Flying Circus Vol 1/2 Career

Vol 2 is planned to get careers, right? Would that mean that Vol 1 will also be getting careers once Vol 2 does, or will it perhaps be a situation where Vol 2 gives you the career mode while Vol 1 only gives you planes, like it is right now. What do you lot think?

I would buy Vol 2 in early release, as then you'll get the Career mode at the earliest possible date either way....while supporting further development of the Career mode you seek.

I guess that we will get such possibilities:

- German career from late 1917 to the end of the war: Flanders and Verdun/Metz maps

- British career, mostly for the Flanders, but maybe some Independent Air Force carrer would be available, as we will get the HP and DH4?

- US career, fighter and bomber on the Verdun/Metz map from the Spring 1918

- French career for the Verdun/Metz map (fighter/bomber)

• Like 1
On 3/1/2021 at 2:46 AM, NobodyRelevant said:

Vol 2 is planned to get careers, right? Would that mean that Vol 1 will also be getting careers once Vol 2 does, or will it perhaps be a situation where Vol 2 gives you the career mode while Vol 1 only gives you planes, like it is right now. What do you lot think?

I am sure this will happen. It is the same game only another module. BoS und BoM also got the career mode with BoK release.

Edited by JG27_Steini

Whatever career mode comes (vol. 1 and/or 2) I hope they will finally make it available offline. I know we have PWCG but that in itself should not be an argument to not making career mode offline.

It sure cannot be a space problem since IL-2 already is multi GB size and I cannot imagine this career mode being too big to transfer.

So, whatever comes, please make it offline available.

Careers being always online is the only copy protection they have for SP.

The Careers make use of available planes so I wouldn't be worried about FC1 content, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Even with FC2 there will be little content for 1917 career (Albatros, Pfalz and 180hp Halberstadt - all mysteriously equipped with parachutes - plus DFW C.V) against Triplane, Spad 7 and Entente two-seaters. Plus, the main theatre of late-1917 fights (Flanders) lies outside the FC1/FC2 map.

March 1918 is more likely for starting point of FC1/2 career, with more planes being flyable, and two maps covering 1918 offensives and early USAS actions.

U.S. Air service should be an interesting one for the new careers. With the plane set, you should be able to get a full career from start to finish with the earliest USAS scout squadrons (Particularly 94th and 103rd) 

13 hours ago, Lugubrious said:

So do we know when V2 will be released? anxiously waiting for career mode

It was said FC2 would be published in sections from Spring through December, 2021.  If so, we might soon see some new planes and part of the new map; with the remaining quadrants of the map becoming available in stages by Christmas.

ADDIT:  And I read when the first map quadrant addition becomes available via FC2, it will also be available for FC1.  

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

I legit want to fly a fictional career where an Me262 travels back in time and wins the war for Germany.

If that's too far fetched, then a Bf109 K-4. Effin' clown wagon.

20 hours ago, Lugubrious said:

anxiously waiting for career mode

[lie mode] 

I can totally understand your eagerness to meet this game's legendary AI planes, whose performance is so convincing it's hard to distinguish them from human players.

[/lm]

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

I can totally understand your eagerness to meet this game's legendary AI planes, whose performance is so convincing it's hard to distinguish them from human players.

Have you flown recently against the AI? It's miles and miles better over we've had in the past.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Have you flown recently against the AI? It's miles and miles better over we've had in the past.

I have and I see no improvement over the bots in RoF.  Even when not oblivious to my presence, they do not present anything I would call a challenge, they still get stuck in a circle when pursued close to the ground, and under certain conditions still forget to check that what they are about to do won't cause them to crash into the ground.  I was meeting more-challenging bots thirty years ago, and considering the standards present in competing products, there is no mitigation for what this game presents.

• Haha 2

Well, I do think it is improved over ROF - they are a bit more evasive and the circling is less, imho. But AI has never been a strength of the development team. Indeed for WWI, both WOFF and even First Eagles 2 have far better AI. But with a dedicated AI programmer now slowly working away, I am sure it will continue to be improved upon - be it little by little - but there is indeed that promise at least (something that doesn't exist for ROF - though as I mention that, I do just recall that VonS put out a newly released AI tweaked mod for ROF (don't know the extent to which it improves things, but worth a look if you still play that title).  Anyway, I am sure there are better days ahead. 🙂

Edited by Redwo1f

FC AI can drag, BnZ and spiral climb to maintain altitude over you, not to mention is a wicked shot when it gets a dive on you. (And throws plane parts into your patch when threatened). Go on Flugpark and see what it's capable of, quick mission AI is for some reason much more moronic.

1 hour ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

FC AI can drag, BnZ and spiral climb to maintain altitude over you, not to mention is a wicked shot when it gets a dive on you. (And throws plane parts into your patch when threatened). Go on Flugpark and see what it's capable of, quick mission AI is for some reason much more moronic.

That, and career mode missions as well. I know its WWII, but...the quality of the AI there has really gone up over the past year, so much so that I believe it's a genuine true challenge to survive all the way through a Soviet fighter career of any given length, without restarting a mission after being killed or captured.

Edited by LukeFF

If AI in a videogame ever gets convincing we should all run to the hills and hope that John Connor doesn't get killed by a time-travelling cyborg (or whatever happens when Skynet gets sentient).

Seriously though, it's a big ask of a contemporary videogame to present AI which mimics anything like human behaviour.

33 minutes ago, CfC=76SQN-FatherTed said:

If AI in a videogame ever gets convincing we should all run to the hills and hope that John Connor doesn't get killed by a time-travelling cyborg (or whatever happens when Skynet gets sentient).

Seriously though, it's a big ask of a contemporary videogame to present AI which mimics anything like human behaviour.

Machines haven’t learned to chuteshoot yet.

2 hours ago, CfC=76SQN-FatherTed said:

Programming the manoeuvres and associated decision making, does not come anywhere near to being describable as mimicking human behaviour.  By today's standards it would be a stretch to classify the result as AI, even in games that have made a far better job of it.

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, =IRFC=Hbender said:

I legit want to fly a fictional career where an Me262 travels back in time and wins the war for Germany.

Not if we have the Hanriot they won't mister! :angry: 

• Haha 1

I thought the bots were better when FC first came out.

The faster planes used to do a bit of energy fighting, but after one of the updates - Spads, SE5's and Dolphins mostly seem to fly off into the distance.

On my maps I swapped out some of the above for more Camels as fights were hard to come by - even with up to 12 bot fighters on a fairly small map.

We used to get the "was this an AI or a person?" moments pretty often on Flugpark at J2, until we narrowed down the right Turing test (the "AI waggling" of wings).

17 hours ago, =IRFC=Hbender said:

Machines haven’t learned to chuteshoot yet.

They make up for it with strafing landing (and landed) planes. @$$#013$!

Edited by J2_Trupobaw