was apologize and explain their error and I bet 90-95% would have sent them the funds.

• Upvote 1

yikes..

they are backpedaling now.  This became a huge reputation problem for Pimax. I suspect the decision to include a pop-up was put forth by their engineering team. If anything this goes to show that an experienced PR manager is something that any decent sized company can't overlook.

image.png.97e5726c475eeebebade79eae363f0da.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 9:42 AM, Xpens said:

I think the damage is done and it is too late.  I am a Pimax 5K+ owner and have not had any problems with Pimax, but this issue has put me right off and I shall be looking elsewhere for my next set of VR.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by ACG_Talisman