Many thanks for today's screenshot of Le Havre

Many thanks for today's DD, both cities looks superbs !

Not perfect, but trade-off have to be made . My only remarks would be that the streets ground looks too green, but that's a detail, and it's still WIP. "Le Havre" looks very good to be honest. I studied there for a full year almost 20 years ago (time flies ūüėÖ), the city landscape can be easily recognised here in the screenshot !

Anyway, many thanks Jason, Han and to all the team ! My grand-mother grew up in Le Havre, she was 6 when the Wermacht arrived the city in june 1940. She fled the city with my great grand mother and her 3yo sister, in a merchant vessel full of retreating soldiers from the French Army, with 2 other ships as full as her was. They could get on the ship only because the soldiers took pity of the 3 of them, seeing the chaos in the city. Crazy thing, of the 3 ships that could get out of Le Havre harbor that day, only one was not immediatly sunk by Stukas or german mines, with all hands on deck... we are small.

So, many thanks to Jason and the team, il2 is a great tool to not forget the craziness of our world, to remember what can happen if we forget !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

Agreed, it is looking Superb. Of course we want it all, but if you built it and sold it to us our computers couldn't run it and we would be bitching about this being a slide show. I can't even imagine trying to strike the right balance of eye candy, functionality and fluidity in performance. I honestly do not see how the team does it, but I am sure glad you do. Sure IL2 GBS isn't perfect, but then again, neither are ANY of the other sims I fly. To be honest IL2 GBS is in the top tier if not the best, and that competition is between IL2 GBS and her older Sister CLOD Blitz/DWoT.:ph34r: Keep up the Great work 1C and TFS.

S!Blade<><

13 hours ago, Leifr said:

The cities look great in Bodenplatte.

now about those hedgerows...

No, when flying above the low countries I do only see copy/paste from German styled houses, while its workmanship is very basic, more like 2012. I’m afraid the same will happen for the Normandy map.  

Problem with this, no, because how the hell can an student from Uglymedia know what are the different styles  of houses in all those little unknow countries.  While if wanting to know it will only burn labor and sparse budget.

Same spill when using 2021 technology like in FS2020, while we are 80% of the time flying 2km or higher above these houses and even reducing the ingame level of detail because we wanting to maintain 90FPS in VR. 

Mostly not agree to Jason&Co, but at this point 1C did do the right decision with this ancient game engine, concerning the airstrips details first, while keeping the game playable and payable. 

29 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Problem with this, no, because how the hell can an student from Uglymedia know what are the different styles  of houses in all those little unknow countries. 

I don't think Ugra-Media is the problem. Didn't they also build the Normandy and Syria maps for DCS? So obviously they know how to create realistic looking maps.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Very sad to see how it looked after the battle of Normandy.

HavrePostcards01.jpg

1920px-Le_Havre_hiver_1944-1945.JPG

Another reason to add an easier to use damage level tool to the mission editor.

So much quicker to make and FPS-friendly too!

On the Arrass map, Ugra-Media made low-rise houses around the city, which I think is quite reasonable.
The city on the Rhienland map made by 1CGS is also very good, but the edges of the city need to be polished.
I hope to see a few farmhouses in the open area as an ornament.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

That's what I hope too. If performance is an issue, they don't have to be part of the map template and could instead be placed by mission designers in the area where the mission takes places. Other useful objects that could make the landscape more varied and interesting are things like telephone/telegraph poles, fences and haystacks.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

I don't think Ugra-Media is the problem. Didn't they also build the Normandy and Syria maps for DCS? So obviously they know how to create realistic looking maps.

I do not know about the Syria map, but sure about the DCS Normandy map, were lots of complains, I do hope Uglymedia did now learn its lessons and finally did do its best for Syria (& for BoX). 

11 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

That's what I hope too. If performance is an issue, they don't have to be part of the map template and could instead be placed by mission designers in the area where the mission takes places. Other useful objects that could make the landscape more varied and interesting are thinks like telephone/telegraph poles, fences and haystacks.

+1 for farms, poles and more realistic city edges.  Currently it goes from urban to sterile countryside without transition although the Le Havre screenshot looks like it's a bit better in that aspect. 

I recognize this adds a lot of work and it might not be feasible with the current resources and timeframe, but it would be a great addition.

• Upvote 4
13 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

I do not know about the Syria map, but sure about the DCS Normandy map, were lots of complains, I do hope Uglymedia did now learn its lessons and finally did do its best for Syria (& for BoX). 

I've only flown a few times on the DCS Normandy map. For me performance was an issues and I am not sure if the graphic is really better than in IL-2. But the landscape itself looked quite realistic and had many little details that are missing on the Rhineland map, for example farms outside the larger towns or telephone poles along the roads. Also the bocage field systems looked quite convincing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
6 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

I’m afraid the same will happen for the Normandy map. 

Did you actually read anything from this latest DD update?

5 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

The DCS: Normandy map came at a time while DCS' underlying technology was in significant flux. So much so that it came with its own DCS World Alpha 2.2 build not to be confused with the Alpha 2.0 and 1.5 release builds that were all circulating at the same time. Later they made significant fixes to the map. It is in a good place. DCS: Syria is a step above anything that series has done. Ugramedia can definitely deliver. I think we'll see some great work from them for Flying Circus Vol 2 as they will be more familiar with the tools and better able to bring their attention to detail to the series.

Normandy from the 1CGS team is also just getting started. Let's see how it progresses!

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

Yeah, some farmhouses would be nice.

And maybe here and there a guy driving a tractor around and some cattle.

Or some haystacks on the fields in summer.

Don't have to be much interactive or so, just for immersion.

Have a nice day.

:salute: 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, FlyingShark said:

Yeah, some farmhouses would be nice.

And maybe here and there a guy driving a tractor around and some cattle.

Or some haystacks on the fields in summer.

Don't have to be much interactive or so, just for immersion.

Have a nice day.

Cows when? ūüėĄ

• Upvote 1
Just now, FlyingShark said:

It was just an idea I had, nothing important, but would be nice to see some livestock and/or wildlife in the game.

Have a nice day.

I moooove to second this motion.

The dev team should hoof it to make this happen.

*oink*

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Did you actually read anything from this latest DD update?

The latest DD says nothing about new buildings specifically for French architecture, whilst Dutch2 is specifically lamenting the copy/paste action of German-styled buildings across the entire Low Countries area. Did you actually read the DD LukeFF? It comments on the difference of architecture on either side of the Channel, implying that we can look forward to some lovely renditions of the British countryside and the required architecture for a life-like rendition.

Our map development team always tries to find new ways to improve the landscape elements, and now, working on the Normandy map, they are researching new techniques of terrain texturing, coastline composition, keeping in mind the differences in the architecture and city layout between the two sides of the Channel, attempting to recreate more detailed railway junctions and many other things.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1