Shake off AI planes

ragvard

ragvard

I am really sorry if this has been asked often already, but i couldn't really find an answer.

So, i am flying single player at the moment and i think i am starting to get the hang of my Yak-1. 

I watched all of requiems videos on BFM and ACM and that has been a huge help.

My problem is that i just can't get rid of those nasty BF-109 once they start chasing me.

I tried to avoid the issue by relying on boom&zoom tactics, but it seems i am still not good enough, because i always end up with an enemy at my tail.

And once they are there, they stay. I am getting better at evading their attacks, but they are like... glued to my ass. In the last mission i had an enemy plane following me across half of the map and it didn't even have any ammo anymore. It was hilarious but the damn thing made me forget to extend my landing gear while landing, cause i was so distracted 😄 

Anyways, had some luck with doing split s to break their turns, just to end up in a turn duel again. Climbing away is impossible, cause they just follow, and it is a matter of time until i have to evade again.

Are there any specific manouvers i should look into? Is the AI really that hard, or is it just a "git good"-thing? My feeling is that i could get at them with energy fighting, which is how i scored my one and only fighter kill. But once i am in defence i can't get out, and i cannot figure out why.

Any help or hints are very much appreciated :) 

WheelwrightPL

Fly with "realistic physiology" turned off and turn like hell in your Yak, because it is better at turning than all Germans. Make an aerodynamically smooth turn (google "stay on the ball") to minimize inevitable speed loss. 

• Thanks 1

jollyjack

I like that i16 a lot, a quick turner. But i am not a dogfight fan, gets me dizzy, al them turns ...

ragvard

Thank y'all for the tips!

Seems i'll have to put more practise into my scissoring skills :)

I'd like to keep the realistic physiology on though, cause i enjoy the simulation aspect.

ragvard

Update: I think i "get" the principle now thati tried it, but shaking them off in 1v1 is literally impossible for me. Will keep practicing in 4v4 :) 

JG1_Barton

Inducing a scissor will shake any AI off your tail.  Once you get past a certain point they go dumb and break off.

• Upvote 1

GoNuts4Donuts

+1 to the scissors. Like Barton said, they will break off, usually they will end up flying straight and level or do something just as stupid like instead of staying in the scissors, will reverse their turn right in front of you allowing you to land accurate shots that will likely send them down in an instant. It sucks, but it is what it is with the current state of the AI. They have gotten better in the past two years since I've started playing, and it will hopefully continue to get better down the road

ragvard

I wish i was at the point where i could say something similar 😄 Even the novice AI wipes me off the table in 1vs1. Will practice scissoring and report back :) 

JG1_Barton

Also, the AI's ground avoidance is garbage.  Fighting low to the deck and inducing a scissors can make them fly into the trees.  I went 1v4 in a Yak-1 against Bf-109F4s on Ace level and got 3 of them to kill themselves this way.  One thing I really don't like about the Ace AI is their proclivity to shoot at you from a mile away.  Aces don't typically do that, rookies do.  Though I will say that the AI has improved pretty considerably since I fought it last.  I was able to figure out how to wrangle the AI pretty quickly but it is still a hard fight.  Having G-fatigue ratchets up the difficulty and makes things interesting.

JG1_Barton makes a good point about AI lawndarts. While my high altitude fighting leaves much to be desired most of my fights end up low and at turning speeds sooner or later (just like a bunch of real life combats in WW2) and I watch the enemy AIs routinely lawndart these days. At altitudes above 3000m I have a harder time with spotting as I lose some aircraft due to ground clutter and a few in the darker overhead sky, unless there's contrails. If they gang up on me I take them to the deck where spotting is easier and can just pull a lot of nose to nose, nose to tail and a combination of yo-yos with some high barrel roll maneuvers to keep them all at bay while they all hit the ground sooner or later.

While I think the Ai has improved there will always be room for more. I get frustrated when I am up against 4 to 6 109s and 190s mixed and looking forward to shooting some of them down to only see 3 or 4 lawndart robbing me of some more recorded kills. But if I can put some rounds in each even if it doesn't take them out I at least get credit when they do meet mother earth face first;-).

Like others here have mentioned start with 1 vs 1, then 1 (you) vs 2 and progress from there. For instance I am currently doing SP missions 4-5 Allied vs 8 Enemy to force me to work at my situational awareness and tactics. I have recently just started flying again after many years away from the sim so it was prudent to get acquainted with most of the aircraft and to workup my flying skills. I have spent the last couple of months flying 3-4 hours a day practicing (and dying, and ejecting, and sometimes coming back to the airfield with multiple kills in a horribly shot up plane) so don't get to frustrated. Work on your situational awareness, keep your head on swivel, extend and run away when things get dicey to attain an advantage and just keep practicing. Take the planes up solo and learn them by putting them through the wringer, practice uncoordinated wild maneuvers like negative Gs and snap rolls, etc. to evade. Right now I am spending a lot of time at high altitude 'cause that's my weak spot, so identify your weak spots and work on them and you'll be fine. And remember when you finally go online there will always be someone better and it's the one you don't see that'll get ya, and most importantly it's only a sim not real life;-)