Requesting some love for level-bombing

Hello developers,

I'm guessing all these things are on your radar already, I hope this post gets enough replies to push them up your priority list:

Please let us see the bomb drop interface in the A-20 while it's still on the ground. Not being able to check the wind strength and direction to plan your attack until after takeoff seems like an oversight rather than a feature.

Speaking of the A-20, can we get the bombardier's position? Looking out through that big glazed nose would greatly help navigation and target approach.

Can something be done about bombed buildings looking intact from high up until we're almost too close to change direction?

An optional, more realistic level-bombing interface would be fantastic:

• TAS vs IAS. When flying bombers in IL-2 1946 I liked the challenge of figuring out my True Air Speed (TAS) based on Indicated Air Speed (IAS), altitude, and temperature. There were multiple 3rd party charts and calculators made for the game to help bombers figure out their TAS; perhaps information about this game's maps' temperatures and atmospheric pressures would be enough for someone to make charts for each map here.
  • Altitude above target. It'd be great if the maps had elevation lines to force bombers to calculate the difference between our indicated altitude and the target's altitude.
  • Wind direction. I'm not sure how real bombardiers accounted for wind speed and direction, but the current system with the two dials seems arcadish.

More bombsights. I'm guessing A-20s, B-25s, and maybe Mosquitos on the Western Front used Nordens?

Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

And please fix the bombsight bugging out to the point of being completely unusable. It has been reported for several years now, complete with tracks and recordings! Bombers seriously need some love and attention. :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Leifr said:

And please fix the bombsight bugging out to the point of being completely unusable. It has been reported for several years now, complete with tracks and recordings! Bombers seriously need some love and attention. :(

Are you talking about how it sometimes keeps bouncing up and down? I got into the habit of looking at my bombsight before taking off to check for that bug, but again, it's not currently possible to do that in the A-20.

Edited by WokeUpDead
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, WokeUpDead said:

I'm guessing A-20s, B-25s, and maybe Mosquitos on the Western Front used Nordens?

The Mosquito we will be seeing is the solid nose Mk VI fighter bomber variant, it has no bombsight. The bomber versions did not have Norden sights. I have not seen any reference to RAF Bostons and Mitchells having Norden sights in any Squadron ORBs.

1 hour ago, WokeUpDead said:

More bombsights. I'm guessing A-20s, B-25s, and maybe Mosquitos on the Western Front used Nordens?

The B-25s were used by the RAF, so probably used the Mark XIV.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mollotin said:

it would be nice if u could use bomb sight on bombardier station too. I am able to open bomb sight only at pilot seat. Or am i missing something here?

That's my experience too, and it brings up two more ideas:

If the player is in the bombardier's position looking through the bombsight, then the AI should be restricted from shooting the defensive guns controlled by that bombardier in the Pe-2, Heinkel, and Ju-88

It'd be nice to let the bombardier steer the plane left and right when in auto level-flight and drop the bombs in multi-player; that way the pilot could concentrate on flying the plane to target approach while the bombardier/gunner player focuses on defending the plane and dropping the bombs. Giving/taking back controls could be restricted to the main player/pilot.

15 minutes ago, busdriver said:

The Mosquito we will be seeing is the solid nose Mk VI fighter bomber variant, it has no bombsight. The bomber versions did not have Norden sights. I have not seen any reference to RAF Bostons and Mitchells having Norden sights in any Squadron ORBs.

Ah ok, thanks. But then I'm guessing they had a British bombsight so we'd still get a third bombsight to play with.

Edited by WokeUpDead
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Murleen said:

The B-25s were used by the RAF, so probably used the Mark XIV.

That, or possibly the Sperry bombsight, but I'm not up on what equipment was supplied with Lend-Lease B-25s.

Posted (edited)

One more thing: it's extremely difficult if not impossible for red-green colour-blind people to see which bombs are selected via the little rectangular bomb lights in the bomb-drop interface. Can you make those lights two very different colours? Red and yellow, or blue and yellow, or yellow and white would be fine.

Edited by WokeUpDead
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
13 hours ago, WokeUpDead said:

If the player is in the bombardier's position looking through the bombsight, then the AI should be restricted from shooting the defensive guns controlled by that bombardier in the Pe-2, Heinkel, and Ju-88

The same for the gunner of the Bf 110 E2, who is shooting the rear machine gun, while he is reloading the 20mm guns.

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

That, or possibly the Sperry bombsight, but I'm not up on what equipment was supplied with Lend-Lease B-25s.

Norden were never supplied to the UK, although the tech behind it was eventually shared with the UK.

This was not a problem for the RAF as British bomb sights in '44, although simpler, outperformed the Norden in accuracy.

• Thanks 1

Bomber pilots at level, we are the "forgotten" .... Bodemplatte and Normandy without planes to bomb at level (only Arado and will be restricted on many servers like 262).

The sight of release continues jumping, ...

Although in his day he begged for the position of the navigator, in the A20, it is not in his plans to implement it, they told me .....

The damage caused by 250, 500 1000Kg bombs is laughable .....

Buildings that are intact and then just before dropping the bomb are destroyed, with no time to make a target change ... it's painful

I do not care, it is very clear that level bomber pilots have no place in this simulator of "hunters" ...

greetings and good luck ....

IIwII.......It is what it is     :dash:

Edited by Ala13_Antiguo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Hello Gents,

sorry if I miss the information being somewhere else, this topic came up first in Search about level bombing.

Can anybody tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or is the german level bombing sight a bit bugged? My problem is even if I double and triple check that every setting required is set properly, including altitude (based on QNH and not "nearest friendly base QFE", right), speed, relative wind direction based on the HSI at top left and wind speed in m/s, when I switch to Auto, the tracking speed and direction is off, meaning the crosshair is constantly drifting both vertically, as well as horizontally, which makes the target slipping out from under the crosshair. I'm quite sure it should stay firmly under the crosshair all the way from "target lock" until the bomb drop, if everything is set properly.

Any thoughts?

Edited by -[HRAF]Blade18
3 hours ago, -[HRAF]Blade18 said:

Hello Gents,

sorry if I miss the information being somewhere else, this topic came up first in Search about level bombing.

Can anybody tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or is the german level bombing sight a bit bugged? My problem is even if I double and triple check that every setting required is set properly, including altitude (based on QNH and not "nearest friendly base QFE", right), speed, relative wind direction based on the HSI at top left and wind speed in m/s, when I switch to Auto, the tracking speed and direction is off, meaning the crosshair is constantly drifting both vertically, as well as horizontally, which makes the target slipping out from under the crosshair. I'm quite sure it should stay firmly under the crosshair all the way from "target lock" until the bomb drop, if everything is set properly.

Any thoughts?

Do not use auto mode, only manual.  As far as I know it has never tracked properly vertically.  If still drifting left/right in maual mode, then your wind setting is off somewhere.  Use qmb and start with no wind and bombing assist on and lock down the accuracy.  Then add some wind.

On the old IL2-46, the automatic mode worked great ... on this IL2 G.B. better use manual mode.
  The automatic mode is useless (except for not hitting the Tato) :drink2:...... it is a great "mystery".

(I flew bombers in 46 and it was very accurate.)
regards

The damage from the bombs is pathetic look at this SC1000 crater with 2 halftrack just sitting in it like nothing happened. You have to be ridiculously accurate to have chance to blow up anything even soft targets like trucks, if you take guns just 1 short burst and it is over. Bombs just slow you down.

Il-2_2021_03_23_19_38_11_915.thumb.jpg.fc5636f724eb7011aa1d2796616c5b64.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh don't bother with the big bombs at the moment. Regardless of plane or delivery method really.

Take as many small ones as you can and the number of destroyed targets will increase dramatically.

I can't remember what it was, but something is off with every single type heavier than 250kg. I seem to remember that I've been told it's been a confirmed as a bug by a Dev as well, but that may be wrong on my part.

30 minutes ago, palker4 said:

The damage from the bombs is pathetic look at this SC1000 crater with 2 halftrack just sitting in it like nothing happened. You have to be ridiculously accurate to have chance to blow up anything even soft targets like trucks, if you take guns just 1 short burst and it is over. Bombs just slow you down.

-IMAGE SNIP-

Unfortunately, this is all working as intended according to the development team.

Very uncool.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, palker4 said:

Il-2_2021_03_23_19_38_11_915.thumb.jpg.fc5636f724eb7011aa1d2796616c5b64.jpg

No way anything is wrong with game, it either:

- your aim is bad, aim harder, its yur falt

- net code, lag, ping, server  bad and so on... your ot servers net provider is at falt

- durability values of objects are wrong set by mission maker, its his falt

- historical data shows that SC1000 destroys exactly what it destroys in game, its nobadys falt

- all is ok with bombs its just vocal minority causing big fuss about it, its their falt for having WT arcade expectations on what bombs do

See all ok 😄

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 9:58 PM, CountZero said:

No way anything is wrong with game, it either:

- your aim is bad, aim harder, its yur falt

- net code, lag, ping, server  bad and so on... your ot servers net provider is at falt

- durability values of objects are wrong set by mission maker, its his falt

- historical data shows that SC1000 destroys exactly what it destroys in game, its nobadys falt

- all is ok with bombs its just vocal minority causing big fuss about it, its their falt for having WT arcade expectations on what bombs do

See all ok 😄

I feel you so much man, exactly the points you listed are what people use to try and defend this issue. If somebody claims that any building other than a fortified concrete bunker will withstand a blast of ANY kind of bomb in this game within its literal CRATER I sincerely wish you that one of those bombs lands within 15m of your house ;). Most people who defend this issue simply don't like not being right and try find any argument no matter how irrelevant to discredit your literal objective facts. 

Edited by Jakl
  • Like 1

Any reason in US aircraft we can't have the altitude and airspeed in feet and mph in the bombsight vs metric?

Agree with having the bomber position to see through the glass nose and ability to get to bombsight while on the ground on the A-20.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Any reason in US aircraft we can't have the altitude and airspeed in feet and mph in the bombsight vs metric?

Agree with having the bomber position to see through the glass nose and ability to get to bombsight while on the ground on the A-20.

The A-20 we have is a Lend-Lease model that was fitted with the same bombsight as fitted in the Pe-2.

11 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

The A-20 we have is a Lend-Lease model that was fitted with the same bombsight as fitted in the Pe-2.

Thought that might be the reason.  The other two issues are much more important.

.... In the game, you will achieve this destruction with the 100 and 50 kg bombs, the 250, 500, 1000 kg bombs ..... you will not be able to destroy a single vehicle ... you will only damage it.:rofl:

That video is misleading, it has no scientific evidence ..... it is a montage ...        !!!!    it is clearly a 50 kg bomb  !!!!!   :biggrin::lol:

regards :P

Edited by ALA13_Antiguo