An eye for an eye?

Ever since I caught a *tire* with a Yak-1's prop while pressing an attack on a 109, I've gotten to be very mindful of the "live" debris.

However, something funny happened in one of the last missions in a Stalingrad career. Once again, I had a 109 on the ropes. The mighty ShVAK is doing its understated business. Pilot jettisons the canopy and there's no dodging it. Damage assessment time! Prop is still going, engine makes the right sounds, waggle the wings, ten fingers, ten toes. The *only* thing missing from my Yak-1 is.... the canopy! Please tell me this is just a coincidence. Uncanny. :)

Thanks for the excellent work! It's been such a treat to get back into simming!

-Ryan

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, RyanR said:

Please tell me this is just a coincidence. Uncanny. :)

Don't you mean... uncanopy?

Ba-doom, Tsssshhhhhhh..... Thank you very much, I'm here all week!

• Haha 8
1 minute ago, Stoopy said:

Don't you mean... uncanopy?

Ba-doom, Tsssshhhhhhh..... Thank you very much, I'm here all week!

Well played sir!! :)

-Ryan

• Thanks 1

I had a similar experience albeit in a bit different scenario. It's pretty rare as it only happened to me once in 3 years I've been playing this game.  I was piloting the E7 and the red on my six (can't remember what plane exactly) shot the canopy off my plane.

I lit up a 109 from head on with all the guns in a Tempest once. It knocked the plane sideways and the fuselage slammed into the front of my plane before I could blink more than once. The prop was gone, engine stopped and I had to bail. That startled the cr@p out of me in VR. It was like being in a car wreck without the Gs. 

37 minutes ago, Soilworker said:

I can see it turning into a tactic,

The 'fake bale' is the latest commonly deployed LW trick you see on Berloga. Been going on for a couple of months now. It doesn't work.

It can get unrealistic at times. Recently while flying p38 I blew off right wing flap from fw190. Went right over engine no 2 and hit right vertical stabilizer, tearing it off rightaway.

Edited by Mac_Messer
9 minutes ago, Mac_Messer said:

It can get unrealistic at times. Recently while flying p38 I blew off right wing flap from fw190. Went right over engine no 2 and hit right vertical stabilizer, tearing it off rightaway.

Physics is always tricky in a game.  I'm a terrible shot so I tend to get very, very close in order to hit anything.  Flying debris is always a concern.  I find it to be mostly reasonably well done.  I usually lose my engine from being smacked in the nose.  I think I got killed one time but that's a distant memory.  

19 minutes ago, 40plus said:

Exploding Camels in Flying Circus have busted the prop of my D7 on more than one occasion. What is up with those Camels? pew pew BOOM!

The old, "smoking Camels are bad for your health" joke creaks over the horizon. 

3 hours ago, Diggun said:

The 'fake bale' is the latest commonly deployed LW trick you see on Berloga. Been going on for a couple of months now. It doesn't work.

Really? Lame. Well that's why I almost never play multiplayer games. 

3 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Really

Yeah. They take a hit, then pop the canopy while they are attempting to run away, hoping you'll assume they're bailing out. Super lame. 

• Sad 1

20191005182742_1.thumb.jpg.ff08628c71848569467dd5ee032c6032.jpg

Had what I thought was just a very near miss in a 109, didn't realize something rather important was gone until I got back home and tried to use it.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Diggun said:

Yeah. They take a hit, then pop the canopy while they are attempting to run away, hoping you'll assume they're bailing out. Super lame. 

Wow. That is reeeally lame. That kind of stuff turned me off from multiplayer games 15 years ago.

I'm glad I found IL-2 back then. Just like when I first found IL-2, the most recent iteration has been a real joy.

-Ryan

@RyanRI wouldn't let it put you off dipping a toe into Il2 multiplayer. That sort of behaviour is only really exhibited by a small group of emotionally fragile Hartmann wannabe's with, one supposes, personal issues they feel the need to compensate for.

It also only really happens on Berloga*, which is a pretty consequence free air-quake dogfight server. 

What you'll find mostly online is that, for all that we are a rather cantankerous bunch of folk, it's actually a super welcoming, kind, patient, and fun community out there. 

I would go so far as to say that multiplayer il2 is the most fun I've ever had at a computer - when I wasn't using, ah, private browsing. 

*NB before you pile on, this is not me having a go at Berloga. It's an excellent training and stress relief tool, vital to improve SA and gunnery skills. Nowhere else gives you the chance to wreck so many big, expensive BMW radials with $0.5 UBS bullets in such quick succession... 

On 2/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Irishratticus72 said:

The old, "smoking Camels are bad for your health" joke creaks over the horizon. 

It seems that people tend to fly with less fuel as possible nto gain morte agility in the camel. Maybe less fuel means more flamable gasoline fumes in the tank. Don't know if this is simulated as well.

6 hours ago, J2_Oelmann said:

Maybe less fuel means more flamable gasoline fumes in the tank. Don't know if this is simulated as well.

It is.