Spitfires: a few questions on the slow-running cut-out device

343KKT_Kintaro

Hi all. I was recently doing a few tests with the slow-running cut-out device in all 13 variants and subvariants of Spitfires in the game. My suspicion is that, in the cockpit, the slow-running cut-out device is this ring you can see on the two following screenshots. I may be wrong, but if my suspicion is confirmed, then this is a ring the pilot must pull towards himself to make the engine stop.

The first screenshot was taken on board the oldest version of Spitfire MkI in the game (named simply as "Spitfire I" in the list of flyables). All other MkIs in the game present the very same ring, with this tiny metal plate which reads something like "slow run cutout pull" (the plate barely can be read in fact):

210314085653550837.jpg

The second screenshot was taken on board a Spitfire MkIIa as it is in the game. All other MkIIs in the game, and even all the MkVs, present this very same aspect of their corresponding ring and tiny metal plate. A hommage to Maddox Games has been inscribed on the plate but, again, this cannot be easily deciphered:

210314111048941624.jpg

Now I'd like to address some comments and questions to you.

1) Is this ring, present in all Spitfires in the game, the device the pilot must pull towards himself to make the engine stop? is this ring the "Slow-Running Cut-Out"?

2) What you guys read on those two tiny metal plates?

=RS=Stix_09

That bottom picture looks like the name plate has "Maddox Games" written on it, the textures are too low res to see even in game  clearly  what the rest says.

Slow Running Cutout:

The ring yes thats the cutout. I believe there are a few planes that use this including the hurricanes (merlin engines??)

There is key bindings for this under "Aircraft"

image.png.af5feb5bebb95aacd1258f0168d154c1.png

REF: 

SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE. Take off and Landing Guide. | Key Aero

With careful use of the Throttle and Brakes SWERVE your way over to the Parking Bay, keeping a watchful eye out of both sides of the cockpit.

Finally bring the Spitfire into wind and to a halt, then LOCK the BRAKES on the Control Column. Idle the Merlin engine briefly, PULL OUT the SLOW RUNNING CUT OUT (if fitted), holding it extended until the engine stops, or if not, turn the MASTER SWITCH OFF to cut the engine.
All you can now hear is the whirring gyros unwinding behind the instrument panel, and the feint smell of petrol, glycol and oil.
Flick the two MAGNETO SWITCHES down for OFF. PULL the FUELCOCK LEVERS down for OFF. Turn the RT switches OFF. DISCONNECT your RT lead and Oxygen bayonet connection. Release your Sutton Harness. Drop down door hatch, and exit the cockpit.

Not sure if its animated on all planes. But I don't think anyone uses this to turn off the engines as you can just use the fuel cock or magnetos. But I think its the correct procedure to actually shut down the engine ☝️ IRL.

Also found this post. with more info (relevant parts quotes below)

Slow-running Cut-out. (theairtacticalassaultgroup.com)

Re: Slow-running Cut-out.

Hello Ben

Its there for realism. The merlin has a manner of being shut down to avoid problems. I think the lever is attached to the carb and effectively stops it feeding a weak mixture to the engine.

I think the procedure would be something like bringing the aircraft to idle, then shutting off the fuel cock. In the game the effect is pretty much instant but in real life the engine would run on a while longer. As the engine starts to run slow as the fuel run out (of fuel pressure drops - I m not sure), the pilot pulls and holds the Slow Runnig Cutout to stop the dwindling fuel/air mixture from entering the cylinders and thus prevents all sorts of nasties and detonations at the wrong point in the stroke due to a too lean mixture. The Engine then dies off.

Cheers

BOO

Re: Slow-running Cut-out.

This procedure simply empties the fuel line and carburetor bowl downstream from the tank, ostensibly to prevent "Varnish" build up in the jets and other orifices, or to prepare the carburetor for maintenance and inspection without the need to drain it later? (Guessing). It would also remove most water from the line to prevent corrosion in the carburetor while it sits. Like many procedures, it's published in the "book", so we pilots just "Do it".

Remember, this is for historical accuracy ONLY. Those of us who wish to emulate the pilots of the Battle of Britain do not, in any way suggest that these actions are necessary for all players. It's not unlike the over-use of Boost Cutout-OVERRIDE in RAF airplanes... The RAF says you shouldn't, but none of the rest of us say that you cannot run "Through the gate" as you wish.

As players become more practiced in operating the machines, many will incorporate actual, historical checks and procedures, simply for the added challenge. It sort of enhances training with education.

Finally, remember that many players will cut every corner and use every trick, in order to run up a score and win (It is a game, you know). The more power to them... it's that much more gratifying when you beat them while you're using real world techniques

Looks like the Gladiator II also has one

Spoiler

image.png.d0e0383d87bc00094f1af48b3f7195c2.png

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
343KKT_Kintaro
38 minutes ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

That bottom picture looks like the name plate has "Maddox Games" written on it, the textures are too low res to see even in game  clearly  what the rest says.

In the game, Spitfires Mk.II and Mk.V do show this "Maddox Games" plate instead of the historically accurate plate (so cute... I LOVE IT). Spitfires Mk.I in the game do show the historically accurate plate, thus naming the device rather than paying homage to Maddox Game. Same as me, apparently you can't read all what it is inscribed there... Thank you anyway! No problem! I can wait until some developer with access to the full 3D original materials may appear here on this thread and unveils the full texts that are inscribed on those two plates.

Slow Running Cutout:

The ring yes thats the cutout.

Thank you! Indeed this responds to my main question.

There is key bindings for this under "Aircraft"

image.png.af5feb5bebb95aacd1258f0168d154c1.png

Yes, I know, I already use those bindings and they work pretty well in all affected aircraft 😉

Thank you for this fascinating page. If it ever happens that I fly one real Spitfire, at least there's one mentioned procedure on this page I won't apply when ending up by parking this beautiful aircraft: "exit the cockpit"... 🤣

Not sure if its animated on all planes. But I don't think anyone uses this to turn off the engines as you can just use the fuel cock or magnetos. But I think its the correct procedure to actually shut down the engine ☝️ IRL. / Looks like the Gladiator II also has one

I know! The slow-running cut-out buttons are beautifully animated at least in the Gladiators, Beaufighters and Hurricanes. Sadly not animated in the Spitfires... but from my point of view the lack of this specific animation in our Spitfires is accepted because it would be too time consuming for the developers to reallistically animate such a thin and, in addition, articulated ring.

Also found this post. with more info (relevant parts quotes below)

Slow-running Cut-out. (theairtacticalassaultgroup.com)

HOLLY COW!! This is marvelous, it really clarifies a lot the understanding of this device, at least as it is modelled in the game. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much.

By the way... Yes, I do turn my engines off by using the slow-running cut-out button (when available in the cockpit).

Again, thank you my friend, you were of great help.

• Upvote 1