Haluter’s Skin Downloader for the IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles series

On 3/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, MarcoPegase44 said:

Hi,

This site is an excellent initiative as a bank of skins.
The possibilities for selecting skins by category are superb.

I just gave it a try by putting a C47 skin on "Haluter's".

I noticed the following points

Either with my poor English I did not understand everything, or there are gaps.

A priori as soon as the skin is put on the site, we lose the possibility of making modifications.

1 °) No possibility of intervening to update the skin.

2 °) No possibility of modifying the presentation text.

3 °) No possibility to delete an old skin.

4 °) There are no categories to put mods and campaigns.

This site is good for users who want to search, but incomplete for skinners.

Even though you have to wait for a global update each time you open (I have a very bad internet connection and the morning update sometimes takes me 20 minutes), It would be good to be able to do a selective update in relation only to its center of interest. for example historical skins or the game that you own without redoing a global update each time.

I'm sorry but my english is bad

Yep, but it's the first version ?

3 hours ago, Hanu said:

Junction

Kiitos 👍 I'll have a look later 

Edited by J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr
But 'eee ... Its not exatly easy to figure out ... but MKlink should do the same ...or what ..??
7 hours ago, J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr said:

Kiitos 👍 I'll have a look later 

Please be careful using this tool. One unlucky pilot tried a GUI tool to make a symbolic link, and somehow deleted their skin collection. But yes, "mklink" is the tool you want for this.

many ways are goin to Roma  ( maybe its only a danish sentence ) ... but Ive found another way with a little program 

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

and at the mittle of the pages : " How to Create Symbolic Links with a Graphical Tool" 

( and you choose your map for downloading first , and then the link in Skin ) 

• There is currently no means by which to upload multiple skins from a single squad in one upload. You will have to upload them one at a time.

Will this become an option in the future? I didn't see it in the roadmap. 

It would also be nice to be able to have  a squad "generic" screenshot for the folder. I really don't want to make a screenshot for the hundreds of individual skins that we have in JG1.

A great bit of work by y'all and much appreciated!

• Like 2

Ladies and gentleman, 

We are looking for anyone and everyone that is getting the repeated "Can't connect to the server" message and is unable to use HSD. A solution may have been found but we would like to test it a little further before releasing it into the wild. 

If you have this issue or you know someone that does, please let us know on our discord. 

https://discord.gg/RPvmtd8

BlackHellHound1

1 hour ago, RavN_Sone said:

Checking for updates takes a veeery loong time, looks like 25 min 😐 

Nice tool otherwise, good work!

Checking for updates from the main form takes less than 20 seconds for me. Are you referring to the downloading of the previews the first time you run HSD? If so, HSD needs to download over 2400 previews which unfortunately will take a while, especially if you have a slow internet connection.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:55 PM, haluter said:

Checking for updates from the main form takes less than 20 seconds for me. Are you referring to the downloading of the previews the first time you run HSD? If so, HSD needs to download over 2400 previews which unfortunately will take a while, especially if you have a slow internet connection.

No, not the first time. I first installed HSD the day it was released. Whenever I don't use it for a couple of days, it checks for updates for a very long time. I cannot tell if this has anything to do with previews, the only thing it shows is "Checking for updates". My connection is quite fast, I'm confident speed is not a problem.

37 minutes ago, RavN_Sone said:

No, not the first time. I first installed HSD the day it was released. Whenever I don't use it for a couple of days, it checks for updates for a very long time. I cannot tell if this has anything to do with previews, the only thing it shows is "Checking for updates". My connection is quite fast, I'm confident speed is not a problem.

HSD downloads new and updated previews when it starts. There's around 2500 skins on the server, and on average there's around 125 new skins uploaded every day, so if you haven't started it for a few days it can take a while to sync with the server. The next update will be a bit faster, and it's currently in testing, so not long to wait :)

• Thanks 1

I am in. HSD worked perfect on my first run. I have now reset my download destination to my 4TB HDD so that I can collect skins there as I need them and then create JSGME installs to use when I need them in sim. This way I can save my M.2 SSD space for just the IL2 GBS install and not bloat it with all of the skins. This is just what I needed. Thank you all for your hard work and professional results with this fine skin manager. :)

One question though, I do not want to be on a monthly Patreon, but I would like to contribute here and there. Is there a way to make a one time PayPal donation? If not you Devs might want to consider setting up a Donation button. I am in for a 20$ donation as soon as you make it possible.:good:

S!Blade<><

• Like 1
Just now, BladeMeister said:

One question though, I do not want to be on a monthly Patreon, but I would like to contribute here and there. Is there a way to make a one time PayPal donation? If not you Devs might want to consider setting up a Donation button. I am in for a 20$ donation as soon as you make it possible.

If you don't need/want the Patreon supporter benefits (Discord role, other stuff) then you can do a 1-time donation with Patreon and then cancel the next day, it will just charge you the one time for whichever amount you enter. Please do consider the monthly pledge though -- even at an entry level -- because monthly income is quite useful for the team to help plan to cover their server costs, make upgrades, etc.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

One question though, I do not want to be on a monthly Patreon, but I would like to contribute here and there. Is there a way to make a one time PayPal donation? If not you Devs might want to consider setting up a Donation button. I am in for a 20$ donation as soon as you make it possible.

While Alonzo is right and a one time donation through Patreon would work, we are adding an option for a Paypal donation in the next version of HSD. Just wait for the update. 

That said, Please do consider a monthly pledge, as Alonzo also stated, it helps us manage and plan ahead more gradually and dynamically. 

Regardless of your choice, we are very happy to hear you enjoy HSD and are willing to help monetarily. Thank you :)

BlackHellHound1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I work in the game development industry and can state as a matter of urgency that you need an EULA that includes a specific HHA (Hold Harmless Agreement) title/clause, specific disclaimer or disclaimers, and a notification upon launch that must be agreed to prior to use of your distro platform. Failing to do so places you and anyone else involved in this project as liable for damages, IP infringement, theft, E-Crime via potential security issues, etc etc. Caused, potential, or otherwise.

Failing to do so means that you are obligated and responsible for any aforementioned issues. You guys need to jump on this immediately. Like fast.

• Like 1

This program are really great , now we have a platform for skins for all ... 

Maybe it's only me .... But I can not easy see what skins that are a personal skin and only for personal use .... 

In an other bundle ...all the personal skins had an : Z = sign personal 

• Thanks 1
On 3/30/2021 at 8:26 AM, J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr said:

But I can not easy see what skins that are a personal skin and only for personal use .... 

In an other bundle ...all the personal skins had an : Z = sign personal 

We don't use any naming convention and we're also not going to enforce such a thing. If it is available on HSD, it means it publicly available and enforcing something like "personal skins" goes out the window anyway.

You are of course free to continue using that convention, but don't expect that everyone will adhere to it.

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

• Like 1

How is the skin downloads numbers ?? If is not secret 🤭. How many pilots* using the HSD for downloads   ?? 100 ? 200 ? 1000 ?  ( Not my skin downloads !!! ) For all skins in HSD ! ! 🟢

Was going to share this on Monday when we reach the 1 month mark but might as well share it now. 

So far we've had 12.000+ unique visitors with an average of ~1300 people checking in each day.

Over 7.2 Terabytes worth of data has been downloaded which is roughly equivalent of 330,000 skins.

About 2900 unique skins (about 70GB worth of data) have been uploaded to HSD already and more are still coming in.

Thanks to @Alonzo We use the Cloudflare CDN (Content Delivery Network) that cashes all our files and distributes them around the world. This has truly made it possible to reach these ridiculous numbers!

It's been a crazy month and things have been so much better than we expected!
Thanks everyone for your support and we're looking forward to everything else you guys upload!

The HSD Team!

kBk8TX1.png

And not to forget, the first update is reaching its final form adding some nice quality of life improvements.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Hello everyone,

Today someone uploaded a few skins made by Tom Weiss. Sadly Tom passed away last year so someone else is uploading his work. 
While I would love to see his work on HSD, it does need to happen under the right conditions and with the permission of the family. 

Could the person uploading Toms work please PM me on the forums or on discord. Thank you

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 3
Posted (edited)

We finally have Update 1.2.1.9 ready and it's a big one!

First of all, we included the EULA for HSD. Read it carefully before agreeing to it! If you click on exit because you don't agree, HSD will uninstall itself and only the HSD.exe will remain.

On to the good stuff!
The primary focus has been on optimising and improving the workflow through lots of tweaking so that it's easier and quicker to use. A new upload component has been included that speeds up uploads by about 4-6x!!! The filter section has been improved as well and now includes check-boxes for some options which will be saved for your next use. And of course, lots and lots of bug fixes!

Now quickly launch HSD and update!

Hotfix released. See update log for changes

You can read the full update log in HSD or in this new forums section:

kBk8TX1.png

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Where is the button to accept the end user agreement?  I scrolled through the agreement and cannot find the button.  But when I go to the HSD log I see this in it.
[4/14/2021 8:14:20 PM]Information>>Display EULA
[4/14/2021 8:16:12 PM]Information>>User did not accept EULA, closing HSD
[4/14/2021 8:16:12 PM]Information>>Total database I/O time: 00:00:00.0008728

So again where does it display this?

I just read the log again and all 4 times I opened it it has a similar statement with just the time stamps changed.

\

Edited by BG26_Ogg
clarification
On 4/15/2021 at 1:24 AM, BG26_Ogg said:

Where is the button to accept the end user agreement?

This issue, that only affected low resolution devices, has been resolved in hotfix 1.2.1.10

On 3/23/2021 at 6:15 PM, Alonzo said:

Please be careful using this tool. One unlucky pilot tried a GUI tool to make a symbolic link, and somehow deleted their skin collection. But yes, "mklink" is the tool you want for this.

if the the skins are on a non SSD - how much are loading times etc affected?

I would like to put the skins elsewhere to make my SSD a bit lighter.

7 hours ago, ACG_DerSheriff said:

if the the skins are on a non SSD - how much are loading times etc affected?

I would like to put the skins elsewhere to make my SSD a bit lighter.

I expect the skins will be fine on HDD. The big advantage of SSD is the seek times are very very short. Once the HDD has done the seek (10-15ms) the data transfer rate is pretty fast (150MB/sec). So an HDD can probably load about ten 4K skins per second, which isn't bad. I haven't done this myself though.

Posted (edited)

I made good on my promise to use the Donate button if you installed one, and will make use of it in the future as this project goes forward. My hope is that all the major IL2 GBS skin artists will upload their work to HSD. I really like the skin packs which cover from one section up to a whole Squadron. For me it just adds so much to have a whole Squadron in Historical skins. I am hoping to see more and more of these packs!

This skin manager is fabulous and very flexible to enable me to download only the type of skins that I want. Thank you to the team for all of your hard work, it looks awesome and operates quite professionally. :clapping:

S!Blade<><

Edit: Thank you to all of the skin Artists whom have embraced HSD. My hope is that more will follow your lead in using HSD as this App is so much quicker and easier than trying to search the terribly disorganized IL2 Forum skin section. Thanks to each of you.

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3