Evening all. Is there a way to change the language of the pilots? I've been flying the P-40 in QMB last few days with desert camo, against desert 109s and Macchis. It seems wrong to only be able to hear Russian radio chatter in a British or American marked plane.

It would be great if the dev's could add a pilot language menu to the plane settings. This sim dedicates so much time to realism, yet you can't fly some British/American planes with the correct language radio chatter. 

6 minutes ago, willeverton said:

This sim dedicates so much time to realism, yet you can't fly some British/American planes with the correct language radio chatter. 

This is the correct langauge, these planes were lend-leased to USSR and in game are "meant to" be used by Soviets.

• Upvote 1

Yes I realise that, but russian pilots never flew in British marked planes with desert camo as in this example. Just saying the option would be nice......If you can change a skin to be a British or american flown plane then why not the pilot language option? 

• Upvote 1

The voice lines used are determined by the aircraft's nationality set by the mission file, not by skin. Since the P-40 was introduced as a lend-lease aircraft for a Russian front module it defaults to soviet. If you want to fly the P-40 with a British or American pilot, you'll need to make a mission for it in the full editor, unless in future they add a nationality setting in the QMB in future, otherwise you'll need to live with it for the time being. 

• Upvote 1

Also British marked planes with desert camo never flew in BoS/BoM or BoBP areas ;) It's all related to "battles" we currently have and I'm sure you are not allowed for desert camo in any career. But I agree that sooner or later, when we get the "battles" with different nations sharing same planes, we will need option like this (*).

(*) Or not see migmadmarine's post.

Edited by TrueGrey

Thanks for the replies. We now have MkII Hurricanes that we will soon be able to fly from England to France. I know the 'battle' will be Normandy, but the ability to fairly closely re-create early war Rhubarb or  Circus missions for example would be greatly enhanced, if you could fly the Hurricane with British radio voices. 

I don't think I would be too confident messing around editing files to change the radio voices.....

• Upvote 1

You may want to try this mod, which also works on MP servers:

You'll still hear tank radio chatter in Russian and German, I don't think the above mod has replacements for tank chatter

1 hour ago, willeverton said:

Thanks for the replies. We now have MkII Hurricanes that we will soon be able to fly from England to France. I know the 'battle' will be Normandy, but the ability to fairly closely re-create early war Rhubarb or  Circus missions for example would be greatly enhanced, if you could fly the Hurricane with British radio voices. 

I don't think I would be too confident messing around editing files to change the radio voices.....

I imagine someone may make a mission pack of those. I know pat intends to include rubarbs in PWCG, so those missions will be in english. 

11 hours ago, TrueGrey said:

This is the correct langauge, these planes were lend-leased to USSR and in game are "meant to" be used by Soviets.

You are mit correct, the other nations skins indicate the use for other nations

The only way to use the Nation specific pilot and language, is to use the FMB not the QMB. There it is possible to select different nations

1 hour ago, 76IAP-Black said:

You are mit correct, the other nations skins indicate the use for other nations

True, but as mentioned before, currently we don't have the proper "BoX". P40 was shipped with BoS and thus was meant to be used in game by the Soviets, english speaking nations came later and the theater where desert P40 was used probably will never come. Skins are just skins, they don't even apply to entire sortie but just player machine (when you don't use external modes/missions).

What I mean is I don't understand the point of the whole thing, will flying desert camo P40 with english voices over BoM/BoS/BoBp map make it any more immersive, even though we are still lacking the most important thing (a proper theater)?

If the change is not a big deal for devs, sure they could give us the freedom to pick the nationality/voice language, otherwise currently I see more things that could get some tweaking, especially if we can change the voices via aforementioned mods/map editor. 

Actually I have an idea, the voices should be defaulted to theater (if they aren't) disregarding the plane, if you play as Allied on western front your pilot and all the communication should be done in English, if you fight on the east it should be defaulted to Russian etc.

59 minutes ago, TrueGrey said:

Actually I have an idea, the voices should be defaulted to theater (if they aren't) disregarding the plane, if you play as Allied on western front your pilot and all the communication should be done in English, if you fight on the east it should be defaulted to Russian etc.

This would be good. Although the theatre may not be correct, you can find maps and seasons which create a similar feel. A summer coastal map could represent North Africa for example, or some bodenplatte maps could be 'used' as Italy. Maybe not accurate but I concentrate on the planes I'm flying against, more than what's on the ground. Accurate radio in this scenario would I believe make for a much more immersive feel. 

I realise this is not using the sim as intended, but the option in game menus without fiddling with file editing would be another plus point in this ever expanding sim!

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, willeverton said:

You will be able to. The voices are set by the nationality in the mission file.

16 hours ago, willeverton said:

I'm sure they will have British voices in BoN... although the Hurricanes will largely have been pulled out of combat by then (the exception might be some night-time intruders? When did they stop? Also the mail Hurricanes... and there was still at least one unit operating Hurricanes during Crossbow, correct?)

One could argue that operation Jubilee was actually part of Normandy... in the sense that it was intended to prepare for opening 'the second front' and was central to doing so. Hurricanes were certainly the major RAF fighter during that operation on the BoN map.