Pe-2 rolls back and forth

Charlo-VR

Charlo-VR

A buddy and I were trying to fly a pair of Pe-2 Series 87 on the Finnish Virtual Pilots server, but we both kept having problems with the aircraft rolling side to side shortly after takeoff. 

We had four of its larger bombs on each and 40% fuel loads, which should not be too heavy. We were able to lift off and kept the rpms at 2,700 and the manifold pressure at 1,000 or so, but within 10 seconds our birds starting rolling to the left or right, and required so much correction that we couldn’t keep a steady flight, crashing within 20 seconds. 

I have previously had slightly longer flights in a Pe-2 that started rolling after flying for a few minutes, which I was able to control, but then the rolling returned a few minutes later until I finally crashed.

Advice would be most welcome!

Charlo-VR
12 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

At what speed?

Your question gave me my answer - thank you!  My buddy and I realized we were so used to throttling back and dropping prop pitch on other planes after takeoff that we didn't notice we were simply stalling our Pe-2s, accidentally allowing the airspeed to drop below 200 kph, its stall speed.

We had a couple of successful, lengthy bombing runs in Pe-2s today, so this is all sorted - our initial problem was pilot error, of course!

Edited by Charlo-VR

[DBS]Browning

Always use 100% pitch on the pe2 unless you desperately need to save fuel. 

Good formation flying can be acheived from 70% to 90% throttle depending on skill and the size of the formation. At higher settings, ensure radiators are as closed as possible as they will produce lots of drag. 

DBS tends to fly at 85% throttle for formations of 4 or fewer and at 70-75% for multi element formations or echslons.