This is very, very close to home for me.   Still not sure what it actually was as our local TV man described it as "It's this big!" and put his hand above his head, lol.  Presumably asking the police or UXB team it's weight seems to be beyond his journalistic capability.  It would therefore seem to have been a kg1000.

There was some speculation by the police spokesman that they might remove it to a safe area before dealing with it which is just laughable. No one in their right mind is going to load this mother onto a lorry and drive it through a city.  Such must have been the unstable condition of the contents after eighty years underground they don't seem to have attempted to 'steam' it either but enlarged and reinforced the pit, tipped four hundred tons of sand over it and pressed the button.

Result; structural damage, broken windows, etc. within 150m. of the detonation site and debris blown upto three hundred metres.

These finds are now very rare in the UK whilst over in Germany I suspect this is a weekly occurence still?  

• Like 2

Been in Exeter for two days last year and recognized the area (close to the marina?). I actually had taken a walk pretty close to that bomb.

Would have been a blast if it had went off back then...

Edit: Dang, Arthur! had I known you're actually living in the Exeter area, I'd have made myself known to be there!

Would have made for a nice evening in the pub!

Edited by Bremspropeller
36 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Been in Exeter for two days last year and recognized the area (close to the marina?). I actually had taken a walk pretty close to that bomb.

Would have been a blast if it had went off back then...

Edit: Dang, Arthur! had I known you're actually living in the Exeter area, I'd have made myself known to be there!

Would have made for a nice evening in the pub!

Yeah, we could have met up on The Quay and admired the local wildlife!  You're spot on where it was;  about 500m. north-west of the Quay marina, deep in student land. 

• Like 1

Yeah, we had a smaller one (an SC 250 I believe) in SW London a couple of years ago, right next to Kingston University. Much the same scenario - evacuate the area, think about it for a bit (they were apparently contemplating trying to move it, before they thought better), bury it in sand, and blow it up. Broke a few windows, and the sand went everywhere, but job done.

SC1000 'Hermann' bomb according to the Beeb. Rather a cockup in damaging buildings nearby; especially after encasing it in 400 tons of sand.

1 minute ago, 216th_Cat said:

SC1000 'Hermann' bomb according to the Beeb. Rather a cockup in damaging buildings nearby; especially after encasing it in 400 tons of sand.

I think there's a limit to how much damage-reduction you can achieve by burying a bomb. You can stop shrapnel, and reduce the airborne shockwave, but burying it isn't going to reduce the shock transmitted through the ground. About the only other option if you can't move it is to try to extract the explosives - they used to do it with steam, I believe. Bearing in mind the likely condition of the bomb, and the fact that they were sometimes fitted with movement-detection triggers, the risks in trying to do that are obvious enough though. Structural damage can be fixed.