Developer Diary 275 - Discussion

If I may also add my cents, base on real life observation (my time in the Corps, Uh Rah!) the visual damage needs a little bit of tweaking.

• The visual damage made by MG 131/50 cal rounds are about the size of MG 17/.30 cal in real life.
  • The visual damage made by 20mm rounds are about the size of MG 131/50 cal in real life.
  • The visual damage made by 30mm rounds should be 1.5x that of the 20mm round in real life.
Edited by JG7_X-Man
50 minutes ago, JG7_X-Man said:

If I may also add my cents, base on real life observation (my time in the Corps, Uh Rah!) the visual damage needs a little bit of tweaking.

• The visual damage made by MG 131/50 cal rounds are about the size of MG 17/.30 cal in real life.
  • The visual damage made by 20mm rounds are about the size of MG 131/50 cal in real life.
  • The visual damage made by 30mm rounds should be 1.5x that of the 20mm round in real life.

that all depends on the angle of the entry and the round tip, doesn't it ?  At 90 degrees the entry holes are clean and if the tip is the same the holes will barely differ. However, at 45 angle and with different tips (HE vs AP) and the amount of explosives will produce different results compared to the caliber. I suspect the devs will simplify and reduce the variables in the decals dependencies to some formula, we just need to wait and see what that "golden middle" ends up being in the end.

• Like 1

So we get this dynamic visual damage AND your working on improving yet even further the physical damage to systems as well? Do these guys ever sleep???

I would have LOVED to have been in the room when that moment of inspiration hit. How cool that must have been!

Outstanding job by all concerned. Very much looking forward to the dynamic visual damage and greater detail regarding the damage modeling. This sim is beautiful , a great blend of visual and playability.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

It seems to me that DVD will only cause more headaches IMHO.

image.thumb.png.cae9a08d0dec3a2406fa7dfcad08a9e4.png

1. Based on the cutaway below, in the least, the left coolant outlet pipe, coolant return system and the left inlet manifold cover would have been ruptured. This is in addition to the #12 cylinder probable damage. This would have been a wounded bird - and not bad for a single 20mm round.

image.png

2. To me, this is the more critical - as the cutaway below shows:

*38 - Low pressure oxygen bottles. Granted they wouldn't explode ( I think anyway), the pilot will be severally affected by hypoxia but hypoxemia will set in immediately. I am not sure this pilot would have made it back to base. Unless techno chat informed the pilot of the damage and he dropped below 13,000 ft. and popped and opened the canopy.

image.png.3106ee69e110954400403e37d2828e24.png

What if this is just a screenshot of an aircraft that they parked on the ground and then strafed so that they would have some images to use for a dev diary?  Is that still a problem?

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

What if this is just a screenshot of an aircraft that they parked on the ground and then strafed so that they would have some images to use for a dev diary?  Is that still a problem?

I would assume that to be the case.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, Han said:

We're developing a new tech called DVD (DVD means Dynamic Visual Damage)

@Han and this tech called DVA: Dynamic Visual Acuity for differentiate fine details and showing the most relevant differences of moving objects........

Any plans to add this tech to the game???

Edited by Livai
20 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

It seems to me that DVD will only cause more headaches IMHO.

image.thumb.png.cae9a08d0dec3a2406fa7dfcad08a9e4.png

1. Based on the cutaway below, in the least, the left coolant outlet pipe, coolant return system and the left inlet manifold cover would have been ruptured. This is in addition to the #12 cylinder probable damage. This would have been a wounded bird - and not bad for a single 20mm round.

image.png

2. To me, this is the more critical - as the cutaway below shows:

*38 - Low pressure oxygen bottles. Granted they wouldn't explode ( I think anyway), the pilot will be severally affected by hypoxia but hypoxemia will set in immediately. I am not sure this pilot would have made it back to base. Unless techno chat informed the pilot of the damage and he dropped below 13,000 ft. and popped and opened the canopy.

image.png.3106ee69e110954400403e37d2828e24.png

Please be aware though that this tech is visual, it doesn't affect the physical interaction between the projectiles and aircraft and tank parts or systems. We're working on the improvements in the physical damage system as well, but we'll tell you more about that later. 

Edited by CountZero
  • Like 3

Had a quick skim through the posts and it seems like developers are relaying too hard and reinventing the wheel. 
The core game is missing few things:

-we can’t see the pilot shadow from the cockpit, major immersion breaker. 
-newly added features, custom_photo can’t be selected just like we chose with skins, again seems unfinished. 
-I can see that adding random serial number generator was conveniently omitted. it should come with squadron. 
- with regards to DVD again it should mainly based on what we see from the cockpit. Battle damage, bullet holes of canopy, instruments, side panels etc. 

too much on the devs plate it seems,

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
3 minutes ago, [-=BP=-]Slegawsky_VR said:

This provided a giggle. 

It has never, ever come up in my thoughts or the people we fly with.

• Upvote 6

I'm trying to remember if real pilots even cast shadows. I'm not sure I remember the last time I encountered a pilot in real life - it's been a while due to the pandemic.

Edit- they do:

5B3SQFRN3VHQZMLXMXIIZOQSCY.jpg

Edited by unlikely_spider
Shadow research
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, [-=BP=-]Slegawsky_VR said:

It's not immersion breaking at all--if you consider that our pilots are vampires.

Think about it.

We cover every inch of our skin in clothing, including our face with goggles and scarves, to avoid direct sunlight.

We don't cast a reflection in the canopy or instrument glass.

We don't cast shadows.

If Iron Man mode is turned off, we can regenerate after a fiery crash and fly the next day as if nothing happened. Why is it called "Iron Man" mode? Because cold-forged iron is the bane of undead creatures; hence it prevents our regeneration.

You know those excessively pale groundcrew that walk around the base in a daze? Yeah. Those are our thralls, our Renfields.

I could go on, but I think I've provided overwhelming evidence to support my claim.

Edited by oc2209
  • Haha 7
  • Upvote 3

Riddle me this, what is most immersion breaking? 

1. Not being able to see your shadow

2. Seeing your shadow, but not your body

3. Seeing you body, but not being able to move it your arm out of the way to read your instruments? 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 30speed said:

I think the core game is missing the ability to upload the picture of my own face and replace the pilot's visage.

MP servers would be full of Lady Gagas, Trumps, Adolfs and whatever!

I know it's stupid but i would prefer B25, torpedo bombers and such to dip my fps performance instead of damage visuals, pilot shadow, mole and eyebrow generator.

For the latter part i'll just download 40's/ww2 mod for Sims city.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Denum said:

This provided a giggle. 

It has never, ever come up in my thoughts or the people we fly with.

Yeah same here not seeing a pilot shadow has never crossed my mind.

I was at first very excited, but im now not so sure. I hope it is at least the damage visuals somewhat corresponds to the damage.

If I can fly with big hole in the engine (or other critical place) or use my gun in the tank, with the hole through it, it will be strange.

11 hours ago, migmadmarine said:

Riddle me this, what is most immersion breaking? 

1. Not being able to see your shadow

2. Seeing your shadow, but not your body

3. Seeing you body, but not being able to move it your arm out of the way to read your instruments? 

There are mods available and game looks amazing in reverb. Flying an empty plane interacting with environment not being able to see pilot shadow. 
Flare and pistol are great addition especially in reverb. 

1 hour ago, Bernard_IV said:

Release the Spitfire XIV. TAKE MY MONEY Please!!!!!!! 

You know the preorder for Normandy has been open for months right? If you want them to "take your money".... that's a start 😂

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
23 hours ago, 30speed said:

I think the core game is missing the ability to upload the picture of my own face and replace the pilot's visage.

This. 

Honestly at this point without this feature the sim is basically unplayable, I don't know how the devs think we can carry on without it! Instead they waste their time with frivolous features such as new planes and bug fixes. It's an outrage! I will not be playing anymore until this feature is added and without me playing SP the company will certainly feel the financial strain! 

...Yeah, I'm bored and procrastinating tidying up the kitchen.

• Haha 6
On 3/14/2021 at 1:47 PM, JG7_X-Man said:

@RedKestrel Please see above. Note: The Luftwaffe, VVS and RAF choose explosive shells for a reason, to increase the probability off a kill with a fewer rounds and less time on target. The cutaway diagrams show exactly what the shells would have hit if the DVD model is accurate. Base on that logic, this aircraft had a very high probability of not making it back to base. 

While that's true, the shots we see here wouldn't have been much different with AP. Hell, an engine hit in that same spot very well might have punched right into the engine block and taken the engine out entirely.

HE is good at blowing off skin and damaging things at the hit site, but not so good at punching through armor or tougher structures. Aiming is hard, so a glancing hit, or hit to an extremity with an HE shell has a better chance of knocking out something important than AP. That being said, if you get a good gun solution on an enemy, AP rounds will absolutely shred any structures/components they hit.

• Like 1
On 3/16/2021 at 3:45 PM, 30speed said:

you can in the original IL2, why not here? it really puts "YOU" in the game... should be simple.

• Haha 1

Ive always thought the bullet holes  looked like they were left over from il2 1946 ,the upgrade to the damage modeling is much anticipated and welcome by me . Ignore the whiners and carry on ! Great job !

• Upvote 1
On 3/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, 30speed said:

Unless you have the exact same bone structure as the 3D pilot models, it probably won’t look very good.

Marmite - You either love it or hate it......

This is how I see it whenever something new is unveiled & reading through the comments.

Would like to have been around at the time when the wheel was invented to listen to the for & against arguments.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, migmadmarine said:

Or would be a more complicated process, more similar to skinning an aircraft. 

Well no because the plane's shape stays the same regardless of the skin, people's faces are all sorts of different shapes. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Soilworker said:

people's faces are all sorts of different shapes. 

I think the Devs can treat it as a "self esteem boost" feature by giving you an excellent Hollywood facial bone structure.

The idea here is not to be realistic. But to be perfect.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Well no because the plane's shape stays the same regardless of the skin, people's faces are all sorts of different shapes. 

35C39F3D-B219-45F6-AD24-CFFF5C1DC3A6.thumb.jpeg.6ca45477ecc343547092f61de74f9390.jpeg4422BB5F-411D-4D50-A084-395F1D256130.thumb.jpeg.cf2363ea7438d12b906c242650da6102.jpeg

It’s really simple. All you need to do is grow your beard :biggrin:. Then edit your pilot.dds file appropriately such as drawing a beard. 

yup that’s me lol

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 3
On 3/17/2021 at 6:18 PM, dburne said:

Yeah same here not seeing a pilot shadow has never crossed my mind.

I knew there was something that was breaking my immersion. I kept looking up from my computer around my living room and I could never figure it out. 😁

I have been playing video games since way before the big crash; so I am too easily impressed with the visuals. 

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

...juggling five axes that are on fire...

You conveniently cut that out of the picture!

I read 'axes' and immediately thought of a burning throttle quadrant and not, you know, wood axes. Been on the forum too long.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

I knew there was something that was breaking my immersion. I kept looking up from my computer around my living room and I could never figure it out. 😁

For me, it's when I'm in the middle of a dogfight in VR, and the cat jumps in my lap... :scare:

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

For me, it's when I'm in the middle of a dogfight in VR, and the cat jumps in my lap... :scare:

For me it's when my wife says "come here, let me tell you a story about this...let me tell you a story about that...come and look a this...can you do these dishes?..."

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

I don't have a cat, but a 2 1/2 year old who loves airplane. He insist on jumping on and off my lap and touching all the buttons. 

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

For me it's when my wife says "come here, let me tell you a story about this...let me tell you a story about that...come and look a this...can you do these dishes?..."

My wife always prefaces with "are you busy right now." 

• Haha 1
  • Han unpinned this topic