Developer Diary 275 - Discussion

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Yeah, but there was an old tech a long time ago that's due for a comeback.

Bullets Everywhere Tumbling Angularly Matching Altitudes Xerographically, known as BETAMAX. 

Of course of course, but to really increase immersion,  accurate audio from the position of the hit will be essential.  I really hope they grab the open source "8bit Triangulated Reverb/ Angled Coordinate Kinesthetics" program (8 TRACK).  I will commence to rage if this super simple feature is neglected to be included.

• Haha 4
7 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Hooves said:

Of course of course, but to really increase immersion,  accurate audio from the position of the hit will be essential.  I really hope they grab the open source "8bit Triangulated Reverb/ Angled Coordinate Kinesthetics" program (8 TRACK).  I will commence to rage if this super simple feature is neglected to be included.

You guys are thinking too new school. True fathers or the art are looking forward to the implementation of Continuous Uniform Numerically Efficient Impact Formulation Of Ranged Munitions (CUNEIFORM)

I think I need to get back to work now......

• Haha 5
24 minutes ago, 40plus said:

You guys are thinking too new school. True fathers or the art are looking forward to the implementation of Continuous Uniform Numerically Efficient Impact Formulation Of Ranged Munitions (CUNEIFORM)

Our DM complaints will be discovered on fired-clay tiles in a sealed room by Archaeologists thousands of years from now. A sobering thought.

• Haha 3

Looking good! Amazing to see how much this sim constantly improves. I've tried explaining this to the missus as it clearly justifies my continued support... she doesn't get it.

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

You guys are putting a little too much emphasis on that sentence. We have some things in the works, but it's not a major overhaul.

Jason

I really hope you guys give FC some well need attention in this area.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8
3 hours ago, 40plus said:

:o:

Why?..i mean its admirable wanting to get that level of detail but to what end...the sim does so much calculating already that we cant have four engined bombers or the game would grind to a halt, such is the multitude of calculations it has to make...then add this in and its all the more complicated, not to mention all the time and resources that will be wasted bringing this unnecessary addition to the game...resources that could be used on completing BON...i just think the company is being silly now...who needs this...why?...most of the damage that happens to your plane you wont see anyway, and damage to others you will see for an instant at the most...big thumbs down from me...id rather have stuff that IS needed, or stuff fixed that desperately needs fixing...or if the team have so much time on their hands that they can waste it on this nonsense then give TF a hand to bring VR to cliffs of dover!...now THAT would be something!

• Haha 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
43 minutes ago, Tonester said:

Why?..i mean its admirable wanting to get that level of detail but to what end...the sim does so much calculating already that we cant have four engined bombers or the game would grind to a halt, such is the multitude of calculations it has to make...then add this in and its all the more complicated, not to mention all the time and resources that will be wasted bringing this unnecessary addition to the game...resources that could be used on completing BON...i just think the company is being silly now...who needs this...why?...most of the damage that happens to your plane you wont see anyway, and damage to others you will see for an instant at the most...big thumbs down from me...id rather have stuff that IS needed, or stuff fixed that desperately needs fixing...or if the team have so much time on their hands that they can waste it on this nonsense then give TF a hand to bring VR to cliffs of dover!...now THAT would be something!

Leave the working out of what takes how much resources and if it’s worth it or not to the Devs maybe?

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5
41 минуту назад, Tonester сказал:

Pessimism is inappropriate here.  If you are so worried that your computer will not stand up, then improve it.  In your west, computer components are much cheaper than here in Russia, and we feel genuine happiness from this news.  Be glad the game is improving!  For many years, judging by the endless whining, they say that the game will end.  How strange this very end looks when there are more gamers, and the game is better.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, Halon said:

Looking good! Amazing to see how much this sim constantly improves. I've tried explaining this to the missus as it clearly justifies my continued support... she doesn't get it.

I know what you mean 😀

looking good guys 👍

4 hours ago, =13NVO=Eeafanas said:

Pessimism is inappropriate here.  If you are so worried that your computer will not stand up, then improve it.  In your west, computer components are much cheaper than here in Russia, and we feel genuine happiness from this news.  Be glad the game is improving!  For many years, judging by the endless whining, they say that the game will end.  How strange this very end looks when there are more gamers, and the game is better.

My PC is fine...i have no trouble on ultra in VR...dont get me wrong, i love this sim and what the developers have given us over time...its been a stellar effort...i just think that

this is a 'meh' addition...one that really isnt required as the sim looks great now...seems like an awful waste to me for very little return...are you really going to be worried about whether or not your bullet holes look realistic??...if so, well then i apologize, and at the same time feel sorry for you

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
13 минут назад, Tonester сказал:

if so, well then i apologize, and at the same time feel sorry for you

Скрытый текст

Very nice. And I feel sorry for you, because you cannot understand the most basic things, that the Il-2 sturmovik team is very small and of course it will not make updates as quickly as it would like.

B7BE4B84-B9A5-48E5-95E2-FBA8336CF349.jpeg

Edited by =13NVO=Eeafanas
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Tonester said:

this is a 'meh' addition...one that really isnt required as the sim looks great now...seems like an awful waste to me for very little return...are you really going to be worried about whether or not your bullet holes look realistic??...if so, well then i apologize, and at the same time feel sorry for you

Personally speaking, very definitely yes! People have been expressing dissatisfaction with the current 2-d decal damage markings since the very start.

If it doesn't matter much to you, then fine. I never cease to be surprised by the variety of opinions on the forum. I just accept now that what might be important to me can be of no consequence to someone else. Suggest you do the same.

But after 4 pages we have had an overwhelmingly positive reaction....and two people who don't much care for the idea.

• Upvote 9

Great update guys, thank you very much, really appreciated.:cool:

I have to confess, my first thoughts were why another visual addition when other things warrant more attention, that said though this decal system does actually look very good, it seems to have a 3d effect and portrays the damage superbly, it certainly will improve the current one and hopefully without too much of a hit on the frame rate as I like many others do not have the resources to upgrade at the moment so most of this high end visual stuff could be lost to us sadly. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

DVD can be especially useful for ww1 pilots because now with only 3 level static visual damage I can't know if my next +3 G maneuver will break the wings off my plane. So many times I saw literally 3 small bullets hols on my wing canvas and unfortunetly lost my wings in next +3 G manuver do to damage which i can't see. DVD would help me judge properly amount of damge took my wings and see if spar or cable was hit and save my vlife. This beside enhanced immersion is very important in combat.

• Upvote 3

@Developers

I very much appreciate the continous work to enhance this Simulation and bring more and more realistic looks to the models, the envoirement and the in-game feeling :)

I have a question regarding the damage models, are this new layers and effects means a total new normal map damage layer, so every skin needs a new one, or you implement that in other way?

Hello! 

This seems very promising. My only reservation to it is the logical worry that like always this is an addition to the workload of the graphic system of the PC.

Is this affordable to any machines?! Or is this a welcome addition to the new powerful PC's and a possible bunder to the not-so-old one that shall force an upgrade?!

But in any situation, it seems a great idea. 

18 hours ago, Tonester said:

The effects might be a little less noticeable on planes while they are in flight, but should be very noticeable on tanks. With the improvements already announced for ground effects, and now this, I think it is great to see advancements like these to the game :good:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Developers, don't let the bastards get you down!

These new developments look incredible and I appreciate that the complexity of the modelling comes with technical challenges! Congrats on continuing to push the boat out and keeping out of the comfort zone, just to get us more and more quality stuff!

Much Love,

Tipsi

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 3/12/2021 at 11:47 PM, =13NVO=Eeafanas said:

It really isn't reasonable to expect people to have the resources to upgrade their hardware - and there are lots of people in North America who can't afford to upgrade (through no fault of their own). IMHO, it is important for the launcher to give people the option to stay with an earlier version if the new patch substantially increases system requirements. The problem with an auto-update system is that it can force someone who is enjoying a sim they purchased from continuing to enjoy their purchase. This happened to me once with Rise of Flight - I lost the ability to fly at all after a patch (albeit my machine was slightly under the official system requirements - but it was still a blow).

That said, they've done a remarkable job of keeping system requirements stable while expanding features. I'm still using the computer I got for Cliffs of Dover (back in 2012) although my replacement video card is maybe 20% faster than the first one I got. I have some stutter over the cities in BoBP and I think I might be gradually losing the ability to engage in time acceleration - but overall it is pretty impressive that they've managed to keep it that stable.

I am shocked to find that actually GETTING a new video card is an issue, not due to cost, but availability.

I've put myself on a waiting list to get one, they'll contact me when it's available.

It points out the general superiority of a desktop computer, it's easier to replace components and upgrade without having to buy a whole new computer...

This feature looks and sounds great to me.  I really appreciate the forward thinking of this team and some of this thread reminds me of the hand-wringing that went on about either Development or PC resources after other features like pilot physiology were announced.  Yet here we are with development timelines intact and users running on the same systems they've been using for years.   Relax folks, this isn't MFS2020, this team knows what they're doing.

As for the worries that this delays other efforts, it's a different workstream so it's a bit like saying you can't go mow the lawn because the wife is washing dishes.  Can't blame a guy for trying I guess...

55 minutes ago, 01Wingchaps said:

I am shocked to find that actually GETTING a new video card is an issue, not due to cost, but availability.

I've put myself on a waiting list to get one, they'll contact me when it's available.

It points out the general superiority of a desktop computer, it's easier to replace components and upgrade without having to buy a whole new computer...

One of our group of miscreants has been trying to get a new video card to replace his twin 1060s for months now.  He wants a 3000 series and there are none out there.  Thank you bitcoin miners.  Farging bastiges.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

One of our group of miscreants has been trying to get a new video card to replace his twin 1060s for months now.  He wants a 3000 series and there are none out there.  Thank you bitcoin miners.  Farging bastiges.

I used to kick myself for buying a new video card six months before the new ones came out. If I had waited to buy, I would probably not even be able to get the last-generation one I got for a decent price, much less the new cards.

I still want 4 engine bombers. I’d be happy with AI and used on certain career missions and instant action. 

and maybe a special intercept mode where one side can play as gunners and the other interceptors. Would having 16 B-24s being intercepted by 4-8 fighters really be that taxiing with modern CPUs?

On 3/12/2021 at 10:21 PM, =420=Syphen said:

I don't think most sims do props right.  IRL, I don't see the prop except for very particular lighting conditions or directions when I'm sitting behind it. Most sim props are WAAAAAY too obvious.  I've got nice painted tips on my plane's prop and I can assure you, it doesn't produce a visible distinct ring. 

The DVD update looks great! Can't wait to it in action. 

The planes I flew did not have painted tips so I cannot confirm this. But I made many large RC flying planes. I always painted the tips of the propellers yellow, because you would very well see the colored ring which allowed you to stay clear from the propeller. These are planes where you have people around and myself I had sometimes to put my hand in the vicinity of the propeller as it was turning. The large propellers are often black and made of carbon with razor thin edges, they will cut through hand and fingers and not loose a beat (60-100 cc size engines). So that colored ring is an excellent visual way to see where not to put your hand or anything else.

It seems to me that DVD will only cause more headaches IMHO.

image.thumb.png.cae9a08d0dec3a2406fa7dfcad08a9e4.png

1. Based on the cutaway below, in the least, the left coolant outlet pipe, coolant return system and the left inlet manifold cover would have been ruptured. This is in addition to the #12 cylinder probable damage. This would have been a wounded bird - and not bad for a single 20mm round.

image.png

2. To me, this is the more critical - as the cutaway below shows:

*38 - Low pressure oxygen bottles. Granted they wouldn't explode ( I think anyway), the pilot will be severally affected by hypoxia but hypoxemia will set in immediately. I am not sure this pilot would have made it back to base. Unless techno chat informed the pilot of the damage and he dropped below 13,000 ft. and popped and opened the canopy.

image.png.3106ee69e110954400403e37d2828e24.png

Edited by JG7_X-Man
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 4
19 minutes ago, JG7_X-Man said:

It seems to me that DVD will only cause more headaches IMHO.

image.thumb.png.cae9a08d0dec3a2406fa7dfcad08a9e4.png

What am I missing here? Why are those two damage points circled?

Just now, RedKestrel said:

What am I missing here? Why are those two damage points circled?

@RedKestrel Please see above. Note: The Luftwaffe, VVS and RAF choose explosive shells for a reason, to increase the probability off a kill with a fewer rounds and less time on target. The cutaway diagrams show exactly what the shells would have hit if the DVD model is accurate. Base on that logic, this aircraft had a very high probability of not making it back to base. 

Edited by JG7_X-Man
4 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I had been preparing for an upgrade to 3060. It is possible to sell my used card for $300 only to buy for 1500, provided one appears in 3 weeks time. No. 

• Han unpinned this topic