Developer Diary 275 - Discussion

Great news and looks very cool.

Exciting to see pictures of this new innovation and to read that you will continue to improve the DM as well.

Top work as always Dev Team, I hope you all have a great weekend. 

Excellent work on the damage visuals. Also looks like the lettering/numbering system is coming along nicely as well. Looking forward to all of this releasing. 

Edited by =AW=Q_Walker
  • Upvote 1

An interesting historical note: The CFS team and another developer had tried something similar around 2000 and people asked Oleg about this... so some people were asking about whether this was technically feasible twenty years ago - and now it is being realised! Pretty cool.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1CGS
Just now, Avimimus said:

An interesting historical note: The CFS team and another developer had tried something similar around 2000 and people asked Oleg about this... so some people were asking about whether this was technically feasible twenty years ago - and now it is being realised! Pretty cool.

Ya the idea is not new of course, but the guys had a moment of inspiration and ingenuity. All credit to Han, Sergey and DF for assisting us.

Jason

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 11

Simply superb. I would never have guessed!

If they have different hit marks for if the round is head on or a glancing blow, this will be hyper real! (They did mention ricochet AP rounds) If it's just circular penetration holes whatever the angle of impact (I'm thinking of a bullet coming from your 6 o clock hitting the upper wing surface for example) then it won't be as realistic but still it would be a good addition.

WOW this is big move towards enhancing game immersion. Inpatient to see it in the action.  Maybe someday particles would be  cheap and we will see dynamic and  real scale  smoke and dust left behind destruction made by air and ground forces in the battlefield. 

This DVD technology is pretty good, but I am disappointed that you didn't go for the much more modern damage visualization technology known as "Bullets Leave Unusual Ruts and Impairments" ("BLURAI")

• Haha 8

Always happy to hear about DM improvements - especially if it pertains to more visually realistic 3D damage effects (similar to what Il-2 CoDB/DWT currently does).  As an owner of ALL available Il-2 GB products, I'm deeply invested in this ever improving IP.

• Upvote 1

“New tech” DVD.  Thanks cool, but I am waiting for the new VHS or Beta.  I know these two technologies are similar, with one having mass appeal but the other having higher quality.  Time will tell. 

35 minutes ago, Asgar said:

How about „this customer“ tries to actually read the post and doesn’t just look at the pretty pictures ... it is mentioned right in the text

30 minutes ago, FlyingShark said:

It's right there in the DD: "We're working on the improvements in the physical damage system as well, but we'll tell you more about that later.".

Have a nice day.

:salute:

It says NOTHING in this particular DD about what I'm talking about

FlyingShark:  I'm not talking about the physical damage associated with the visual effects discussed here.

Asgar (and those that thumbed up his snarky response):  How about you actually read and understand the post you are responding to before you post snarky "smart" comments in response.

There's a reason I tend to not interact on these forums much.....it's just too exhausting

• Confused 1

now this is a small step in the game development (relatively) but a giant leap in realistic presentation.  My level of excitement this year for the game has tripled! Kudos, devs!

The amount of time I'll spend on studying every hit/impact on the airframe post mission will be enormous.

Seriously can't wait!!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, BM357_TinMan said:

It says NOTHING in this particular DD about what I'm talking about

FlyingShark:  I'm not talking about the physical damage associated with the visual effects discussed here.

OK, sorry.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• 1CGS
49 minutes ago, BM357_TinMan said:

I mean, yeah, this kind of stuff is cool (rain effects etc) but, [dead horse]  resources focused more on systems modeling would be much more appreciated by this customer

Different departments. One does not affect the other. This is a visual thing. Engineering does the other.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 10

I am happy to see this is in the works as I have NEVER(but never complained about them either)been happy with the damage decals in GBS. CLOD has always been the high water mark concerning damage effects displayed on most of their planes, but now finally it looks as if GBS may surpass CLOD and claim the crown. Keep up the good work Team and I hope that this new tech performs as good as it already looks without crippling the performance in sim.:good:

S!Blade<><

22 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Ya the idea is not new of course, but the guys had a moment of inspiration and ingenuity. All credit to Han, Sergey and DF for assisting us.

Jason

Is this expected around the same time as decal system? 

Its a pretty clever addition for sure 

1 hour ago, BM357_TinMan said:

I mean, yeah, this kind of stuff is cool (rain effects etc) but, [dead horse]  resources focused more on systems modeling would be much more appreciated by this customer

I think what you are looking for can be found in the red text below. My take on that comment  is they will have to develop those systems in more detail to enable physical damage to be modelled.

"Please be aware though that this tech is visual, it doesn't affect the physical interaction between the projectiles and aircraft and tank parts or systems. We're working on the improvements in the physical damage system as well, but we'll tell you more about that later. "

Edited by bzc3lk
  • 1CGS
3 minutes ago, bzc3lk said:

I think what you are looking for can be found in the red text below.

"Please be aware though that this tech is visual, it doesn't affect the physical interaction between the projectiles and aircraft and tank parts or systems. We're working on the improvements in the physical damage system as well, but we'll tell you more about that later. "

You guys are putting a little too much emphasis on that sentence. We have some things in the works, but it's not a major overhaul.

Jason

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

Wow, the visual damage looks really good! Both the larger tank hits as well as the smaller caliber hits on the Mustang.

Sounds like it's a lot of work to implement though, very glad to see the team figured out a way to do it dynamically.

Looking forward to experiencing it first hand in the sim.

I really like it.

I see the next steps: choosing ammo belts and ... TC2. If they are going to implement this in the long run ...  :acute:there must be a reason to be around that long, right? :music:

15 minutes ago, bzc3lk said:

11 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

You guys are putting a little too much emphasis on that sentence. We have some things in the works, but it's not a major overhaul.

Jason

"We have some things in the works, but it's not a major overhaul."

This is excellent news!

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • Haha 14
  • Upvote 1
  • Han unpinned this topic