CUJO_New Build Gaming Rig (Help me finish it off please)

OK this is what I've got so far:

1. Lian LI Lancool II Mesh RGB Full Tower Computer Case - Black

2. Gigabyte P850GM 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

3. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Matisse 3.6GHz 8-Core AM4 Processor / Wraith Prism Cooler (came with the processor)

4. MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk WiFi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard

---------------------------------------------------------------

aaaand I need to finish it off :)

Not too far to go but any suggestions for memory/drives/video card etc etc are appreciated...not really looking to break the bank here, but I'm about to give up hope on getting a video card - I may just get a decent holdover card, I don't know.

Anyway...thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Edit: this rig is primarily for IL2 and FS2020 and the like - I have a Micro Center not too far from me so I usually just drive in there and pick stuff up.

Edited by CUJO_1970

I am running the same computer case with additional fans at the bottom. Really well ventilated case with lots of thoughtful design features. Great choice!

Patriot Viper RAM is well worth a look (4k or 4.4kMhz) if you are only intending to fit 16 Gb (2 x 8Gb) should be able to pick it up for about $100 U.S. or less.

Are you intending to use a recent VR headset for IL2 etc.?

If so, you can easily spend more on the GPU than you have spent on the rest of the computer :(

Totally agree with Chili.

The only issue you have, along with an awful lot of people around the world, is getting a graphics card. 

There are real issues there, what with a shortage of DDR6 and Bitcoin booming again, GFX cards are like gold dust. 

I've been trying to get a 3080 since they were "released" last year and still no where near getting one!

14 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

3. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Matisse 3.6GHz 8-Core AM4 Processor / Wraith Prism Cooler (came with the processor)

Replace by Ryzen 5600X, a better gaming CPU with similar price.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

I am running the same computer case with additional fans at the bottom. Really well ventilated case with lots of thoughtful design features. Great choice!

Glad to hear it - everyone seems to love that case. Mine is sitting in my office just waiting lol. What fans did you use at the bottom?

For memory I was planning on 32 gig Corsair Vengeance 3200 (2X16) or G.Skill Trident Z.

I don't currently plan on doing any V/R but who knows what the future holds...

Edited by CUJO_1970
16 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

What fans did you use at the bottom?

The local shop that I visited had a special on MSI 120mm RGB Gaming Fan 3 packs so I just picked up one of them and used two fans out of it. They do the job and I am really impressed with how quiet the case is. Because the case has such good ventilation I seldom have the fans running over 30% so that keeps it really quiet.

Personally, I think VR is a "Must Have".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Glad to hear it - everyone seems to love that case. Mine is sitting in my office just waiting lol. What fans did you use at the bottom?

For memory I was planning on 32 gig Corsair Vengeance 3200 (2X16) or G.Skill Trident Z.

I don't currently plan on doing any V/R but who knows what the future holds...

Be careful adding more fans - more isn’t necessary better. You can inadvertently cause turbulence that actually hinders cooling. 

• Upvote 1
On 3/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, CUJO_1970 said:

Not too far to go but any suggestions for memory/drives/video card etc etc are appreciated...not really looking to break the bank here, but I'm about to give up hope on getting a video card - I may just get a decent holdover card, I don't know.

Anyway...thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

15 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

Personally, I think VR is a "Must Have".

I just finished putting together a mid range PC for IL-2. I opted for my primary SSD (Solid State Drive) to be on the motherboards' M2 slot... lightning quick, quicker than SATA 3 (The kind of SSD that takes a cable from the motherboard and occupies a drive bay.) SSD's are getting much cheaper, go for a SSD for windows and IL-2 :  say 500 Gb and you can then have a second SSD on a SATA 3 connection or a mechanical Hard Disk Drive (1 Tb or whatever)

With RAM, I believe you can get RAM that is designed for use with AMD's processors / motherboards, 3600 mhz and above is possible 'out of the box', I believe. I have an Intel CPU and MBoard so had to go for 2666 Mhz DDR4. Beware, my RAM was running at 2133 Mhz out of the box, I had to go in to my BIOS and enable XMP (extreme memory profile) which had only 1 preset :  2666 Mhz (which ran smoothly btw) I had the option to manually configure the RAM with an overclock, but just kept on getting 'blue screens' and crashes.

I am guessing that AMD specific RAM will have higher settings as XMP profiles (which are foolproof), can anyone confirm?

If, like me, you are on a budget, it is worth shopping around for parts on Ebay. I got 32 Gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 Mhz DDR4 for £75 and picked up a new 480 Gb M2 NVMe SSD for £65

If you are looking for a decent graphics card for MSFS2020 then I would spend as much as you can afford as it eats graphics cards for breakfast, or so I hear.

@RAAF492SQNOz_Steve was right, I spent about £650 on my PC and then £660 on a used RTX 2080 ti 11Gb. I would imagine that second hand graphics card prices are cheaper in the States. For MSFS 2020 I reckon you should get a RTX 2080 ti or RTX 3070 or above. The standard RTX 2080 has only 8Gb of VRAM which will get munched by FS2020. An RTX 3080 would be better with 10Gb, but the waiting list is long. For IL-2, if you got an RTX 2080 you would be future proofed and if you do end up trying VR it would run it well. I could run an Oculus Rift CV1 VR Headset on a GTX 1060 6Gb, but I had to opt for 'balanced' settings and I never tried Multiplayer as I was told it would be a slideshow with that 1060. Once you try VR it's difficult to go back to 2D. It can be an awesome experience.

If I were in your shoes I would get an RTX 2070 or RTX 2080 second hand, as a 'holdover card'. Or maybe an AMD graphics card?

That's all for my dissertation on IL-2 computer upgrades, let me know what mark I get :P

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

One more  thumb up for Zen 3. I got 40fps going from zen 2 to zen 3. 

Uh-oh Jaws has arrived.

Everybody look busy! 😀

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

M2 slot... lightning quick, quicker than SATA 3

M2 is just the connector. It can be NVMe or SATA3 as well. I have 2TB M2 Sata3 and it works well engouh for what I do. 

Storage only affect loading times, and NVMe or SATA3 (despite NVMe has higher specs) produce very similar game loading times. So better not spend a fortune in latest NVMe.

https://www.easypc.io/nvme-worth-it-gaming/

game-load-times.thumb.png.640127f760459f33e967009468309b29.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

If, like me, you are on a budget

I’m not on a budget per se - let’s just say I try to justify everything to my CFO 😁

Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo CPU cooler, decent price for a nice performer. Keeps my 5600X quite cool. Also 10 year warranty on the fans.

Now GPU choice would depend on which monitor you plan to use, resolution and refresh rate.

5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Be careful adding more fans - more isn’t necessary better. You can inadvertently cause turbulence that actually hinders cooling. 

That is indeed a consideration but with this particular case, if you mount the GPU in the standard horizontal position the bottom located fan(s) air flow should just be "force feeding" the GPU fans.

I should note that if you are forcing air into the case from four fans (2 x 140 mm front that come with case and 2 x 120 add-ons at bottom) you need to have adequate fan capacity at the top/back to exhaust that airflow. I have a CPU 240mm water cooler at the top with its two fans working as exhaust fans along with the standard rear mounted case fan. i.e. case has 4 inlet and 3 outlet fans.

I really went to town on having good airflow as I have RTX 3090 fitted and have the PC located in a room without air conditioning.  Having used it in room temps well over 30 Celsius I am happy with the results component temp and noise level wise.  The HP G2 VR headset does get quite un-comfortable at room temps over 30C though but this comment would most likely be applicable to any currently available VR headset.

If you are running a lower powered GPU the additional bottom fans are quite likely "overkill".

3 minutes ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

If you are running a lower powered GPU the additional bottom fans are quite likely "overkill".

...or your room temps are more reasonable. My office never gets over 70 degrees F (21C).

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 140mm fans in the front lower two thirds of my Corsair 450D case, one bottom mount 120 mm dead center and one top 140mm with custom drilled holes to mount it dead center so that it blows cool air on my Rigs' Ram Modules. All are pulling fresh air in. Then I have 1 120mm exhausting air out the rear at the top end like normal. This provides a positive pressure case ventilation air flow, which is what one wants if they are not water cooling. You can put your hand over any of the rear vent area, top to bottom, and air/warm air is venting outward. I used Thermaltake blue ring light fans because I have had good previous experience with Thermaltake, and they just look the coolest.:cool: I did upgrade my CPU fan to a Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black, Dual 120mm Push Pull Fan Tower Cooler. This CPU cooler is overkill I know, but my aim is to keep my rig as cool as posible and have all of the components last a long time. I built my old system under this thought process and I just found my first spec printout form from it the other day while cleaning up my computer room, and that was performed in 2010 LOL. So that system is actually over 10 years old(previously I thought it was 7 or 8 years old) and is still kicking butt and taking names. Why not water cool? I just don't like the idea of water and electronics in the same case, LOL, old-school I know, but air cooling and well ventilated cases have served me well.

Good luck with the build Cujo_1970. I can put you in touch with my friend who helped me plan out my Rig if you like. He knows his stuff and lives to help people build the most efficient performance matched system for the lowest dollar possible is all I can say. My Rig was not built on much of a budget, at my doing, but his advice as far as matching components to compliment each other, producing high performance without any over the top overclocking(he knows and loves to overclock and push a rig to its' limits. I simply wouldn't let him as I am after longevity of service and reliability) and to help me to future proof my build as much as possible was invaluable. Plus he is just a nice person. Let me know if you want an introduction.

S!Blade<><

I do this very rarely as I don't really care what a Rig's specs are or what the FPS is, as long as it runs my sims very fluidly and is dependable, but I do have to brag a little now of what I think is a pretty nice rig, because in 6 months it will be old news. LOL, so here is me Bragging for one of very few times. It is not the best Rig, but I really like it and it performs really well in each of the Sims I use, including DCS which is a resource hog. Anyway, I will shut up now. LMAO!

:clapping:A Corsair Obsidian 450D case, Corsair TX850M semi modular PSU, Asus Prime X570P chipset AMD AM4 ATX motherboard with PCIe 4.0 DDR4 4400MHz dual M.2 NVMe ports, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X PCIe 4 support CPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600 DDR4 Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA Factory Overclocked(+ a little bump) 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual Fan with 8GB GDDR6 GPU, 1 550 GB Win10 Pro Os only Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe 4 SSD, 1 2TB gaming only Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe 4 SSD, 1 media only Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Internal Hard Drive – 3.5 Inch Sata 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM HDD, LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter, ASHATA 5.25" Front Panel 4 USB Port Optical Drive Front Panel USB 3.0 USB 2.0 expasion,  Patriot Viper Gaming V765 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, TIR5, T160000m, Saitek X52Pro Throttle(soon to be replaced by a GVL Throttle),  MFG Crosswinds and my newest addition just 10 days ago, a Samsung Odyssey G7 32-inch 2560x1440 240Mhz 1000R Curved G-Sync compatible Monitor. And I must say that the step up from my 10+ year old AMD Phenom II x4 965BE, EVGA GTX770 4GB old rig is rather substantial, LOL.:clapping:

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 1

Cool Blade! Looks like a nice rig for sure.

I'm also not interested in water cooling  - or really overclocking for that matter. I'm not looking into being "cutting edge" with this system at all - I'm just looking at building a solid rig that I can upgrade along the way.

With that being said, I just added a VKB Gladiator NXT and picked up 32GB (2X16) Patriot Viper 3200 DDR4 on sale.

Still searching for that elusive video card...

1 hour ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Still searching for that elusive video card...

If your micro center is anything like the one I have near me, here’s the advice one of the guys that work there gave me.

the store near me gets their weekly restocking drops on tuesdays and thursdays. He says, “come here around 6 am on a Tuesday/Thursday and wait in the line, the truck usually comes in around 7:30-8:00 and the store manager goes out, tells people what cards (and how many) have arrived and gives one voucher to each person in line. Then, you go back to the store before 11:00 (1 hour grace period from the time they open) and purchase “a” card. 

they may get a total of 5 cards that day, or they may get 15, they may all be rtx 30xx cards, or they may be a mix of nvidia, amd, they don’t know what they’re getting until that truck arrives, so it’s a bit of luck, bit of persistence. 

good luck

Actually, most commercial deliveries take place on Tuesdays, with more days added if volume requires. If you are looking for things that are difficult to obtain Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually the better bets. (Wednesdays because it often takes time to get things from the loading dock into inventory)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kissTheSky said:

If your micro center is anything like the one I have near me, here’s the advice one of the guys that work there gave me.

the store near me gets their weekly restocking drops on tuesdays and thursdays. He says, “come here around 6 am on a Tuesday/Thursday and wait in the line, the truck usually comes in around 7:30-8:00 and the store manager goes out, tells people what cards (and how many) have arrived and gives one voucher to each person in line. Then, you go back to the store before 11:00 (1 hour grace period from the time they open) and purchase “a” card. 

they may get a total of 5 cards that day, or they may get 15, they may all be rtx 30xx cards, or they may be a mix of nvidia, amd, they don’t know what they’re getting until that truck arrives, so it’s a bit of luck, bit of persistence. 

good luck

Very interesting - the one near me is in Marietta (Atlanta), Ga. - I had a guy there tell me something similar. Got a couple other dealer options in the area I'm pursuing. Was wanting get an 8g 3060Ti but what I'm finding through research is that's not going to happen...the news out there is pretty depressing.

In the EVGA queue for that and the 3070 but I don't hold out a lot of hope. We will see I guess...in the meantime I got a nice pile of shiny new computer parts just sitting here while my old computer chugs along.

Edited by CUJO_1970
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Good grief this card is GIGANTIC

3070_1.thumb.JPG.6e6cf6d8cfb9ba5779b8c6dd5b0b4cbf.JPG

ACTUAL BUILD SO FAR

1.Lancool II Mesh RGB Full Tower Computer Case - Black
$114.99

2.P850GM 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
 $149.99

3.Ryzen 7 3700X Matisse 3.6GHz 8-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Prism Cooler

$299.99

4.X570 MAG Tomahawk WiFi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard
$229.99

5. Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

$160.00

6. Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 250GB
$49.99

7. ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070 08G
$779.99

Still gotta grab the OS, a 1TB SSD, and a 2TB Mechanical Drive.

Edited by CUJO_1970

I'm assuming everyone is just using the USB download/ cheap-key method for your OS? Are there any disadvantages to this? Any advantages for paying for a retail USB/key?

Also - would like to hear your favorite/best advice for transferring files/games from the old computer? I do have a bunch of games on Steam, but IL2 I purchased through the web site. Thanks.

Microsoft allowed me to transfer my Windows 10 operating system, from an old laptop, across to my new build at no additional cost. You will need either a existing licence key or to have the licence on the old PC registered on your Microsoft account.

The old laptop that I transferred it from ran Windows 7 pro so before I did the transfer I upgraded it to Windows 10.  There are articles on the internet about transferring Windows O/S to new computer builds.

The old "donor" computer should no longer be used after it's Windows licence has been transferred.

I downloaded the O/S software installer from the Microsoft site but you can make a backup recovery version to USB after you have completed the install.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
Mandatory typo fix :)
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

I'm assuming everyone is just using the USB download/ cheap-key method for your OS? Are there any disadvantages to this? Any advantages for paying for a retail USB/key?

Also - would like to hear your favorite/best advice for transferring files/games from the old computer? I do have a bunch of games on Steam, but IL2 I purchased through the web site. Thanks.

I paid 15$ for my online key for Win10 Pro, no problems here. I was assured there is no difference.

Just reinstall Steam and I simply reinstalled IL2 and transferred my control files.

I have networked my two rigs and I simply grab what I need here and there, but I felt new installs were the best way for me since I was changing from Win 7 to Win 10, FWIW.

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

I paid 15$ for my online key for Win10 Pro, no problems here. I was assured there is no difference.

Just reinstall Steam and I simply reinstalled IL2 and transferred my control files.

I have networked my two rigs and I simply grab what I need here and there, but I felt new installs were the best way for me since I was changing from Win 7 to Win 10, FWIW.

S!Blade<><

That would be a "second hand" licence key that would have belonged to someone else's computer. Have heard mixed results with buying second hand keys so there may be a degree of risk associated with that approach.

1 minute ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

That would be a "second hand" licence key that would have belonged to someone else's computer. Have heard mixed results with buying second hand keys so there may be a degree of risk associated with that approach.

No, it would not be. It was a Brand Spanking  new Win10 licence purchased in my presence by the gentleman that helped me build my rig.

S!Blade<><

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

Good to know. I'll be transferring via USB thumb drive. I've heard the keys are purchased from China and resold at a small profit, but they are completely legit...and Microsoft has no regional lock on keys. (yet)

Please stay tuned for more dumb questions :) as I'll probably start my build sometime next week.

Had to jump the damn thing to get it to start.

I guess Lian Li sent a case with a bad switch. Not sure if i can replace the header or just go get a new case.  Whatever, I'll have to take the damned thing back apart now 😧

IMG_4489.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cujo, that rig looks sweet. I really like the subtle rgb. Most rigs these days look like a  2 bit cathouse front window box with blaringly blinding neon lights.😎 Sorry to here of your switch problem. Hang in there mate, you will get it sorted.

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

Cujo, that rig looks sweet. I really like the subtle rgb. Most rigs these days look like a  2 bit cathouse front window box with blaringly blinding neon lights.😎 Sorry to here of your switch problem. Hang in there mate, you will get it sorted.

S!Blade<><

Turns out everything works fine - I installed the power lead to the motherboard 1 little pin over from where it was supposed to be. 🙄 Good news is I learned how to start my computer with a screwdriver lol.

Now all I gotta do is set up and allocate my drives and move my files over from the old rig.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Turns out everything works fine - I installed the power lead to the motherboard 1 little pin over from where it was supposed to be. 🙄 Good news is I learned how to start my computer with a screwdriver lol.

Now all I gotta do is set up and allocate my drives and move my files over from the old rig.

You know, I was going to suggest you check that, having just done my build and remembering how tiny and easy it would be to misplace those few connectors on that row of header pins. Good on you that you found the culprit. I think your fan base here will expect to see some benchmark results soon from your new rig. I am not a big benchmark test guru, but it was really fun to see the HUGE difference between my 10 year old Rig and my new one. I am more of a give me a cool running, factory OC, long-term reliability with fluid in Sim performance kind of guy. Anything above 60 FPS and I am quite pleased in sim. I am quite happy with my new Rig and by what you have assembled you should be as well. Congrats and have fun Sir!:clapping:

S!Blade<><

• Thanks 1
On 5/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, BladeMeister said:

You know, I was going to suggest you check that, having just done my build and remembering how tiny and easy it would be to misplace those few connectors on that row of header pins. Good on you that you found the culprit. I think your fan base here will expect to see some benchmark results soon from your new rig. I am not a big benchmark test guru, but it was really fun to see the HUGE difference between my 10 year old Rig and my new one. I am more of a give me a cool running, factory OC, long-term reliability with fluid in Sim performance kind of guy. Anything above 60 FPS and I am quite pleased in sim. I am quite happy with my new Rig and by what you have assembled you should be as well. Congrats and have fun Sir!:clapping:

S!Blade<><

It's fast, lol.

I still need to go back and tweak everything but it's like buttery fast in IL2 compared to my old rig...I'm sure there are faster rigs but I can't really tell the difference between 71 fps and 84 fps and don't really care to either.

One thing that blows me away is how fast everything loads. It's unreal.

• Like 1