Spawning Groups ? Blocks as Linked Entity ?

Two dumbo Qs:

Can you spawn a group as a whole? Probably not but it could come in handy.

I loaded a user mission with a whole load of Linked Entity blocks (fences in this case).

Is this recommendable or should you un-link these to gain game efficiency?

- - Temp Truck camp.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • jollyjack changed the title to Spawning Groups ? Blocks as Linked Entity ?

Jack, you spawn as many units as you want at one time - just object link them to the MCU.

That said you can’t spawn blocks like fences, buildings, craters etc.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, jollyjack said:

I loaded a user mission with a whole load of Linked Entity blocks (fences in this case).

Is this recommendable or should you un-link these to gain game efficiency?111

The only reasons I know of to make blocks into linked entities are...

Have ground troops walking around by fuel tanks, ammo nets, guard towers, etc.

Make them into a trigger with an "on damaged" link to an explosion or other effect

When a block is a "Command Attack" MCU target you need it to be a linked entity to target it.

Yes all those linked entities will use resources. Unless you need them, just leave them as plain unspecified blocks.  

• Thanks 1

For the example above as experiment i set all blocks (not the vehicles) to normal non-linked. Rest of that mission i left alone.

The whole game speeded up quite a bit and i could use time scale up to 4x instead of 2x at the most. 

Time scale with TC missions is quite a pre. Those WW2 tanks are so slow going uphill.

Also at 2x loading cannons and driving & shooting at the same time is far more rodeo fun with enemy objects hiding behind real estate etc.

Alas you can still only do that using the cannon targeting view, an improvement would be shooting in some arcade view.

With FC i set the camera (fixcameras edited) with Alt-F2 to some 1m above the pilot's head, and that's probably almost VR like without that thang on your head.

I have a file and could post it, took a while to get it right for individual planes.

BTW At 4x tanks behave more like when you're driving an old Jaguar C-type down an English country road.

It is a pity and a limitation that is not really understandable but the two cases below could be done:

1) You cannot Spawn a flight with a leader and wingmen, or a vehicle convoy. (but you can Spawn a train loco and have the railcars).

2) You cannot Spawn and Delete objects or group of objects, I mean static ones and not linked. (There are no links here so no brainer). 

Point 2 could be fantastic in terms of map loading times and Time Dilation effects. You only load part of the map where you have action. For a Lapino map it is not useful, but for Moscow, Kuban, Rheinland, and coming Normandy where you have a lot of villages and large cities with a high large buildings density  that could be a major win in designing missions and campaigns.

For other type of groups with links all over they may be a consistency issues if links go outside the group. So I do not insist on this even if it could be done but it is more complex to manage.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, i've been looking at it, and started triggering active MCUs like trains, ships etc with a CZ and Activate command instead.

Was always a bit weary of using CZs cause someone mentioned they use a lot of processing power. Doesn't seem so however,

with a quite busy Rheinland affair i get 8x time scale LoL. 

PS- Regarding your ships convoy group i found another one with 4 ships to be triggered by a plane via a CZ,

created by the ever so clever QMB, seems to work OK:

- Ship Spawn Group.zip

Edited by jollyjack
13 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Well, i've been looking at it, and started triggering active MCUs like trains, ships etc with a CZ and Activate command instead.

Was always a bit weary of using CZs cause someone mentioned they use a lot of processing power. Doesn't seem so however,

with a quite busy Rheinland affair i get 8x time scale LoL. 

PS- Regarding your ships convoy group i found another one with 4 ships to be triggered by a plane via a CZ,

created by the ever so clever QMB, seems to work OK:

- Ship Spawn Group.zip 3.07 kB · 0 downloads

What is CZ?

Check Zone .... i placed one somewhere hidden in the hall, object linked to the wife in case she sneaks up on me shouting:

'hey, gaming' again ??, do something useful instead ..."

As experiment i put 3 trains, one fighter set, one set of ships, and about 5 ground units all triggered by the Player plane via CZs.

Well quite an CPU overload, though most of the sets were not activated ....

- CPU overload.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

That makes no sense. I have many missions with 20 or 30 stationary fighters. 50+ vehicles, 5 flights of planes and various convoys and vehicles all triggered with check zones linked to the Player.  Of course they are not all active at the same time which is the reason for the check zones. You can see my computer specs in my signature, not much better than yours. 

You must have some other issue going on. If you have 1 with either check zones on an enabled entity or a "closer" zone that is larger than a "further" zone, it will do that. Don't ask me how I know... ;) 

If you are worried about the Check zones taking up processing power, they are better than having everything active the whole mission. Also use one to activate another and disable them when they have been triggered. Like dominoes... They are not active by default as you probably know. 

Flying through zones of ground activity may leave 10 or 15 "closer" zones active, but it seems to be manageable to me. 

Edited by Jaegermeister

Yep, you're right, i threw out a few things, and after doing that with a set of activation and deactivation blocks, related to a dogfight going on, solved it ...

Gonna let the Ai suss it out in stead ....

I am still messing with Check Zones, player plane triggering 2 trains. One set works OK, but for the other another i still can't find why the train suddenly reverses ..

Guess there must be some waypointing fault.

2 separate trains runing down the same track, starting separately far apart, but i want them to stop some 200 meters from one another. at a station,

one thus arriving later. Have to do some experimenting first, maybe with proximity triggers.

2 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Yep, you're right, i threw out a few things, and after doing that with a set of activation and deactivation blocks, related to a dogfight going on, solved it ...

Gonna let the Ai suss it out in stead ....

I am still messing with Check Zones, player plane triggering 2 trains. One set works OK, but for the other another i still can't find why the train suddenly reverses ..

Guess there must be some waypointing fault.

2 separate trains runing down the same track, starting separately far apart, but i want them to stop some 200 meters from one another. at a station,

one thus arriving later. Have to do some experimenting first, maybe with proximity triggers.

Try a proximity trigger connected to a Command Formation with a Stop order linked to the Loco. It may stop the train in its tracks but I am not sure. To be tested.

• Thanks 1

A puzzle: Tried to find a block related to this wall found on the Vluki map, located south of the railway yard.

Seems some sheds are glued unto it. I wanted to use the wall some where else ...

But i could not find it as block by number; is this a specialty only on the Vluki map?

Vluki Wall.jpg

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

There are a number of specially created blocks for that map.

Guess you cannot use them elsewhere then? Trying to create a prisoner compound ...

Posted (edited)

for a POW camp this doesn't look very realistic without a proper wall or some high fences ...

POW camp test.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

It is easy to change this and have no gaps. I have a Radio station that is behind barbed wire. Just combine two blocks of barbed wire but staggered so that the fence of one will cover the gap of the other one. In this way you have a continued barbed wire line with no gaps.

• Thanks 1

Ah, that's why a station survives the bombs, fires, and other havoc, without even a broken window .

Now how does one find out which building blocks do have a damage model ?

Amazing tool, this ME the more you get to know about it, the more weird situations arise.

You experienced mission makers must pull out your hair at times ....

Hairpulling Monkey.jpg

You open the properties dialogue and add damage. If the visual model changes in the 3D view, it has a damage model. If it does not change it has no damage model. Some blocks are just deleted, some have a different appearance, and some do not change.

• Thanks 1

In general the larger unique complex buildings have no damage model (probably to spare dev time). But something standard like a unique damage model applicable to all those missing one, could have been made like a big pile of rubble with burned wood elements. That would have done the trick. 

• 2 weeks later...