Nav Lights Issue/Bug/Exploit

I Fly Central did a pretty good and to the point video concerning this issue:

Hopefully the devs take note and get this taken care of asap @Jason_Williams

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 11

There is couple of old posts complaining about this problem for years but as the problem benefits highly squadrons playing and using it to call for help or lure noobs, it aint gona atract many fuss like some other problems. There is even mod that makes nav lights look more natural, its veary hard to belive that this is so unfixable or even considered realistic as its since game was made, its more like its so low on priority of things to fix that it get skiped for so long, as i dont belive any of devs thinks this is how nav lights work on airplane in real life.

Everyone who's been around since the beginning knows the classic trick... see a plane flying around slow, at 2K, with his nav lights on...he has a friend at 4K waiting for you to take the bait. 

I've even seen it used offensively. Guy gets on your 6, turn your nav lights on, now the guy's thinking "crap, he must have a friend behind me, break off him!". Psychological warfare at it's best, lol...

• Like 1

Full support.

Associated complaint: tracers.

Broad daylight=short range visibility for tracers (few hundred meters, best case). In game, visible from miles away.

If you solve navlights exploit, people will still use tracers to get attention/help.

• Upvote 10
1 hour ago, PB0_Roll said:

Broad daylight=short range visibility for tracers (few hundred meters, best case).

That is not correct at least for 20mm and larger caliber. I was shooting the 20mm of our IFV with HE at 2km and you clearly can see the tracers all the time.

• Like 1

I was indeed refering to small caliber guns. 

I'll be pretty happy with 1000m for .303/7.62, 1500 or 2000m for 12.7/13.0/.50 and up to 5kms for higher calibers (37mm and more), with 20mm somewhere in between.

Nearly 10km for 7.62 is however not satisfactory and can be used as an exploit, if/when navlights ever get fixed.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:45 PM, Yogiflight said:

That is not correct at least for 20mm and larger caliber. I was shooting the 20mm of our IFV with HE at 2km and you clearly can see the tracers all the time.

And a happy dran drauf drüber to you too, Kamerad ;)

But to be honest - I have no idea how WWII tracers really looked. 

I guess the composition of the tracer component also plays a decisive role...

But of course the calibre matters as well - I fired from 5,56 to 30 and it’s a difference as Night and day

2 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

And a happy dran drauf drüber to you too, Kamerad ;)

The same to you and always stay were the creeks flow:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

But to be honest - I have no idea how WWII tracers really looked. 

I guess the composition of the tracer component also plays a decisive role..

I would guess there shouldn't have been too large changes, but you are right, 'nix gwieß wäss ma net'

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I do agree it need to be fixed.

on a side note, if you manage to slip past enemy air defenses in ground strike, you are immediately given away when you strafe ground targets, which is also another problem with the current system. 

• Upvote 1

This definitely needs fixing. It goes against all that was done in light of the realistic spotting currently implemented.

I do hope it gets fixed ASAP.

• Upvote 3