TM Warthog stick on Virpil base: community input requested

S!  I am considering placing my TM Warthog stick on a Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base as my TM base has a funky chunky feel in the pitch axis and though I have had it apart several times and fixed/ modified some things like gluing down the rubber gasket which was causing some issues and adding small washers underneath the plate for the 4 long stanchions that were all loose upon arrival with bottomed out threads, I suspect it is in the bell housing for the Hall effect sensors and am a little nervous about how long this will last. The Warthog stick itself is fine and I like the control placements.

So I would like any input from anyone in the community that has experience with using a Warthog stick on a Virpil base including any issues or benefits. Or for that matter has anyone else had this issue with their Warthog base and know a fix? I have been a little reluctant to disassemble the bell housing and mess with the sensor area since I can't see inside before yanking it apart and it does seem to be working fine regardless of the chunky clunkety-clunk when I change pitch in a extreme fashion. Thanx   

I have a TM F-18 grip on the Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Base. I would advise against buying this base. It's single cam design is highly flawed - the push/pull and left/right forces are noticeably different and not smooth and linear at all. You'll find this mentioned on many forums and the virpil forum itself. Virpil has been saying for a couple years now that they are looking to fix the problem with new cam design ... but nothing. I'm surprised they still sell it

I'm looking for a new base myself as this one is almost unuseable

1 hour ago, Props said:

So I would like any input from anyone in the community that has experience with using a Warthog stick on a Virpil base including any issues or benefits...

I do and it is way better than the Warthog base. I do not have any problems at all with the cam design.  From memory I have the soft centre Aviasim for pitch and no centre Aviasim for roll, with the strongest springs tightened down and released slightly.  That gets me to a similar feeling to with the Warthog, but much smoother and more precise. It also builds up the pressure with more stick deflection so you reduce the excessive input that might cause a stall.  Not always though....

Muscle memory means you can keep the same key bindings, especially as the Virpil software lets you "see" the grip so that TARGET will work.

About the chunky feel - also try tightening up the grip itself because the metal bit that goes into the base can loosen and that gives a clunk.

von Tom

Me too. Centre mounted with 200mm Virpil extension. Although not an exact comparison since the warthog base only had a 100mm extension the new setup is much better. 

I couldn't detect a difference regarding the left / right force difference, certainly not enough to ditch the setup, although I did request Virpil send a set of the new cams just in case. I asked a pilot friend to try the joystick feel (fnarr fnarr) and his assessment was "don't change anything, it's just like a BAE Hawk" Happy with that!

I believe Virpil ship the CM2 with the new cams (why wouldn't they!) so that issue should be dead and buried.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Von_Tom -"About the chunky feel - also try tightening up the grip itself because the metal bit that goes into the base can loosen and that gives a clunk."

Yep, noticed that right away when I got the Warthog and used a few wraps of teflon tape, the kind used for plumbing, air compressor fixtures etc., to fix that issue with no more loosening of the knurled nut even after long sessions. Used Loctite on all the other little screws throughout the base too, so everything is tight now. I'm pretty sure the clunk is in the sensor area and it is not present in the left/right roll axis, just fore/aft pitch axis. I am kind of ignoring it since it doesn't seem to effect aircraft handling adversely when I'm flying, but it's a dull nag of worry in the back of my mind about the long term health of this base.

1 hour ago, Props said:

Thanks everyone for the input.

I mean look at the grip itself - the bit you hold.  The knurled knob thing is attached to a metal rod that goes into the grip.  If the tiny screws in the grip loosen, this can cause the metal rod to clunk.  Everything else can be solid but the clunk is inside the grip, not the base.

Untitled.jpg.1ed054ec3f80eae2bde2ec26af8cab21.jpg

von Tom

• Like 1

Is anyone here using this setup with a Wheelstand Pro center mounting plate?  If so, I am trying to see if the Virpil universal plate will attach without having to drill new holes?

On 3/6/2021 at 8:43 PM, Varibraun said:

I am trying to see if the Virpil universal plate will attach without having to drill new holes?

Reply on Virpil Forum says the holes match.  I will follow up to confirm in case anyone else runs into this setup.