Boost and Tempest, Spitfire and Hurricane

76SQN-Bulldog

76SQN-Bulldog

S!

Getting some training in the Tempest, Spitfire and Hurricane. Now, if I fly at cruising speed only and activate boost, for how long can I use it? Can I use it in combat flight? If so, how long, etc.? I tried this evening in the Hurricane and the engine was damaged fairly quickly in cruising.

Apologies for the basics as I am mostly a Bf 109 jockey and I'd like the best out of them.

Bulldog

RedKestrel
2 hours ago, IV./JG51-Bulldog said:

S!

Getting some training in the Tempest, Spitfire and Hurricane. Now, if I fly at cruising speed only and activate boost, for how long can I use it? Can I use it in combat flight? If so, how long, etc.? I tried this evening in the Hurricane and the engine was damaged fairly quickly in cruising.

Apologies for the basics as I am mostly a Bf 109 jockey and I'd like the best out of them.

Bulldog

You can check the technical specs in game at the map screen for the plane you are flying. Each of those planes has different settings.

Generally with RAF planes there is a 5 minute setting (this is max all out) and a 1 hour 'climb' setting, and then a max continuous that lets you go forever. In the tech chat this gets shown as 'boosted' mode, 'combat' mode, and 'continuous' mode

I think with the spitfires there is a difference in engine endurance when using the 150 octane fuel.

76SQN-Bulldog

Thanks! Does the Tiffy have a boost button?

Will try later.

Bulldog

RedKestrel
1 hour ago, IV./JG51-Bulldog said:

Thanks! Does the Tiffy have a boost button?

Will try later.

Bulldog

I'm not sure. Typhoon isn't out just yet. I believe that it doesn't have a separate boost-button. Tempest and Spitfire also don't have a boost button for war emergency power. The American planes in Bodenplatte all have that to activate water injection in their engines. 

I think the only plane in the RAF that has a 'boost' button in the sim right now is the Hurricane Mk II. The rest just go into 'boosted' mode when you are at max throttle and RPM.

I honestly can't remember exactly how it shows up in the tech chat, I have that turned off. I just use the instruments for RPM/Boost. And yeah, RAF planes are a little confusing because instead of using mm/hG or inches/hG, they use 'pounds of boost' to measure engine power output. 

76SQN-Bulldog

Sorry, I meant the Tempest! 

CountZero
1 hour ago, IV./JG51-Bulldog said:

Sorry, I meant the Tempest! 

No boost button, going to emergancy mode is max power.

If you look at spec page for airplane it says:

Engine modes:
Max Cruising power (unlimited time): 3150 RPM, boost +4.5
Climb power (up to 1 hour): 3700 RPM, boost +7
Combat power (up to 5 minutes): 3700 RPM, boost +9

In game in technochat that 3 mods are named Continuous, Combat and Emergancy modes, no Boost button.

Also to fully recover that 5 minutes in emergancy mode you have to fly combat or cotinuous mode 15min. I think its same ratio on all british engines in game, if you use 1 min of any mode you have to wait 3x that to recover it.

Edited by CountZero

rogueblade
On 3/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, RedKestrel said:

I think the only plane in the RAF that has a 'boost' button in the sim right now is the Hurricane Mk II. 

So if I'm at max throttle and rpm in the Hurricane, am I not at max boost until I press the boost button? How does it work exactly; what if I'm not at max throttle+rpm and then press boost, what exactly is it doing?

Edited by rogueblade

RedKestrel
3 minutes ago, rogueblade said:

So if I'm at max throttle and rpm in the Hurricane, am I not at max boost until I press the boost button? How does it work exactly; what if I'm not at max throttle+rpm and then press boost, what exactly is it doing?

Yeah you have to press the WEP/Boost button to increase the manifold pressure to max. If you're not already at full throttle then it wonts boost you to max.

rogueblade
2 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Yeah you have to press the WEP/Boost button to increase the manifold pressure to max. If you're not already at full throttle then it wonts boost you to max.

So, you have to press it first, then increase throttle to max to get the full benefit?

RedKestrel
Just now, rogueblade said:

So, you have to press it first, then increase throttle to max to get the full benefit?

I always just max out throttle and RPM and then push the button. When you push the button it unlocks the extra HP in the engine, until you press it again it's 'on', so it doesn't matter in what order you do it. 
But I always go - when increasing, RPM first, then Throttle, then boost. Then to reduce, I turn off the boost, throttle back, and then reduce RPM. In a real engine if you drop RPM too much but keep your throttle up you can harm it. But there is no consequence I think for this in-game.

• Upvote 1