Within the scope of IL2's existing feature functionality, what is the most important issue that you want to see addressed? PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION BEFORE VOTING!

Within the scope of IL2's existing feature functionality, what is the most important issue that you want to see addressed?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Within the scope of IL2's existing feature functionality, what is the most important issue that you want to see addressed?

• Damage model (AP v HE, gun harmonization, custom ammo loadouts, invincible 109 tail, etc)
    • AI (dogfighting ability, gunner ability, etc)
    • Flight model (unrealistic low speed handling, flap abuse, stall characteristics, etc)
    • Netcode optimization (support for more players, AI, bombers, etc)
    • Mission maker (better support for complex behaviors, scripting, LUA, etc)
    • VR optimizations (higher graphical fidelity with less demand on CPU/GPU)
    • Other (please reply to thread - must not be covered by one of the above options)

On 2/17/2021 at 4:11 PM, Avimimus said:

Wow... the initial responders are clearly part of the multi-player minority... how can I tell? Netcode and damage model (which is usually actually a net code issue).

Well, without throwing a hand-grenade in amongst proceedings here (at least not intentionally), the answer is in the first post:

The options for this poll were derived from this poll which was distributed across many Discord servers in the IL2 community.

So in some ways it's a self-selecting list of respondents (with single player respondents reduced to those stumbling across this thread by accident in the Polls sub-forum), so not surprising if it's skewed a little.

Now, where's my steel helmet ....think I might need it.

Edited by kendo
  • Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, kendo said:

Well, without throwing a hand-grenade in amongst proceedings here (at least not intentionally), the answer is in the first post:

So in some ways it's a self-selecting list of respondents (with single player respondents reduced to those stumbling across this thread by accident in the Polls sub-forum), so not surprising if it's skewed a little.

Now, where's my steel helmet ....think I might need it.

The questions are derived from the Discord poll, but the people answering on the Forum are not necessarily those people. That's why the poll is here. It's using the same questions so that the data is useful. Putting out two polls with different questions and then combining them defeats the point.

Now, we can argue about MP flyers being possibly over-represented on the forum but we have no data on that, and a response poll to determine that would be biased in favour of people who post more and are more likely to participate, which may still over-represent MP flyers (or SP flyers). 

Without actual 'census' style data showing associated information with the demographics of your polling population, any poll may have bias that you can't isolate for, because you can't identify what the bias might be, you can only guess and try to tweak your polling somehow...introducing your own bias of what the player base looks like.

Anyway, there's only one MP-focused option on the list, all the other ones affect things across the game and are player-type agnostic. And, as has been pointed out, a lot of things that would optimize online play would pay dividends for people playing complex singleplayer missions and help with the time dilation issue some people experience. If you reduce the load from AI, mission objects, mission logic, etc. during mission building it doesn't matter if you make it for Dogfight or Single Player, everybody benefits. Whether significant improvements are possible within the framework of the engine is another question.

The only thing missing for SP is improvements to the Career Mode or QMB. 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

The only thing missing for SP is improvements to the Career Mode or QMB. 

In addition to the poor comms, don’t forget improved AI performance and abilities.  Plus a much needed overhaul of the radio command system and interaction with the tower.  

Edited by Feathered_IV

I voted AI because there are several flaws and issues with it, I mean a LOT. DM comes in 2nd, some glaring issues like .50, 109, and many planes being able to leak coolant and oil forever. But the AI takes the cake because it can look bad in so many ways and its what cripples SP quality the most.

• Upvote 2

I voted other. I'd like to see engine modeling improved, with at least some attempt to model knock at high MP/low RPM settings, more granular temperature modeling within the engine, and fully useful cockpit gauges, such as oil and fuel pressure.

• Upvote 2

Other: nav lights and tracers that can be seen in broad daylight from miles away, very much unlike real life.

"If ambientlight > xxx lums then navlight/tracers visible from 300m and not further" (could be more accurate, but that'll do, thanks)

can't require a phd or 300 workdays to code this ?

• Upvote 2