Developer Diary 275 - Discussion

So if I am reading this right, the way to bring DVD to it's full potential is to release the bottleneck off of multiplayer (netcode or whatever it is) and then we can have better DVD that can be at parity in SP or MP.

So Jason confirmed more multiplayer support in 2021, thx you jason. ❤️

This is what I beleve by selectively reading, do not prove me wrong, don't crush my dreams

Edited by Enigma89
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

We have some things in the works, but it's not a major overhaul.

Honestly, it doesn't need to be a major overhaul for me, some small improvements or detailing would be enough for me.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Like 1

That’s a nice damage visualization feature you got there... would be a shame if someone used it to make another tank expansion!

edit: no wait it wouldn’t be a shame, that would be great!

Edited by Asgar
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

I wouldn't count on that :) I've flown the P-39 and just used the 0.50s to test (as they are mounted on the engine - like on Italian, Russian, and German fighters) as a test. I can use them very effectively and they're more effective than the Breda but maybe slightly weaker than the Mg-131 and UB (as one would expect). So, it fits with the other heavy machine guns (and those were historically weaker than cannons).

Honestly, I think the issue that people have is stemming from the lack of multiple convergence points for the wing mounted guns - and that would require an extensive rework of the convergence system (perhaps throwing out player selected convergences entirely and switching to pre-set historical convergences).

I mean, I was making a flippant joke but ok.

3 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

That's an interesting detail too

Hmm, " OP*MD " or " OP*MB", the master sent a new enigma to us? Praise the day!

41 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Not sure people are really comprehending how big this is. 

This is a huge step forward, along the lines of pilot physiology. 

Agree. This really is very 😎.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Retnek said:

Hmm, " OP*MD " or " OP*MB", the master sent a new enigma to us? Praise the day!

OP MD

I dug through operation names and didn't find anything 

Closest guess is Operation Midway :D

I hope the P51 pilot got shot up whilst the canopy was open. Otherwise, I feel, he'd be very much dead indeed.

image.png.59c687282caee087e14204e2884fdae0.png

unless the round just tickled his nose? 😄

Edited by 30speed
4 minutes ago, 30speed said:

I hope the P51 pilot got shot up whilst the canopy was open. Otherwise, I feel, he'd be very much dead indeed.

image.png.59c687282caee087e14204e2884fdae0.png

unless the round just tickled his nose? 😄

Never turn down a free nose job, that's what I always say.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Denum said:

OP MD
I dug through operation names and didn't find anything 
Closest guess is Operation Midway 😄

That's easy now: On Pentecost Midway Delivered

The new tech looks very promising.

Curious about the particular holes in the P-51: are the smaller ones 7.92mm, while the larger are 20mm AP? That's my guess, anyway. 

Right now I'm most interested in seeing how the Yak-9T's HE round will look; as well as, say, combined hits from an Me-262 in a small area.

Also of interest would be a Hurricane (12 gun mod) or a Thunderbolt getting a concentrated burst at close range.

1 hour ago, Vastarien said:

This is great!

But please consider new propeller effects too, as they are now they look ancient in comparison to the rest.

Post some examples of good propeller effects please. I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

50 minutes ago, -332FG-Eggnog said:

The three-dimensionality of those damage marks is mind-blowing, I have no idea how you're doing it. Straight magic. Beautiful work as always, thanks for sharing!

Parallax decals. It will be interesting to see if they've gone deffered with decals.

1 hour ago, [1Tac]DisCHQ said:

Great addition to the game, any idea when to expect this to hit live? Together with the proposed decal changes teased for the end of the year?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time we have ever seen a 1 for 1 visual damage model in a flight sim?

Do you consider War Thunder a sim? Because that is probably the best damage modeling in any flight game outside of beamNG - and beam is the best in some ways and terrible in others.

• Confused 1
53 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

You guys are putting a little too much emphasis on that sentence. We have some things in the works, but it's not a major overhaul.

Jason

Always happy to see work done on FM and DM regardless of size. 

Plus we're all just foaming at the mouth after a week of speculation in other threads. 

Hello freaks,

I am very impressed again and it is just a pleasure to play TC. I'm geade creating a single mission with a lonely tank on field posts and I have to say that the AI is reacting increasingly well. Every new attempt at play is different and the AI makes it exciting. 

If this new technology also works in the event of artillery impacts in the field and leaves the corresponding impact marks there, it would be fascinating and would improve the appearance of the game in the field with tc.

Good luck

Guenther :good:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Ya the idea is not new of course, but the guys had a moment of inspiration and ingenuity. All credit to Han, Sergey and DF for assisting us.

Jason

Sometimes the ambitions which take the longest to realise are the sweetest! It definitely is a real accomplishment to see this tech.

1 hour ago, Freycinet said:

This DVD technology is pretty good, but I am disappointed that you didn't go for the much more modern damage visualization technology known as "Bullets Leave Unusual Ruts and Impairments" ("BLURAI")

Frey how could you suggest such an outdated tech?  Everyone knows the proper way to do this would be to leverage the Ground breaking tech "Latency Augmented Strike Effect Remodeling" Coupled with  "Distributed Impact Strike Composites"    (LASERDISC)..

Shame Frey, Shame.

• Haha 11
24 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Hooves said:

Frey how could you suggest such an outdated tech?  Everyone knows the proper way to do this would be to leverage the Ground breaking tech "Latency Augmented Strike Effect Remodeling" Coupled with  "Distributed Impact Strike Composites"    (LASERDISC)..

Shame Frey, Shame.

Yeah, but there was an old tech a long time ago that's due for a comeback.

Bullets Everywhere Tumbling Angularly Matching Altitudes Xerographically, known as BETAMAX. 

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Ya the idea is not new of course, but the guys had a moment of inspiration and ingenuity. All credit to Han, Sergey and DF for assisting us.

Jason

ETA!

Looking good!  When a bullet or shell is depicted entering an aircraft fuselage or wing, will there also be a corresponding representation of it exiting on the other side or is it one side only?  I’m mostly curious about this for the Flying Circus aircraft. 

3 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Simply superb. I would never have guessed!

If they have different hit marks for if the round is head on or a glancing blow, this will be hyper real! (They did mention ricochet AP rounds) If it's just circular penetration holes whatever the angle of impact (I'm thinking of a bullet coming from your 6 o clock hitting the upper wing surface for example) then it won't be as realistic but still it would be a good addition.

I wondered the same thing when first viewing the P-51 pictures. But, I can't imagine this team creating these special effects and not going at least as far as representing bullet hits on an angle. I'm sure there are limits but these guys rarely disappoint us with their magic.

• Like 2

Just another lovely Friday surprise from our dear Devs.

Good looking damage but I still like seeing my P51's going down in flames. :biggrin:

The tanks - look like it is more of a case of "meh, is that all you got?"

All excellent news, but let me rant a little here.

All this complex visual tech (DVD), when we cannot have yet more than 4 craters staying after a bombing run.

When you did a bombing run on an airfield and finally after a few seconds your airfield is brand new, that's not really what I would say high quality immersive visual effect.

And changing this does not need any major revolutionary technology. All is there. Just set a parameter for how many like min, average, max or whatever you like.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7
1 hour ago, LizLemon said:

Post some examples of good propeller effects please. I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

As they are now propellers feel too static and flat, not very responsive to throttle inputs and seem somewhat low on polygons and definition. The painted tips should produce a distinct ring but that is not the case now. Another admittedly minor thing (which otherwise is in CloD) is that when time is slowed down propellers are not, they appear the same. I won't post here competitors' videos but they can be found easily on YouTube. It's something that is almost always in your sight so I think it should be given some attention.

• Confused 1
12 minutes ago, Vastarien said:

As they are now propellers feel too static and flat, not very responsive to throttle inputs and seem somewhat low on polygons and definition. The painted tips should produce a distinct ring but that is not the case now. Another admittedly minor thing (which otherwise is in CloD) is that when time is slowed down propellers are not, they appear the same. I won't post here competitors' videos but they can be found easily on YouTube. It's something that is almost always in your sight so I think it should be given some attention.

I don't think most sims do props right.  IRL, I don't see the prop except for very particular lighting conditions or directions when I'm sitting behind it. Most sim props are WAAAAAY too obvious.  I've got nice painted tips on my plane's prop and I can assure you, it doesn't produce a visible distinct ring. 

The DVD update looks great! Can't wait to it in action. 

• Upvote 1

Looking fabulous! Can‘t wait having this in the game.

Jason, I have to say that it really impresses me how you make this sim better. Not only where you match the competition (that is the easy part) but where you make another step ahed of where you are leading the field.

Awesome job really, from all of you guys!

19 minutes ago, =420=Syphen said:

I don't think most sims do props right.  IRL, I don't see the prop except for very particular lighting conditions or directions when I'm sitting behind it. Most sim props are WAAAAAY too obvious.  I've got nice painted tips on my plane's prop and I can assure you, it doesn't produce a visible distinct ring. 

The DVD update looks great! Can't wait to it in action. 

Yes, that other I guess is too obvious, still it doesn't feel right at all as it is. The new damage decals are absolutely welcome though.

Very ambitious project.

I can see myself shooting down a whole GB/FC planeset after the feature is applied.  The light performance hit thing is an extremely important part of making it work.

• Han unpinned this topic